Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hypa's 96' (new to me) project civic. Opinions, tech questions, and the odd pic.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypa's 96' (new to me) project civic. Opinions, tech questions, and the odd pic.

Hello honda-tech, it's been a long time.

After playing with Subarus for the last decade, I was given the chance to snag a clean 96' civic cx from a family friend for the princely sum of $500. Sure, the engine and tranny are making horrible grinding noises, but the car is clean, and the interior is surprisingly mint, so I grabbed it with the plan to build myself a high revving "track *****".

My first plan is to lose the stock 4 lug and rear drums, and replace them with ITR bits. I have the opportunity to snag a local 5 lug conversion. The seller also happens to have an ITR subframe and steering rack, although I'm not too sure that would be worth the $700 asking price... 3.2 turns LTL is a lot shorter than 3.8 turns, and the combo price is a lot less than the Quaife option.

I've read a lot about steering rack and pinion options around here, and I know there are options for quicker steering, but my plan is to ITR the hell out of this car, and the rack/subframe combo is a lot more elegant than a frankenrack.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hypa's 96' (new to me) project civic. Opinions, tech questions, and the odd pic.

Just for shyts and giggles, here are some pics of my other cars.

67' Beaumont

other 67' Beaumont (hidden in the back)

The rzr, STi and Tundra

Back when I was a Honda-tech regular, I ran this.

It was a 9lb jrsc powered 1.9L b18c with meth, and 250whp on a heartbreaker dyno. It ran 13.2 @ 105 and was a hell of a fun track/autoX car. I sold it when I bought my first STi in 04'.

I miss the candie'd CF hood the most.

cheers!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: hypa's 96' (new to me) project civic. Opinions, tech questions, and the odd pic.

I remember when a 13 second integra was considered "fast", lol.

Nice collection
Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old guys back in cars that started their mod addictions.

1990 Honda Civic FTW, bought it brand new had the windows tinted dropped on lightspeed springs, rolling Fittipaldi Fitti-Indys and I thought I was finished. Then kids from Japan starting bringing in JDM grey market parts and that was it. I actually wanted to get the Mugen emblem tattooed on my arm, hahaha.

22yrs later and I'm rockin a R and you have the Civic. Jdm parts are still costly but we have more $$$

hypa, don't get banned from this forum.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice clean pick up BC has a lot of clean cars if you look around, especial when compared to Alberta, lol
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, you should have kept the teg...
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow great price for a running shell. I can't wait to see a build thread. Congrats!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
I remember when a 13 second integra was considered "fast", lol.

Nice collection
hahaha, so true.
I remember the first Honda to hit 11's at our local track back in 02'. It was like losing our collective virginity, things were never the same.

Originally Posted by jason t
hypa, don't get banned from this forum.
I'm too tired to pick fights these days.

Originally Posted by Deetz
Nice clean pick up BC has a lot of clean cars if you look around, especial when compared to Alberta, lol
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by Jspec-R
damn, you should have kept the teg...
That was a long time ago, and I was in a different place in life.
At the time, playing with AWD turbos was a lot of fun, but these days something about civics just feels right. Plus, I have to beat jason t's ITR around the track, and that's not going to be easy.

Originally Posted by Kaleko
Wow great price for a running shell. I can't wait to see a build thread. Congrats!
Thanks man!
I'm trying to pick up the 5 lug this weekend. Let's hope that works out so I can add to the thread.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed.