Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch?

Amount of paint needed for a 97 hatchback? Good place to get it online? Is Honda paint PPG? Does PPG make clear coat? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch? (Ehron)

Up. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:17 AM
New User

I know DuPont Chroma System can match the stock paint color and they have clear and pearl coats. Two quarts of base and one gallon of clear should do you. Expect to pay $350 to $450 depending on the color.

Mike
Old 01-22-2003, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch? (92sleepR)

Thanks for the reply. I got answers ranging from 2 to 5 quarts base, and no suggestions on clear. I appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:18 AM
New User

The two quarts I was refering to are for the paint itself. It needs to be thinned 1/1 before spraying which yeilds a gallon of paint. Thats more than enough to do an entire car (assuming no significant problems of course

Mike
Old 01-27-2003, 11:27 PM

if you are goin back with the same color, you can cover the car with one quart of base coat, but a dif. color you will need about 2qt. as far as the clear goes... you might as well get a gallon.

dupont, sherwin williams,and ppg all can match your color and hook you up with the clear. make sure you get an over-all clear, spot and panel drys to fast. also, make sure you get the proper base maker for the bc and reducerand hardner for the clear.
you can expect to pay anywhere from $150 - $450 for the materials.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:15 AM

Default Re: How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch? (dirty kurmitt)

it all depends on the paint systems and brand because they all have different mixing ratios. a rule of thumb to follow is that a car usually needs about 1 gallon of mixed color(color mixed with hardener and reducer if any) and 1 galon of mixed clear(clear mixed with hardener and reducer if any).
Old 01-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch? (tnbigdawg)

Anyone know if i will need to add any reducer to this paint?

http://www.aervoe.com/aervoe/shoppin...etail.asp?ID=6

I have two gallons already and Im not sure if i can just spray it out of the can or if I need to prepare it somehow.

There are a few links at the bottom of the page for info on the paint but after reading through the material Im still not sure of prep...

Any help?
thanks
brian
Old 01-28-2003, 07:01 PM

Default Re: How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch? (thinkbrianthink v.1)

yes that paint system needs a "thinner" not a "reducer" if you are using it in a spray application.

use one of AERVOE Thinners:

<U>Product Number</U>

or 909 Thinners.

the different numbers should represent the drying rates so you gotta contact your supplier to figure out which one is the best for your application and temperature in your painting environment.

This I believe is a a laquer based paint system. IMO, I wouldnt recommend it if you plan on painting your car with a urethane system sometime in the future.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:04 PM

I'm a painter and you will need about 4 quarts and recommending u use Dupont Urethane paint and clear. it will depend on what color but about 600 for paint, clear, reducer, and activator
Old 02-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help.

ill read up more on this.

im starting to think about just having a friends shop repaint the car black.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the help.

ill read up more on this.

im starting to think about just having a friends shop repaint the car black.
Well if it's already black, then i'd say 2 quarts since you dont have to cover up anything. I just sprayed my 93 hatch with 3 quarts and it covered the doorjams, engine bay and hatch area. Paint run anywhere from $40-$60 a quart depending if you have a hook up or not. Before i use RM silverstone met. paint and it was $53.50 a quart. Now i just resprayed it with House of Kolor paint and it was $42.00 a quart.

edit: this was shop prices also

[Modified by GAMEOVER 1.8, 9:26 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 03:11 PM

Default Re: How much paint needed to for a 97 hatch? (GAMEOVER 1.8)

Well if it's already black, then i'd say 2 quarts since you dont have to cover up anything. I just sprayed my 93 hatch with 3 quarts and it covered the doorjams, engine bay and hatch area. Paint run anywhere from $40-$60 a quart depending if you have a hook up or not. Before i use RM silverstone met. paint and it was $53.50 a quart. Now i just resprayed it with House of Kolor paint and it was $42.00 a quart.

edit: this was shop prices also

[Modified by GAMEOVER 1.8, 9:26 PM 2/1/2003]
I agree with this also
Old 02-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so, what your saying is that im looking at less than 1 gallon to cover the whole car?

