Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hydro-locking

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydro-locking

i have two questions one hydro-locking is where water gets in your intake and ***** **** up.

if you hydro-lock your car is it repairable or do you need new engine?

TIA
Old 10-09-2003, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hydro-locking (screech)

it mainly depends. the engine could be rebuildable, but sometimes it really messes things up.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:06 PM
New User

Depends on the severity of hydro-lock. I've hyro-locked a 94 toyota pick up and with a couple oil changes, she started back up. On the other hand, I've heard of stories where people bend and break internals from hydro locking. Does carb/fuel injection play a big role on how the motor reacts to hydro locking??
Old 10-09-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Re: hydro-locking (Kalokohan)

i was driving through a puddle and my car just died no puttering just straight up died. tried to restart heard a thud from engine bay dont know wtf is goin on just pissed.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:27 PM
New User

I wouldn't try to restart it again, trying to crank the motor could result in the bending of rods. Have you changed the oil? If you can afford the downtime, I would let the oil drain for about a day maybe two.....that should help drain all the oil and water that got in the cylinders.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Well what happens is that water doesn't compress like gasoline and air do. When water is sucked into the engine, it goes into the cylinders just like the gas and air do, and the cylinders attempt to compress it. However, since water doesnt compress the water will be shoved into the head and bend valves, or the tremendous force of the crankshaft on the connecting rods will bend them, or other bad things. Usually the result of hydrolocking is a thrown connecting rod (meaning the crank pushed on the rod, but the rod had nowhere to go because the piston couldnt go any higher because of the water) and the rod ends up getting pushed out of the block. Of course it could be a lot less severe, but you'll definitely need to take your motor apart and see what all is wrong with it.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hydro-locking (BauleyCivic)

Sometimes you get lucky. A chick in my auto class has an integra and she was tellin me she went through a puddle and it stalled. But it started right back up. I guess the wated just evaporated
Old 10-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hydro-locking (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well what happens is that water doesn't compress like gasoline and air do. When water is sucked into the engine, it goes into the cylinders just like the gas and air do, and the cylinders attempt to compress it. However, since water doesnt compress the water will be shoved into the head and bend valves, or the tremendous force of the crankshaft on the connecting rods will bend them, or other bad things. Usually the result of hydrolocking is a thrown connecting rod (meaning the crank pushed on the rod, but the rod had nowhere to go because the piston couldnt go any higher because of the water) and the rod ends up getting pushed out of the block. Of course it could be a lot less severe, but you'll definitely need to take your motor apart and see what all is wrong with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Great explination man!!
Old 10-10-2003, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove your spark plugs and crank the engine to see if water comes out - if so - vacuum - rags - compressed air - whatever you can do to get the water out of the engine -

crank the engine with coil or ignition wires disconnected (so it will not fire up) to make sure that there is very little or no water - with that, and a couple of oil changes you should be good to go - provided you have not damaged anything already.

If you truly do have time - pull the head and the oil pan.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hydro-locking (93CivicSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93CivicSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remove your spark plugs and crank the engine to see if water comes out - if so - vacuum - rags - compressed air - whatever you can do to get the water out of the engine -

crank the engine with coil or ignition wires disconnected (so it will not fire up) to make sure that there is very little or no water - with that, and a couple of oil changes you should be good to go - provided you have not damaged anything already.

If you truly do have time - pull the head and the oil pan.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is what I did the second time it happened in my Type R. The first time I took off the intake and she cranked right up I drove it home with open throttle body. Didn't do any serious damage luckily.