Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how many of you changed your clutch ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many of you changed your clutch ??

long story short my clutch is on it's way out. iunderstand how to replace it but i've never done it before post up any tips you might have or personal experiences

my engine is just a d-series "hx" or "y5" so i'll be replacing the trans to an ex as well.

1st ? is will i need to pull the motor? i don't think so

2nd is how long will it take? should i plan a weekend or just a day? i'll have access to tools so i'm not to worried there

any help is appreciated
Old 05-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you changed your clutch ?? (shepworldwide)

no, you don't need to pull the motor.....it would be great if you had access to a lift, but it can be done in your drive way on jackstands. If you know what you're doing at all it should take longer then a day......I think I did my clutch in about 3 hours, that included running to honda for a new main seal and stuff.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: how many of you changed your clutch ?? (shiftgear8000)

From FAQ thread at the top:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=811691

And a more thorough one done on a B18C: http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...h.php

That explains taking off the trans, and then to replace the clutch you just loosen the bolts around the pressure plate...make sure to use an alignment tool when you put the new one on.

Good luck, i'd recommend getting a helms though
Old 05-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you changed your clutch ?? (BauleyCivic)

U dont have to pull the motor ! it is quite easy if u have all the tools and jack ! took me a good 3-4 hrs
Old 05-04-2005, 09:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From FAQ thread at the top:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

Good luck, i'd recommend getting a helms though </TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess i know what the problem is now thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM

i've pulled 4 trannys off on my back and without air tools. first time, plan on saturday and sunday. second time just saturday. 3rd and 4th time about 6 hours from first turn of the wrench to starting the car up

as suggested, get a helms manual and ALL required tools before hand. this is kind of a big job so it helps to keep your tools organized. set them where they belong when you're done, so you don't waste time looking for everything. pay attention to each bolt you remove and make sure you put it somewhere so you'll know where it came from. zip lock bags and masking tape are a good idea if you feel like taking the time - it's worth it, you don't want any bolts left over when you're done
&lt;---

you'll need an 8mm non tapered pin punch for the bitch pin. also a 6-8" prybar for popping the axles out. make sure you push them in all the way. you might need a 5' cheater pipe to slide on your breaker bar if your axle nut hasn't been loosened for awhile, sometimes they can be pretty damn tight. break this loose with the wheels on the ground and with the centercap removed.

to pop the ball joints: jack up the lca and slide the handle of a 1/2" ratchet between the knuckle and the lca (right behind the ball joint). lower the jack, and the joint will pop nicely. if you can't figure that out, just whack the side of the lca next to the ball joint hard with a big ******* hammer. DO NOT USE A PICKLE FORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

follow the manual step by step and you should be good to go, except you don't have to remove the header and you shouldn't have to touch the fuel line. there might be a few other somewhat unnecessary steps in there, i can't remember. it would be helpful to get that stuff out of the way, but it's more trouble than it's worth. i would never touch the exaust system unless it was 100% necessary .. rusty *** bolts. make sure you torque the mounts to spec in the proper sequence.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: how many of you changed your clutch ?? (shepworldwide)

Youre gonna need a friend to help put the tranny back up onto the engine. You'll also need a breaker bar.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: how many of you changed your clutch ?? (Alchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Youre gonna need a friend to help put the tranny back up onto the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've been able to do it alone. having a friend (2 friends actually) did help a lot, but having a lot of patience and a few blocks of wood is all you need to get it on there. i'm not saying it's easy though... i swore a lot but when i finally got it to slide on there holy crap was i happy!

a tranny jack would have been wonderful in that situation.