Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much PSI on tires do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much PSI on tires do you have?

I've been running the Honda recommended PSI for my EG which is 32 PSI (according to my door sticker) but I see that alot of people here are using more PSI than that. Should I just go ahead and fill the tires to the max PSI on the walls of the tires? Mine is 44 PSI cold. I really don't care about ride quality due to extra air in the tires. I'm in it for the gas mileage. Think I'll see an improvement? I'm running the stock 13" steelies with 185/70/R13 tires.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (sageuvagony)

if you are doing it for the gas mileage I would do 40 , 44 might be excessive.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (Crx Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crx Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are doing it for the gas mileage I would do 40 , 44 might be excessive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

mhmmm those would be some rock solid 13's

i guess it depends what your doing with your car, for gas mileage i guess the more pressure the "better" it should be. when i had my steelies i had 32 or sometimes less - (when im concerned with wheel hop not mpg)

for everday though like Jimmy said 40 max so some where between 32-40 psi should be fine
Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running my 44 psi tires at 52-ish since last summer. That's about 30K miles.
Handles great.
I was able to remove the power steering belt as the steering was lighter once I took it past 50 psi. I'm not recommending you disable YOUR power steering, nor necessarily that you go to the pressure that I'm using. But the world doesn't end after 44 psi.

Higher pressure definitely helps mpg. How far you want to go is up to you.

Here's a good article on why higher tire pressure is actually safer than ... well... read the article.
http://www.officer.com/article...27281

Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM

The max on my Nittos is 50psi, when my shop put them on they were at 56 rear and 46 front, they're now at 46 all the way around.

I also have 205/40/17s, a far cry from 13in steelies lol.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice link there I guess I'll put 40 PSI on mine. I'm still thinking about 44 but ehh.. I'll try 40 for now. Thanks all!

Edit : Just checked my tire pressure and they are at 28 PSI... gad dang. I haven't check the pressure in a long time. And it turns out my electric air pump doesn't work anymore I just tried it and it's dead. Ohh well I have a gas station about 30 seconds away from my house.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Should I just go ahead and fill the tires to the max PSI on the walls of the tires? Mine is 44 PSI cold. I really don't care about ride quality due to extra air in the tires. I'm in it for the gas mileage...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I run my Pirellis @ 50 psi - sidewalls say 44 psi max...

Tires won't pop over the rim until 200+ psi, so that isn't a problem, however...

Overinflated tires WILL make your ride *feel* brittle (I like it) and makes them wear funny (whatever)!

Gas costs more than tires (per mile) these days, so I think it's a good trade-off...
Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I run my Pirellis @ 50 psi - sidewalls say 44 psi max...

Tires won't pop over the rim until 200+ psi, so that isn't a problem, however...

Overinflated tires WILL make your ride *feel* brittle (I like it) and makes them wear funny (whatever)!

Gas costs more than tires (per mile) these days, so I think it's a good trade-off...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yea! My point exactly. My tires are brand new anyway. I got them a month ago. I guess 44 PSI for SURE I'll fill up tomorow. Steering will be easier I'm assuming as well?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Steering will be easier I'm assuming as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Makes your ride handle like a go-kart - just as skitterish too!

A lot more road noise will be heard in the cabin...

Chuck holes will rattle your teeth!

You'll be able to hear every loose bushing in your suspension rattling, blah, blah, blah.

If stuff like this doesn't bother you - go for it!

Makes a huge difference for pulse n' glide driving and engine-on-coasting though...

And, that's where you'll see the biggest increase in mileage - not just overinflating your tires!

It's a whole different mindset, you know? It's part of system of gas-saving measures... not an end-all by itself!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 AM

Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

i use to work at discount tire, and we always did 32 psi (on most cars) the psi is more for your suspension rather than the wheels. they work together (the psi in the tires and your suspension) in order to give you a smooth ride. so by increasing your number drastically you can really ruin your suspension. i havn't really heard much about this mpg thing, i mean i believe it but i wouldn't risk ruining your suspension. also as far as putting 52 psi in your tires you are really risking the life of your tread, and the even wear.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (mojackson2390)

Actually I still have deeper tread grooves in the center than at the edges, after 30K miles of driving.

