Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I give up TPS problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Panda Eg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Panda Eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For some odd reason i get around 24 mpg city when its unplugged and only 20mph when is plugged in... lol dont get it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's definitely weird. But, why is it that with the TPS unplugged the bucking stops? What exactly is the ECU doing? Is it richening it up and maybe retarding the timing?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (gimmezell)

gimmezell, it's your distributor....well, your coil....I talked with my guy today and then borrowed a buddies dist and the car ran just fine!! when we tried mine on his, sure enough the bucking and sputtering was there....

so if you haven't already replaced the coil, then it might be it! he said to go ahead and replace the whole distributor. now, he swears by distributor king, and alot of people here don't like it or have had problems but he's had 5 now all in previous cars and never had any problems.....so that's who I went with.....but you can go with whom ever you want.

hope this helps!!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Absolutcobra)

Might be worth a try, im doing a swap in a few weeks so I guess I dont need to worry lol.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same prob of course.

I have thought about replacing the dizzy. The reason I haven't yet is because I am experiencing EXACTLY what everyone else is (bucking stops when tps is unplugged and comes back when it is plugged in)

I replaced my tps with an Omni one. I then calibrated it. I am still going through the same thing. If anything, it's worse now. Unplug the tps and everything is fine.

Can anyone explain WHY everything seems perfect with it unplugged besides the rich mix, bad millage & check engine light.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a low idle too?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a Oem Tps and then I bought the omni power one but Come to find out that the ecu wasn't getting good signal from the Tps I don't know what the difference was in the voltage there is a way to read it from the sensor to ecu but my Boy took off my wiring harness followed the wire as far as he could cut it out and put a fresh new wire problem went away but I have a 93 civic with a 94 gsr Harness.
My problem might be diffrent than yours I am good Mechanic but im bad with electric or anything other than basic wiring.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gimmezell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have a low idle too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I only have low bouncing idle and an occasional stop sign die when the tps is plugged in. With the tps unplugged, the car idles higher...enough to keep the car running and not really bouncing at all. If you can forget about the fact that the CEL is on and the bad mileage and stuff because the tps in unplugged, it's fine. Shut your eyes and the car sounds and behaves like it did brand new.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:45 PM

didnt read the whole thread but here goes... i picked up an srt 4 a while back, which are notorious for the tps going out. i switched the tps sensor out itself, to no avail. what it was was the harness was wrapped so tight to the sensor, that the wire eventually broke off inside the wire, where you would never know. It caused it to act up intermittentaly like yours. To test yours, i would wiggle the wires running to the sensor and try to pull them in and out. if it is the wires, your idle will go nuts. Just my .02 cents
Old 04-23-2008, 06:54 PM

Default Re: (boostownsme)

bump
Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's not the ECU. I swapped an known good ECU and it still does it. I'll be picking up a new/used dizzy Monday morning.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Hi guys!

I been having the same issues as everyone else here , tps connected and the car acts like a dam rodeo bull (at little throttle only) , I'm using a 3-4 month old omni power tps because 4 months ago a #7 cel came up and I changed it but now it not showing the code but acts like tps is bad. I did some readings on the tps from the ecu and it seems like is bad because it goes from .45v to like .5 .6 and then .4 again and then jumps to .7 so is not like a dead spot is more like is just not working right I'm thinking that's the reason I don't get a cel. I'm getting a new tps omni power again monday and see if that fix it. I will tell you guys what happened.Something else someone was saying that is the distributor coil and stuff , I'm all most sure is not that, whats the relation of the distributor and tps , everyone is disconnecting the tps and car runs fine ? if it was the dis the car wouldnt run even with the tps disconnected.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Default Re: (elrichardSir)

