Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how much have u spent????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much have u spent????

okay so i did my gsr swap in my 97 ek hatch. yes its lots of fun but i want more. im planning on buying new pistons, cams, etc... for as of right now all motor. my pricelist of roughly around $3000 in parts. and i plan on reaching between 225-250 hp. my questiion to you i about how much is it gonna cost me to get my parts put in???? (timing belt, valves, retainers, all top end gaskets,throttle body, iintake manifold, pistons, cams,cam gears)
Old 12-28-2009, 05:41 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much have u spent????

do you mean to have a shop completely go through your engine?

Did you swap it yourself? If so, then why would you have a shop do it? Just curious.

So you're talking about doing almost a complete rebuild. If so, first off, I'd recommend pulling your engine ahead of time and taking it to them. It'll save you money in the long run because everything will be MUCH easier to get to, and they won't have to pull it themselves.

With the engine out, I'd say maybe 16 hours not counting tuning... at $50/hr that would be $800. With the engine in, add another 12 hours to either pull it/put it back in, or to work around all the crap that comes with doing it in the car.

Then, you MUST TUNE with those kinds of mods. Which means you'll be paying for dyno time, plus the services of a reputable tuner who knows what he's doing. I've never done that, so I have no idea what it would cost, but I GUARANTEE your car will run like crap with cams, valves, and pistons and no tune.

I'd budget a total of at least $1500 for labor and tuning. If you do it yourself, you can save on everything but the tuning (unless you do that too... but I wouldn't recommend it without a dyno).
Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
do you mean to have a shop completely go through your engine?

Did you swap it yourself? If so, then why would you have a shop do it? Just curious.

So you're talking about doing almost a complete rebuild. If so, first off, I'd recommend pulling your engine ahead of time and taking it to them. It'll save you money in the long run because everything will be MUCH easier to get to, and they won't have to pull it themselves.

With the engine out, I'd say maybe 16 hours not counting tuning... at $50/hr that would be $800. With the engine in, add another 12 hours to either pull it/put it back in, or to work around all the crap that comes with doing it in the car.

Then, you MUST TUNE with those kinds of mods. Which means you'll be paying for dyno time, plus the services of a reputable tuner who knows what he's doing. I've never done that, so I have no idea what it would cost, but I GUARANTEE your car will run like crap with cams, valves, and pistons and no tune.

I'd budget a total of at least $1500 for labor and tuning. If you do it yourself, you can save on everything but the tuning (unless you do that too... but I wouldn't recommend it without a dyno).
nah i did not do the swap myself. i had a backyard mechanic do the swap for me. its jus that w/ the money that im putting into the motor i didnt want to take it back to him w/ that much money on the line. i would rather have it done correctly and possibly w/ a warranty. also i kno i have to get it tuned that was another question of mines too. how much would that be????
Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you'll never get someone to warranty a highly modified engine. And 225HP from a non-turbo GSR would be considered highly modified from the standpoint of most shops.

It's just too much of a liability for them based on the way the majority of people drive their highly modified engines. A *good* shop would stand behind their work to the point of owning up to problems obviously caused by their work, but most won't even give you that on an engine like that.

Personally, when I got started with Hondas, I had an idea that I was going to buy parts and have shops install them for me. Until I realized that I couldn't find a SINGLE SHOP in my area that was willing to install a set of damned brake pads that I carried in. It's very hard to get shops willing to do carry-in work for a lot of reasons.

Likely your best bet would be to find a reputable tune shop in your area who is willing to work with you on your build to make sure that you get what you want. And shops like that typically charge a premium. Or, you can buy all the parts and everything from a tune shop... expect them to charge you significantly more than your bottom-basement internet parts prices.

Good luck man, I really hate to bring people down.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM
New User

that sounds like alot of money
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're going to have issues reaching 250 all motor on a GSR. You'll require a larger bore, longer stroke, more compression, hotter cams, head work...and maybe reach around 210, I doubt you'll hit 220.

Forced induction is the only way you're going to be making 250 or more.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah thanks alot, ur not bringing me down. this is the info that i wanted 2 kno. that was jus a thought in mind of wat i wanted 2 do but imma do wat i have 2 just 2 get it right
Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
You're going to have issues reaching 250 all motor on a GSR. You'll require a larger bore, longer stroke, more compression, hotter cams, head work...and maybe reach around 210, I doubt you'll hit 220.

Forced induction is the only way you're going to be making 250 or more.
i dont plan on staying all motor jus a project 4 now. i plan on going turbo but not jus yet. and 225-250 is jus a goal im trying 2 reach as well. if i cant, hey but as long as my **** is faster than average i dont mind. good lookin tho
Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you build your engine for all motor, you'll have to rebuild it again for turbo, because the compression will need to be completely different (especially when you're shooting for #'s that high N/A). For your budget, and considering you JUST put the engine in the car...you may want to consider going turbo on the stock engine. Throw some ARP headstuds in there, and a basic turbo kit and as long as the engine is healthy, you can run 275-300 WHP consistently on a stock block GSR. Then if you want more in the future, you can upgrade your block and up the boost.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bakertime
If you build your engine for all motor, you'll have to rebuild it again for turbo, because the compression will need to be completely different (especially when you're shooting for #'s that high N/A). For your budget, and considering you JUST put the engine in the car...you may want to consider going turbo on the stock engine. Throw some ARP headstuds in there, and a basic turbo kit and as long as the engine is healthy, you can run 275-300 WHP consistently on a stock block GSR. Then if you want more in the future, you can upgrade your block and up the boost.
see thanks alot cuz this is all stuff i didnt kno. i jus kno that i got a cppl dolars stacked up and i want to spend it all on parts. i didnt want to do the wrong thing so i asked questions. thanks 4 the help
Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM

if spent around 4000. in there ive bought a supercharger and headers but they havent even been installed yet. i gotta rebuild the motor still. im estimating around 12,000 for everything like body work and motor. everything just piles up