I didn't notice a harder ride up to about 45 psi. Above that, I definitely do. As with all these type things, ymmv.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-23-2008, 05:23 AM
I tell doctors what to do

Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (Underoath18)

I wouldn't want to wear the tread in my tires all [freak]ed up just to get one more mpg.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:46 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (ILcrxsi1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ILcrxsi1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't want to wear the tread in my tires all [freak]ed up just to get one more mpg. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just buy better tires...

I've been running Pirelli P3000 tires for the last couple of years, and these things rock!!!

It was the OEM Firestones and Yokohama replacements that caused me grief with uneven wear patterns!

My Pirelli P3000 skins are wearing just fine, thank you!

I'll probably upgrade to Pirelli P6 FourSeasons next time, but these $@#! P3000s just won't wear out - even @ 50 psi...

They offer the "Extra Low Rolling Resistance (ELRR) System: Flexibility, Smoothness & Fuel Savings."

Here's the mileage I get with my B16A2 swap...

(click on the icon to see my 'fuel log')
Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been told that you go 4psi below the maximum psi limit for the tire to maximize tread life and gas mileage.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:14 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (SoCal EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been told that you go 4psi below the maximum psi limit for the tire to maximize tread life and gas mileage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's YOUR "4psi below the maximum psi limit" gas mileage?!?!?!?

Anywhere near 64% above EPA???
Old 08-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

im at 35psi all around
Old 08-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I usually go 36-38 all the way around on my 205/40R16s... I hate when you get an oil change and they "check" your air pressure and you get it back and they are all like 28 psi ... Drives me nuts, car drives like crap, feels weird, and gets terrible gas mileage...
Old 08-24-2008, 12:30 AM

Default Re: (tazeat)

do your own oil change then
Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tazeat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sic_DA_Nine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im at 35psi all around</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im at 40
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm in it for the gas mileage. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

If that's what you're concerned about, the biggest thing that will increase your mileage is having a light foot, shifting by 3k rpm and basically accelarating slowly. Try doing it for a tank and stay dilligent about it and you will see improvements.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How much PSI on tires do you have? (yoej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's the mileage I get with my B16A2 swap...

(click on the icon to see my 'fuel log')
</TD></TR></TABLE>

40mpg is really crazy for a B16. I don't even come near that with my Y8...

@ OP:
As others have said, a lot of gas mileage has to do with your right foot.

I keep my tires at 35/36, then put 'em to about 40 or so for the long highway trip to or from college if I remember....which I usually don't.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run 39psi but my tires are filled with Nitrogen,Im getting a pretty consistent 30mpg in city and 35-36 on the freeway with my ls/b16 trans swap in my cx
Old 08-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (66fasty)

You should have your tires at max sidewall or higher. You will get better mileage, better handling, and the tires will wear more even and longer.

Heck my tank avg was 50.4 mpg, that was over 600 in my civic with 12.4 gallons

the higher tire pressure will do nothing but help your suspension acutally function instead of using all tires, the lower the pressure in your tires means more frictional losses and then wears out the tires faster .

Also the crap how tire installers say the more pressure means it will make the center wear is BS! Thats an old tale that when tires didn't have steel belts in the tires would balloon in the center...not possible with today's tires.

Also when accelerating you want to keep your car in its optimum bsfc=brake specific fuel consumption which for civics with 1.6 is about 75% load and 2-2200rpm so accel briskly to about there is what has given me the best results,

considering this is only about my thrid tank hypermiling it gets better everytime, last tank was 555, so i def am doing better.

you want to try and keep your avg speed down too thats one thing that really helps mileage, lower avg speed =less gas used plain and simple

Quick Reply: How much PSI on tires do you have?