I got the new tps and changed it problem fixed here is a picture of the 4 month old omni tps . Make sure that you blox tps is working, I suggest you change it its 30dlls shipped omnipower at ebay.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That did it huh? Dang it now I have to wait another week until a new TPS gets here.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:47 PM

ok heres my problem i changed 2 tps sensors and i still get the bucking problem...i tested the volts and closed throttle its at 0 volts but at w.o.t. im at 3.6...i did this with the key completely out thas wha the hayne's says....but i read other threads an it says test it with the key in the on position is that true? im gettin constant power to it 5.6 volts so i dunno if its a break in the wire or wha but its aggrivating
Old 05-04-2008, 02:27 AM

What dizzy are you using with the y8. You said you converted to obd1 so you are using an obd1 dizzy correct. This might be your problem. You may need to use the y8 dizzy if you are not and get a jumper harness for it to plug in to the obd1 engine harness. I am having the same problem and i just had a harness made so I will install it during this week and see if it will fix this problem.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2004es2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2004es2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What dizzy are you using with the y8. You said you converted to obd1 so you are using an obd1 dizzy correct. This might be your problem. You may need to use the y8 dizzy if you are not and get a jumper harness for it to plug in to the obd1 engine harness. I am having the same problem and i just had a harness made so I will install it during this week and see if it will fix this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'me using the y8 dizzy. Got it dyno tuned with the y8 dizzy almost three years ago and every thing has been fine until recently. I've replaced the whole dizzy and still get the same thing.

Today, I opened up Crome and disabled the IACV and now I have a CEL (TPS). For some reason I thought it was due to me disabling the IACV so I re-enabled it and I still have the CEL. So I found an OBD0 TPS and as long as a OBD0 works I'll know sometime next week what's going on.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:15 PM

man, I feel bad you still haven't gotten this licked yet.

Have you checked all your grounds? My buddies SI was having the same problems, and we replaced his dizzy, and still having the problem, his TPS and MAP were fine, and we started playing with the o2 and when we wiggled it, the car would sputter and die, then thru the process of elimination we got our hands on the wiring harness and if there was any movement the car would just sputter off and die or buck and sputter for a test drive....kept at it, and found one of the ground wires was indeed barely attached and rotted away....after putting in a new ground wire....no problems since!

if y
Old 05-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did your friends Si have a CEL of any kind?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same prob here i replaced my t/b and map and it went away. the map was real bad it was all over the place on his computer and my tps was off .5mv.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (biggdogg)

gimmezell, no CEL at all....just a bad ground so it didn't throw any codes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys finally figured it out.

I did a swap last weekend and got it running and it is still doing the bucking at partal throttle.. so I found out that it is the connection to the tps sensor- not the tps sensor it self.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM

Default Re: I GIVE UP tps problem (gimmezell)

i had the same problem with my car i had no check engine light...came out to be it was the throotle body..so ithink you should replace your throttle body and you'll be good...you could get one at the junk yard for like $60 bucks get with all the sensors so you wont have worried about any thing!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I GIVE UP tps problem (egcarmelo)

I was thinking it was that as well, but Before I had this motor in my car it was in my buddies integra and it didnt do this at all. So I am positive it is the wiring to the plug of the tps
Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blk00EJ8)

your tps is is a potentiometer theres a carbon strip a needle rides on and the carbon creates the resistance and give you your input voltage if the carbon is bad from the factory.. being u paid 15 im sure its not the best out there it could, and sounds to be the tps i would get a oem from honda..
Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (del_slow420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del_slow420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your tps is is a potentiometer theres a carbon strip a needle rides on and the carbon creates the resistance and give you your input voltage if the carbon is bad from the factory.. being u paid 15 im sure its not the best out there it could, and sounds to be the tps i would get a oem from honda..</TD></TR></TABLE>
I installed a used OEM one this morning and drove to work and back and it hasn't bucked. I'm pretty sure this fixed my problem. Or it could have been a loose bolt on my blox tps. I started to remove the blox tps and the lower bolt was loose enough that I could turn the screw with my hand. It's fixed for the time being I'll keep you posted if all is well in a week or so.

Quick Reply: I give up TPS problem.