Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How much improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much improvement?

I just bought a cheap header off of ebay. .
Its for my for stock EJ6 engine. I am only messing around with this engine for fun until i get my b16. I was wondering will i notice a big power gain with that header along with a 2.25 piping along with this exhaust ?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM

do a before and after dyno and let us know

any is better then stock.. people hate on cheap headers cuz the break easy
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick answer: no.
mostly a sound difference. you can rev on other ricers now ^.^
Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alacard)

so now power difference what so ever? I mean there has to be its gonna be 2.25 piping all the way.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (alacard)

You'll notice a bit of a difference in the butt power, mostly in lower end tq. You won't exactly be running 9's tho.

EDIT:
And what gezzuzz said.

The welds tend to crack in colder weather on cheap manifolds/headers.

Though I wouldn't worry about it until it actually happens - As an ebay **** upgade for a stock D series motor, it's 100% fine. I would rather say invest in that than invest in a DC Sports or some higher end name brand for an extra 1whp gain on the stock D motor and 150 dollars more.

Also, it looks like it comes with a cat, if you replace that cat you just MIGHT get more power on the sole basis that crap or not, there's not as much carbon in it.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (enzozenuni)

one of my friends did this and he matches up against integras. He beats em up until 80mph then they pass him.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: How much improvement? (enzozenuni)

The biggest thing you'll notice is a CEL if you don't run a cat, or an o2 sim/eliminator... Other than that, you car won't struggle as hard going up hills... If you go easy enough on the throttle, you might see an improvement in gas mileage...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 PM

dude thats SOO pimp its JDM.

and i dont you will even noise anything except the noise.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll notice a bit of a difference in the butt power, mostly in lower end tq. You won't exactly be running 9's tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But it will push more then the stock? I am just messing around with all this stuff for fun and also a learning experience. Summer time I plan on dropping a type-r b16b.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i replaced the header on an accent once. decent move in lowend torque. but no big difference. it mainly depends on how hard you drive your car. if you'd rather be in 3rd gear doing 50mph, your not gonna see a difference when you mash the pedal, but if you were in 5th doing 45, maybe... just maybe...
also good luck with the install, hope it works for ya. knockoff products seem to give me problems usually with the install.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude thats SOO pimp its JDM.

and i dont you will even noise anything except the noise.</TD></TR></TABLE>
WTF? Are you having trouble interpreting?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enzozenuni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
WTF? Are you having trouble interpreting? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some people feel it makes no difference what-so-ever.

I happen to think they're wrong. A lot of people state that it's all in your head. I don't think that's true, but this debate wasn't solved in god knows how long and it won't be solved in this thread. There's dynos that prove both ways.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What if i change the throttle body as well to a 66 or bigger. would that help more?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enzozenuni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What if i change the throttle body as well to a 66 or bigger. would that help more?</TD></TR></TABLE>

on a D-series... .... nope...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 PM

NA D series is difficult with just bolt ons. Alot better results come from a good set of PM7's to bump up compression.

Before you spend that $4000 on the b16b; may I suggest you look through the many pages of the sohc boosted thread in the FI section.

Put together a good turbod setup for alot less money and get alot more horsepower!!!!

Come to think about it, if your "BALLIN'" like that then why don't you spend $2500(if that) to put together a turbo d with tuner toys or eagles, etc and some vitara pistons. Proven reliable to over 400 hp(tuned of course).

Or, spend the 4g's on "TYPE-R"
!!!!!!"BALLIN'"!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (agoldenau)

I'm a BIG FAN of N/A Cars and I love the type-r engine. I don't like turbo too much. I prefer to drive N/A any day over turbo. I just love the sound of a high revving engine.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enzozenuni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a BIG FAN of N/A Cars and I love the type-r engine. I don't like turbo too much. I prefer to drive N/A any day over turbo. I just love the sound of a high revving engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it spoon or mugen that has built a 10K+ reving K series? sweet motor...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
SlowCivic29

Not an expert or anything but isnt the 2nd o2 sensor supposed to be POST CAT, not upstream of it? i mean, its supposed to let you know if ur cats working or not right?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (SlowCivic29)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowCivic29 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not an expert or anything but isnt the 2nd o2 sensor supposed to be POST CAT, not upstream of it? i mean, its supposed to let you know if ur cats working or not right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the header is going on a sohc non v-tec... this header will replace the cat/manifold... Most people I've seen throwing bolt-ons their Y7 usually get a Y8 cat and catback and call it a day...

If he runs both o2 sensors on that header, he'll throw a CEL... Only way to get around it is to install a cat, or run an o2 sim/eliminator... i.e. spark plug anti-foulers, obd-1 swap, etc.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: (Dagul)

youll notice its louder.. and no real gains!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you bought a b series header for a d series?

wtg.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (strictly.business)

no its for a d series
Old 01-09-2007, 08:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enzozenuni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a BIG FAN of N/A Cars and I love the type-r engine. I don't like turbo too much. I prefer to drive N/A any day over turbo. I just love the sound of a high revving engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

N/A engines are good stuff. Don't want you to think i'm downing the engines at all. Was just playin around alittle bit. If the Type-R is what you want, then the type-R is what you should get.

Was just suggesting the 11 second, 400 hp, turbo d route.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (agoldenau)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agoldenau &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

N/A engines are good stuff. Don't want you to think i'm downing the engines at all. Was just playin around alittle bit. If the Type-R is what you want, then the type-R is what you should get.

Was just suggesting the 11 second, 400 hp, turbo d route. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahaha, FI FTW.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enzozenuni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What if i change the throttle body as well to a 66 or bigger. would that help more?</TD></TR></TABLE>

your thinking 2d and not 3d!

if you do not tune for these changes do not waste your time no matter what motor you have in the car your not going to get the max out of anything you do to any engine unless you tune for it

and if your going to swap a dohc why waste the money on other things that ebay money could have been saved towards what ever engine you wanted

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quick answer: no.
mostly a sound difference. you can rev on other ricers now ^.^</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if thats the goal might as well go open header and really get the other ricers turned on lol

Quick Reply: How much improvement?