Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hubcentric rings

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hubcentric rings

How many of you use these and how important are they? I'm really talking about Japanese wheels which seem to be much harder to get with rings. I have a set of Volk CE28N's and they did not come with the rings. Mackin says "no big deal". The hub on my 99si is 56 and they volks are a 65, they are 15x7in. wheels. Is this something I should be concerned about? I don't really seem to have any vibration in the steering wheel as of yet.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hubcentric rings (Obee1.8)

without rings, your wheel studs are supporting the weight of the vehicle. With centering rings, the hub supports the weight of the vehicle (as it was designed to do) and the studs just keep the wheels on (as they were designed to do). Do it the right way, get the rings.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hubcentric rings (94CivicSi)

You can get hubrings for under $25 for all of them. Definately worth the peace of mind. I have them on with my rota slipstreams.
I got mine at http://www.seriousauto.com/wheels-ti...slipstream.htm

[Modified by dwnthehatch, 2:25 PM 5/28/2002]
Old 05-28-2002, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Hubcentric rings (dwnthehatch)

Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone know where I might find a set in a 56x65,as I said before,Mackin does not,or so they tell me.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hubcentric rings (94CivicSi)

Actually, friction between the brake rotor and the back of the wheel is what supports the car. The lugs aren't really supporting the wheel vertically. I know this seems counter-intuitive, but it's true.

That said, my SSR Competitions came with metal hubcentric rings. I personally feel their purpose is to center the wheel correctly. My second set of wheels came with plastic rings which are crap. If you run the car hard (roadracing), they might even melt... it's been known to happen. I can't imagine pushing hard enough on the street for this to happen though. Honda's were designed to be lug-centric and I wouldn't worry too much about having/finding rings.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hubcentric rings (JeffS)

Honda's were designed to be lug-centric and I wouldn't worry too much about having/finding rings.
Honda rims are lugcentric?
Old 05-28-2002, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Friend of mine has the CE28's too, and his came with the rings. Use them, I wouldn't risk ruining a expensive set of wheels.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Hubcentric rings (Gump)

last summer i had 16" tsw blades..these came with hubcentric rings...when i removed them for winter, they had melted on...now this summer i have 18" momo sports, i removed the momo's once already, and noticed that the rings that have melted have actually bonded or melted onto my new wheels...i know a lot of people who dont use them, no problems
Old 05-28-2002, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Hubcentric rings (JeffS)

Actually, friction between the brake rotor and the back of the wheel is what supports the car. The lugs aren't really supporting the wheel vertically. I know this seems counter-intuitive, but it's true.

That said, my SSR Competitions came with metal hubcentric rings. I personally feel their purpose is to center the wheel correctly. My second set of wheels came with plastic rings which are crap. If you run the car hard (roadracing), they might even melt... it's been known to happen. I can't imagine pushing hard enough on the street for this to happen though. Honda's were designed to be lug-centric and I wouldn't worry too much about having/finding rings.
The problem is I can't find the size I need. Since your on the topic of plastic rings,I know a shop that said they would machine me a set for about $20 each I will have the car on the track this summer,so unless I find some,I guess i'll have to buck up and get them made.Thanks.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually most aftermarket (non hubcentric) rims are made with the same wheel bore diameter. Basically the O.D of the hubcentric ring will be the same as the wheel bore and the I.D of the ring will be sized to your hub bore.

So...if you can find out for certain whether or not your Volk rims do share the same measurement as one of the wheels offered by the TireRack (i.e SSR, Kosei, etc), then you'll be able to order it from them. I forgot how much they charged me for my aluminum hubcentric rings, but it was definately less than $20 a piece.
Old 05-29-2002, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good playa!!!
Old 05-29-2002, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Hubcentric rings (supersonic dc2)

Actually most aftermarket (non hubcentric) rims are made with the same wheel bore diameter. Basically the O.D of the hubcentric ring will be the same as the wheel bore and the I.D of the ring will be sized to your hub bore.

So...if you can find out for certain whether or not your Volk rims do share the same measurement as one of the wheels offered by the TireRack (i.e SSR, Kosei, etc), then you'll be able to order it from them. I forgot how much they charged me for my aluminum hubcentric rings, but it was definately less than $20 a piece.
I tought the same,but the guy I spoke to at Tire Rack said that they would not sell me the rings because I did not get the wheels from them I know the civic hub is a 56 and the CE28Ns are a 65,maybe it's a matter of getting the right person to pick up the phone when you call?
Old 05-29-2002, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Hubcentric rings (bigmouthcivic)

looks good playa!!!
Oh yeah,your car...
Old 05-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tought the same,but the guy I spoke to at Tire Rack said that they would not sell me the rings because I did not get the wheels from them I know the civic hub is a 56 and the CE28Ns are a 65,maybe it's a matter of getting the right person to pick up the phone when you call?
Well, first of all...find out on your own (w/out the assistance of the Tire Rack) which hubcentric rings will fit. If I remember correctly, the rings I got from TireRack for my Kosei K1s had the same measurements. And the next time you call, don't tell them your whole story just say you need hubcentric rings for a certain wheel and a certain car.

Infact, they sent out the rings even though I had only purchased tires from them (I bought the wheels from a friend). Speak to Woody, he was the salesmen that helped me out.

HTH