Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:39 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrid input please!

The plan: JDM B16A swap
The car: 92 CX EH2
The goal: Two days...

Alright, I'm getting close to go time. I will be ordering the engine in a few weeks, at most couple months.

I'm going to be doing the swap in friends garage, he has everything, only thing he doesn't have is a hoist. I'm going to buy him hoist for the cost of labor, of course I'm doing the swap with him. And are were going to get drunk? Yes...

The questions are: Should I buy complete, or just get shift linkage, motor mounts, and axles used, or will they just turn out to be more than the extra cost of the complete?

During the week before the swap I'm going to do a tune-up. Plugs, cap & rotor, timing belt, change the oils, etc. Should I wait until the engine is in before I do a valve adjustment? I'm fearing the worse, if the engine doesn't run, I'm going to have to rent a car for the the bus - of course use the warrenty if the engine isn't running.

I plan on adjusting the timing, should I just order some damn cam gears before I install the timing belt? Save me trouble later.

Will the stock cx downpipe/cat/exhaust fit with the stock B16A header? If not I'm going to run open header for awhile until I order an exhaust. ((I will drive low rpms until full exhaust no backpressure, don't want to blow the new motor.)) Could someone recommend one me right now? I plan on a JDM ITR 4-1 header.

I'm a search nut, BTW. I would just like some recent input, plus I couldn't find all the answers... Any insight would be great! Thanks...

The hybrid fourm is my second choice, I would just rather start here! Just to let you know Tom...

Oh yeah, A/C is coming out - do I need any block-off plugs or plates?

Old 03-28-2003, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hybrid input please! (w00t!)

Thats the same setup that I have only my shell is a '93 CX. Although I bought the complete swap, you might actually be better off buying hasport mounts (helps with wheel hop, engine vibration and hood clearence, which is only a problem with some of the CF hoods). The axles and linkage you can pick up pretty cheap from autozone and/or ebay. To be honest, it won't really effect ur cost too much either way.

A tune up is a good idea and if you already know you are gonna purchase aftermarket cam gears, then you are better off installing them when the engine is out of the car. Its easier that way.

At first, we just elimated the cat and bolted the rest of the system straight up to the header but this of course caused some rubbing since the whole exhaust was pulled towards the front a few inches.. you can either get midas to just weld in an extension or just wait until you get an aftermarket exhaust (you shouldnt have to run open header). There actually might be a better solution to this problem then we came up with, so maybe someone else can chime in.

If I were you, I would just do a custom exhaust setup, that way you can get the best fit for your application.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Hybrid input please! (Nine)

Custom bent pipes with a 2.5 inch catco cat, 2.5 in/out magnaflow resonator and muffler and your car will sound nice.

I'd reconsider the B16, personally. If you're going to turbo or spray on it, good deal. If not, you'll be unimpressed with the torque delivery.

PS not trying to start an anti-B16 thread. Just commenting on what I know
Old 03-28-2003, 04:09 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hybrid input please! (Archidictus)

Thanks for the insight guys!

I know, I plan on dragging sometimes. But mostly I want a decent quick daily driver and future auto cross car. Until' I get a second ride. I might spray it couple times for the f**k of it.

I think I'll go with the exhaust setup you discribed, but an ES oval muffler.

Oh yeah, since the interior is coming out once the engine is in, does anyone have a good hiding place for the ECU? Or should I just make a cover for it.

I do have some nice *** momo floor matts, I guess they'll cover the ecu.

One more question? Are the fuel filter for a CX and a B16A different/larger than each other? I'm going to replace fuel filter next weekend along with a PSI gauge so I'm ready for the swap...

Thanks agian.