Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HX build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HX build

Hey everyone. I am currently in the process of my first motor build. I have done a lot of research, and still continuing. I will post pictures along my journey. I live in an apartment, so I set up a little 'shop.' Baller on a Budget. I am open to suggestions along the way, but I do not want bullshit.

I currently own an EJ7, which has the underestimated D16Y5. My goal for this build is to sit around 200hp, +/- 50hp, but still get around 40mpg's. I plan on using the Y5 due to the use of roller rockers, lower RPM for VTEC to kick in, and the swirl in the combustion chamber at low RPMs.

I am starting my build by building a semi-temporary motor. I will end up building this block for my final motor, so I'm knocking it out now. This temp motor is the D16Z6. This motor has been said to have a better oil flow than the Y series block, without modification. I picked this motor up from a buddy of mine, it has a thrown bearing. At this moment, I have the pistons/rods, end cap, and head removed from the block. Still trying to get the under drive pulley bolt off. That is a bitch. The 3 pics uploaded, full Z6, block of the Z6, head and clutch of Z6.

Signing off for tonight.
Attached Images    
Old 01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HX build

Damn, those are a little big. I'll make them all smaller as I go.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:17 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks fine to me.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a few more pics of the Z6 tear down.
Attached Images     
Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got home from work about an hour ago, and I managed to get the crank bolt out and took the flywheel off. Taking a quick break to type up this, take a few pics, elevate my mood, and go get some gloves. As of now, the block is a hell of a lot easier to disassemble than I originally thought.

Now for the moment, I am still trying to decide what pistons I should use. My buddy has a set of Wiseco turbo pistons. The website says they are 8.5:1 C:R for the 92-95 1.6L SOHC, and 8.8:1 C:R for the 96-00 1.6L SOHC. Now is that block specific, or head specific? I am trying to keep my C:R around 9:1. And if the C:R of the pistons are of the head, these are a possibility.

On the other hand, I could go with a piston closer sized to stock. If any one has any good companies that I should check out, or from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, not "I heard this or that," or "My buddy...," bullshit.

In the mean time, I have a machine shop to call up to check my crank where the bearing threw. If its ****, any suggestions? Or just get a new stock crank?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed,

just to clear it up....are you going to use the z6 block with the y5 head for your "HX build"?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes.

So on my way out, I ran into a local who just bought a civic for his daughter. Started chattin with him about the car since he had the hood popped. He picked up a 93, 2 dr with 75000 miles for $1750! Took him 2 years to find one in this good of a condition.

I got the water pump, oil pump, crank and the rest of the random **** still on the block.
Attached Images        
Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the temp build, it'll be the built Z6 block with the stock head, converted to obd2 for ease and hoping that the p2p ecu that I laying around will work. Does anyone have any input on this ecu and head combo?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update. I've figured out what pistons I'm using, I just need to save some money. It's going to cost $250 to get the block bored.

Now in the process of the build, I have to keep the motor in my car running. I had bad idle hunt, so I cleaned the EGR, TB, replaced their gaskets, and replaced the IACV and gasket. Then my secondary O2 sensor wiring had a fault. Replaced that Monday and now she idles like a champ.

I also believe my 2-3 gear syncro is bad because it sometimes gets stuck in 2nd, or hard to get out, hard to shift into 3rd. So I picked up a Y8 trans, which needs an input shaft bearing and seals. So I'm giving it a try at taking the trans apart. Got the case off last night. Not too difficult yet.
Attached Images     
Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got everything out of the trans. Gave me hell. When in doubt, hit the input shaft lightly with a piece of wood. The input shaft bearing race is no more, and the ***** are all over the place. Went to tap out the ISB and it fell apart. I cant find anywhere on how to get it out.

Spent $114.xx at Honda on a new ISB, IS oil seal, both axel seals, and throwout bearing. -__-
Attached Images          
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice nice
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck on the build...
Old 02-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build

Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. It has been going a lot easier than I originally thought, so far. Except for having no money. So I just got the ISB out. I had a genius idea while high in the shower last night haha. I repacked the ball bearings into the two rings. I stuffed little rolls of paper towel between the bearings to evenly space them out. Using a hammer and pry bar, tapped that bitch out. So now to clean the trans up and reassemble it. I'm working OT tomorrow, so if I have time tomorrow, swap her out. If not, Sunday before the Super Bowl.
Attached Images   
Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope the build goes well
Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the new oil seal and ISB in. Got the gear set in. Waiting on the other axle seal from Honda. And I have to get trans oil and gray RTV seal for the trans case.
Attached Images     
Old 02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I stopped at Honda after work, and those ******** close at 3. But no big deal because it decided to rain, snow, then rain. And my buddy had something going on, so tonight is a no go. Working again tomorrow, so due to that and the Super Bowl, it is a definite no. Next weekend is my goal. I got the reverse gear, shaft, and fork put back in. If I can find my needle nose pliers to open the bearing ring, I'll put the RTV on and seal 'er up.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribd

Sweet bild bro

Lots of work but it sure will pay off when it hits the pavement
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tough build. You got it maaan. Long road.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by groundup.
Lots of work but it sure will pay off when it hits the pavement
Yeah I hope so. The trans I have in it now isn't stock. Its a 95 Si trans, so the gear ratio is short as ****, and has a short 5th, so it gets shitty mpg. This trans is from the Y8, so a little longer 5th. I'm working as much OT as possible to get the block done.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got the trans all closed up. I used gray RTV for the gasket. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to swap it in.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha, started building mine and its been almost a year and a half now, everything still sitting in the garage untouched...although all i have left to do is get my block bored and honed. still have my fully pnp head in the box it came when it was shipped! all in all, good luck, i'll look into your build for motivation when spring comes!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Nice project really looking forward to see it when its done. Single cam motors are underestimated and when built the right way they can be just as fun and fast as any B series motor.

Happy Building!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm part of a Save the SOHC movement. A buddy of mine pulled over 850hp out of a D... Talk about holy ****.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, i like to "elevate" my mood before i work on my civic too!

Quick Reply: HX build