The respraying black is kind of up in the air. Im not sure if I want to go through the trouble of trying to find a compressor, much less a space to use as a spray booth. What Ill possibly do is just take the paint that I already bought up to a friends shop and just have them spray everything for me. I have a few dents that need to be taken out too. If i just had him do it then I could have everything taken care of all at one time.

btw. if i use the paint already purchased the car would not be black anymore. in this case how much paint would you estimate I would need?

[Modified by thinkbrianthink v.1, 6:21 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 07:50 PM

color change would need about 1 gallon of sprayable(mixed and reduced) base color, 1 gallon of sprayable(mixed and reduced) clear.

that should cover up a compact car pretty well, including the doorjambs, under hood and trunklid.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool. sounds good. no clear needed though.

one last question. Would it be best to go with the same brand thinner/reducer as the paint that i will be using? Or could the paint guy just use what is available in the shop?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:25 PM

one last question. Would it be best to go with the same brand thinner/reducer as the paint that i will be using? Or could the paint guy just use what is available in the shop?
It should be a must to stick with the same brand. Pick up a product sheet for your brand of paint and it will tell you what you need.

Mixing brands could cause problems because it might have a different chemical reaction.

How come you're not using clear? these paint should at least be cleared with something for protection against uv-rays, stains, etc...
Old 02-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So my car is a 97 black which I think is granada black. I want to repaint it flamenco black pearl. Will the difference be obvious on the door jams, and in the engine bay?

Also, how much more will the pearl cost, or is that part of the paint? Thanks guys.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:55 AM

So my car is a 97 black which I think is granada black. I want to repaint it flamenco black pearl. Will the difference be obvious on the door jams, and in the engine bay?

Also, how much more will the pearl cost, or is that part of the paint? Thanks guys.
well, since you're sticking with about the same color, I don't think it will be too noticable yet it can be just a little. Because the panels that will be painted won't be adjacent to each other, I wouldnt worry about it because none can tell unless they are really inspecting the paint. The pearls in Honda finishes are the results of the complete color mix, meaning that it is in the paint itself and is not added like custom finishes(which is mixed in with clear coat).

[Modified by tnbigdawg, 9:56 AM 2/13/2003]
Old 02-14-2003, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Once again TN thanks for the info. I have an opportunity to get my car painted for cost of materials + $100 at a local technical school. Do you think that is a dangerous scenario? I could get PPG paint, and I was told the teacher does most of the work on outsider's cars. Would you do it knowing what you do about autobody?
Old 02-14-2003, 08:58 AM

Once again TN thanks for the info. I have an opportunity to get my car painted for cost of materials + $100 at a local technical school. Do you think that is a dangerous scenario? I could get PPG paint, and I was told the teacher does most of the work on outsider's cars. Would you do it knowing what you do about autobody?
Well, I'm almost in the same situation as you are. I took the class(about three courses) and am attempting to paint my car myself as well. I say it all depends on your spray-time that you have experienced.

My experience includes: one complete paint job on a car. I painted two fenders. I also painted Two bumpers and sideskirts. All this was done at different times. IMO that still isn't enough experience, but I feel that I understand the spray techniques pretty well so I'm going for it. If I mess up, It's gonna cost me a fortune(about $1,500) spent on House Of Kolors custom paints. I am however, goin to practice a little bit on a spare fender days before I paint my car to ensure that I am used to it and am able to spray these custom paints.

In short my friend, It all comes down to how much painting you have done. Since you are doing this at school, you have the guidence of a pro(your instructor). If you're lucky he/she might even paint it for you, but chances are slim. Do as much painting as you can in that class. Don't be affraid to ask for more spray time early in the course. There is a reason for this, but it would be too long to write.

So goodluck.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man. I didn't mean I was going to paint it though. I just meant there is a autobody program at a local technical school. I met one of the students and he pitched the idea of painting it there. I have zero knowledge of autobody. That is why I asked so many questions.