Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to reflare brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to reflare brake lines?

i searched even under archived and found nothing.

i am installing a ITR brake booster and ITR M/C to match my 5 lug conversion.
how do i reflare the brake lines? also what tool do i need and where can i find it?
Old 01-07-2004, 04:55 PM
EJ1_519

Default Re: how to reflare brake lines? (nextelbuddy)

You need a flaring kit
http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/ft-1.htm

Old 01-07-2004, 05:07 PM
H-T White Ops

Take your lines to a plumbing or AC shop. They might be able to hook you up right then and there. It literally only takes seconds to do a flare.
Or you can buy a kit at lowes, ace, home depot type places.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:11 PM

i dont recomend you trying to do this yourself cause the honda lines are a double flare and are very tuff to do when your in a bind it takes alot of pratice take it off and go to a shop
Old 01-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spencedogg)

i see how they flare the actual end of theline with that tool. but how do i REBEND the brake lines the proper way? is there another tool for that as well?

what if i got the 2 brake lines that go from the proportioning valve to the M/C from the integra ITR? if i could buy the actual lines from the ITR then would that work better? would it fit at all? how much do they usualy cost?
Old 01-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, you need a pipe bender to properly angle the lines w/o pinching them
Old 01-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

so do i really need to reflare the brake lines? couldnt i take off my old M/C and unbolt the old brake lines then with the M/C out just use a PIPE BENDER to properly bend the lines to the new position to accomodate the new M/C?
Old 01-07-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

you can buy a tube bending tool and a double flaring tool at auto parts stores,it takes some practice and you can break/pinch the line fairly easy so be careful.Flaring or double flaring is not that complicated I replaced both rear brake lines on a taurus wagon and it was pretty easy.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:39 PM
H-T White Ops

no need for the fancy tube bender. Ace sells bending springs. You slide the spring over your line. Get the right size one and you won't kink the line.
As far as the double flare thing goes, if you get a kit, it should come with the adapter to make the double flare. I work in an HVAC shop and we do more flaring than you can immagine. Double flares are a **** to do if you have some tough tubing to do.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joecivic93)

interesting.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Plan B)

i underatand what u guys are saying, but why is the flaring necessary? cant you just leave the flared ends alone and just use a pipe bender and rebend the lines? and once you bend the lines to the desired location then you dont have to worry about reflaring anything because your brake lines are still flared already since all you did was simply rebend the brake lines with a pipe bender.

is this not possible? i dont see why it wouldnt . i just want to get some personal feed back from people that have actually done this.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nextelbuddy)

anyone?
Old 01-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i underatand what u guys are saying, but why is the flaring necessary? cant you just leave the flared ends alone and just use a pipe bender and rebend the lines? and once you bend the lines to the desired location then you dont have to worry about reflaring anything because your brake lines are still flared already since all you did was simply rebend the brake lines with a pipe bender.

is this not possible? i dont see why it wouldnt . i just want to get some personal feed back from people that have actually done this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump before i go to bed
Old 01-07-2004, 07:31 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

sure, you can just bend the lines if you're not going to cut off the flared end. just be careful not to kink it.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure, you can just bend the lines if you're not going to cut off the flared end. just be careful not to kink it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your confirming that i really dnt have to reflare the brake lines that i can get away with just bending the brake lines carefully?

where can i get something that can bend these lines?
Old 01-07-2004, 07:42 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Don't hold my feet to the fire, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to reflare anything if you leave what's already flared alone. You can either try to bend the lines [carefully] by hand, or you can get a small pipe bender from home depot, or if you want to be spiffy and spend lots of money, NOS makes a tool for bending hard lines. Just be VERY careful, because if you kink it, you'll be replacing it.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

i know there are at least 1 or 2 people on here that have had to do this. anyone ?????
Old 01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I just did this for my hatch [actually my friend did, while I smoke jacks]..

anyways, Flaring I believe is used for people who want to cut their brake lines a little shorter, and then have to reflare them to work. They do this for the more OEM look.

We just bent the brake lines for mine with a pipe bender [home depot] and were lucky enough not to kink any of the lines...

So its up to you really...
Old 01-07-2004, 11:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what if i got the 2 brake lines that go from the proportioning valve to the M/C from the integra ITR? if i could buy the actual lines from the ITR then would that work better? would it fit at all? how much do they usualy cost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if i recall right. the prop valve on a R is on the passenger shock tower. while on an eg (from your avator) it is mounted on the firewall. so that being the R lines will be longer. as for flaring the brake lines, only the line that mounts on the left of the ITR MC need to be cut and reflared for a factory look. the other line that goes on the right side can be carefully bent by your hands. but before try to flare the line, test it out on another line because it was a pita to flare it. the line kept on slipping out of the holder. so good luck and hope this make sense
Old 01-08-2004, 12:18 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (navin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by navin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyways, Flaring I believe is used for people who want to cut their brake lines a little shorter, and then have to reflare them to work. They do this for the more OEM look....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it has nothing to do with OEM. You can't hook your lines up unless you flare 'em. Unless you're talking about getting fancy aftermarket anodized aluminum fitting, then I stand corrected.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (navin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by navin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I just did this for my hatch [actually my friend did, while I smoke jacks]..

anyways, Flaring I believe is used for people who want to cut their brake lines a little shorter, and then have to reflare them to work. They do this for the more OEM look.

We just bent the brake lines for mine with a pipe bender [home depot] and were lucky enough not to kink any of the lines...

So its up to you really...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i really dont care for looks as much as i do gettin gthis done. so what your saying is i can jus go ot home depot or LOWES and but a pipe bender and just carefully bend the metal brake lines to the disired position?

if so then thanx
Old 01-08-2004, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the best thing for you to do is go to pep boys and buy a DOUBLE INVERTED FLARING TOOL and a brake line tubing bender. the flaring tool is very easy to use as long as you have been through elementary school because it is a matter of reading the instructions. just get a new peice of tubing and the correct fittings bend the tubing accordingly and place fittings on the line and flare

VIOLA you have a new, correctly done, brake line
Old 01-08-2004, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dirtyd463)

oh btw the rear brake line fitting on the itr master cylinder has a different fitting size on th rear brake line port. you will need to get the correct size fitting in order to do this conversion. it uses the same fitting as a gsr and 94-95 civic ex w/abs
it is i think a 10mmx1.0 or 1.25 thread on the fitting i cant remember for shure
Old 01-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dirtyd463)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dirtyd463 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh btw the rear brake line fitting on the itr master cylinder has a different fitting size on th rear brake line port. you will need to get the correct size fitting in order to do this conversion. it uses the same fitting as a gsr and 94-95 civic ex w/abs
it is i think a 10mmx1.0 or 1.25 thread on the fitting i cant remember for shure</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh man that sux. so even if i just rebent the brake lines to the correct position then i still wouldbt be able to screw in the existing fittings i left on the brake lines they are too small?

currently i am runing the 1995 integra RS BRAKE BOOSTER and 15/16 M/C ant the brake lines fit perfectly with no problem. the only reason i wanted to upgrade is because even now my pedal keeps going to the floor even after i replaced a new 15/16 M/C. im thinking my BOOSTER is bad. there are no leaks my fluid level stays teh same. ill probably just change out the booster again but this time get a new one not one from a junk yard.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh ****..

so you do NEED to reflare the brake lines, but they already have a double flare... Why wont they fit after being bent into the master cyclinder??

Quick Reply: how to reflare brake lines?