Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I feel like this is common.... Pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel like this is common.... Pic inside

Well, As you can see oil is seeping out of the block where the head meets the block. My compression is down slightly in cylinder 3 (if cylinder order is 1324 which i think it is) hope that wasnt too noob. Anyway, all other cylinders were 260... and i just want to know if this is head gasket? I have an aebs cam seal in there which is what i was told would prevent this type of thing...so if anyone has suggestions theyd be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Eric

Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: I feel like this is common.... Pic inside (StreetEG)

Hmm, not good man. Looks to me like its related to teh head gasket...nto a cam seal. They only prevent seapage from teh cam area itself...not from between the head and the blcok.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I feel like this is common.... Pic inside (xEnderx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, not good man. Looks to me like its related to teh head gasket...nto a cam seal. They only prevent seapage from teh cam area itself...not from between the head and the blcok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, but just to throw my $.02 in I was leaking coolant one time from where the upper radiator hose meets the motor and it leaked into that very same spot. So it could probably leak oil into that spot.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

cylinder order is 1234 going from the drivers side to the passenger side where the tranny meets the block.

the firing order is 1342, as in the cylinders explode in that order, they are named after their simple location though, so you're seeing oil at the passenger side of the block, or near cylinder 4.

firing order is inside out, first the inside driver fires, then the outside driver, inside passenger, outside passenger, 3421 3421 3421 3421
but if you "start the count" at 1, its 1342.

hope that helps something.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

mine does the same..also a 1st gen b16.. whats the deal..head gasket?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: I feel like this is common.... Pic inside (StreetEG)

looks like a leaky head gasket. Do a leak down test to confirm.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGmikeH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the firing order is 1342, as in the cylinders explode in that order,.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sure hope your cylinders don't "explode" like that
Old 11-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evs-One)

lol yeah under regular circumstances, engines dont explode, they combust

that leaking oil happens to alot of motors i work on.

did you just take off yoru valve cover, cause if so, when you take it off, the oil from the engine seeps into the groove where the gasket sits, then when you put it back on, it leaks from outside a pretty good amount (usually the trail of oil comes down between the distributor and vtec sol. try cleaning off the motor and see if it still does it. usually it does that for a while, then it stops.

if your holding 260 in your worst cyl, its not your head gasket
Old 11-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same prob but i was told by the shop that did my head hasket that most b16's leak from there. when u change ur headgasket u just have to use a sealent to make it seal nice and tight.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XkjeldorX)

if a shop ever tells you you need a sealant to make your headgasket fit, you should not go back to that shop...

if you think the headgasket doesnt sit right, the correct thing to do is to resurface the head and the block. you should put NOTHING on the headgasket
Old 11-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (gold EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gold EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if a shop ever tells you you need a sealant to make your headgasket fit, you should not go back to that shop...

if you think the headgasket doesnt sit right, the correct thing to do is to resurface the head and the block. you should put NOTHING on the headgasket </TD></TR></TABLE>

Werd. Thats the purpose fo the gasket in the first place.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:05 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I sure hope your cylinders don't "explode" like that</TD></TR></TABLE>

ex·plode Audio pronunciation of "explode" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-spld)
v. ex·plod·ed, ex·plod·ing, ex·plodes
v. intr.

1. To release mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy by the sudden production of gases in a confined space.

com·bust Audio pronunciation of "combust" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-bst)
v. com·bust·ed, com·bust·ing, com·busts
v. intr.

1. To catch fire; burst into flame

-dictionary.com powns joo
Old 11-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that oil leak right there is so common on hondas, its possible that its the cam seal but usually it is the headgasket...
Old 11-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LShatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aspec101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like a leaky head gasket. Do a leak down test to confirm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone in the delaware area have the equipment to do a leakdown for me?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gold EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
did you just take off yoru valve cover, cause if so, when you take it off, the oil from the engine seeps into the groove where the gasket sits, then when you put it back on, it leaks from outside a pretty good amount (usually the trail of oil comes down between the distributor and vtec sol. try cleaning off the motor and see if it still does it. usually it does that for a while, then it stops.

if your holding 260 in your worst cyl, its not your head gasket</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ya i just cleaned it off then took it to redline in 2nd and 3rd twice, and came back to see if there was a leak/how bad and that was the picture after 5 minutes of hard driving.

If it is the headgasket, its like 60 bucks and some labor which can be fixed...I am not a fan of the fact that my compression is down in cylinder 3. I was hoping there was some relation. Anyway, thanks for all the help...I guess ill get a leakdown and then keep everyone posted
Old 11-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGmikeH22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ex·plode Audio pronunciation of "explode" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-spld)
v. ex·plod·ed, ex·plod·ing, ex·plodes
v. intr.

1. To release mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy by the sudden production of gases in a confined space.

com·bust Audio pronunciation of "combust" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-bst)
v. com·bust·ed, com·bust·ing, com·busts
v. intr.

1. To catch fire; burst into flame

-dictionary.com powns joo</TD></TR></TABLE>

knowledge of an internal combustion engine owns you.

the AF mixture does not explode. it burns rapidly and expands. thats what moves the piston smoothly and with the most power.

any exploding in the combustion chamber is known as detonation. and thats bad.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

owned, thanks combustion chamber = combust, not called an explosion chamber
Old 11-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone in the delaware area have the equipment to do a leakdown for me?

Ya i just cleaned it off then took it to redline in 2nd and 3rd twice, and came back to see if there was a leak/how bad and that was the picture after 5 minutes of hard driving.

If it is the headgasket, its like 60 bucks and some labor which can be fixed...I am not a fan of the fact that my compression is down in cylinder 3. I was hoping there was some relation. Anyway, thanks for all the help...I guess ill get a leakdown and then keep everyone posted</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was trying to say its the valve cover gasket, not the head gasket. 260 aint bad, dont change the headgasket, waste of money (unless you find that it really is bad).

all you need for a leakdown really is an air compressor and a nozzel threaded like a sparkplug with an o ring (home depot). you dont really need the guage, just turn to 100psi and listen to hear leak in the throttle body, dipstick, and the exhaust. the only diff between a leak down guage is it tells you how much its leaking.

oh yeah, when you do this, make sure each piston is at fire position or tdc for its cycle
Old 11-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo. my gsr was doing the same thing... it's probably nothing to worry about. For me, it was coming from my vtec solenoid. replace the gasket and it should clear right up.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Global Moderator

Check under your distributor area, it could be the dizzy o-ring. goodluck!
Old 11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gold EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh yeah, when you do this, make sure each piston is at fire position or tdc for its cycle</TD></TR></TABLE>

damnit...just when i thought i knew a lot about working on my own car i have no idea how to go about doing that. Ill check my gaskets and keep everyone posted tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 11-20-2005, 06:48 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Default Re: (StreetEG)

I've heard the reason for seepage in that area is because the oil passage for the head on vtec motors is right there.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, not good man. Looks to me like its related to teh head gasket...nto a cam seal. They only prevent seapage from teh cam area itself...not from between the head and the blcok.</TD></TR></TABLE> i2ND THIS GUYI
Old 11-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I feel like this is common.... Pic inside (lazybrown187)

i have had this problem before....i took the head off and use the same head studs and then booste4d my car...and the problem was that the head was coming off the block just enough for oil to come out...i replaced my head studs the arp's and it worked fine then...oil was leaking from the same place that mine was...
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I feel like this is common.... Pic inside (yaaj1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yaaj1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have had this problem before....i took the head off and use the same head studs and then booste4d my car...and the problem was that the head was coming off the block just enough for oil to come out...i replaced my head studs the arp's and it worked fine then...oil was leaking from the same place that mine was...</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your head comes up just enuf to leak, you would have lost all your cylinder pressure.

so far people who have said
vtec seal, cam oring, distributor oring are what i would bet on. i still think its the valve cover gasket. everytime you take off the valve cover, it leaks like that. it just looks like the head gasket is leaking because the oil ends up sitting on that little ridge, it doesnt mean its leaking from there.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (You_Get_Vapors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by You_Get_Vapors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard the reason for seepage in that area is because the oil passage for the head on vtec motors is right there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is a picture of my b16a head. the yellow arrow is pointing at the vtec oil pressure passage. as you can see its on the intake side of the head, wich is the back, so it cant be leaking oil from there. it could possibly leak from the oil return, but that is not pressurized, so i doubt it would leak.

its not leaking from the head gasket.

Quick Reply: I feel like this is common.... Pic inside