Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to install a pulley properly into an EG

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install a pulley properly into an EG

Does anybody have a diagram of how to install a pulley into an EG? I recently bought a new pulley and am replacing the old one, but am uncertain if I'll be doing it right. I don't want to mess up the engine, so... any diagrams/pictures on installing a new pulley?

The crankshaft pulley somehow flew off of my car when i was driving on the highway. I just need to install another crankshaft pulley in to replace the one that flew off. The old pulley isn't there anymore, therefore I don't know how to put the new one in the correct way.

Last edited by yeng_vaj85; 10-16-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Re: How to install a pulley properly into an EG

We can only assume you're talking about a crankshaft pulley.

It's basically just "put it on the same way it came off" for that one. Just one bolt that is tighter than anything else in the world, and using a tool to keep the crankshaft from rotating while you remove it and re-torque it.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, just make sure its in TDC when you pull out your old one and if you even get it to budge a little bit.. be happy, its one HELL of a bolt.. took all my 220 pounds to jump on the breaker bar [not literally] to break it..

and when you put it back on, make sure the 3 dots and 1 dot [that 1 dot] is pointing towards the upper timing belt cover arrow
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...why would it matter if the engine is at TDC if you're JUST removing the pulley? The cams will turn with the crank.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
...why would it matter if the engine is at TDC if you're JUST removing the pulley? The cams will turn with the crank.
x2

Like someone said above, Just look at how your going to take it out. Then do the reverse. Its that simple.
-Im assuming the motor is on your car so you will need to remove your tires, jack up the car
-Get a long extension, a breaker bar and a crank pulley holder. (I think they loan it at autozone)
-Have a friend help you.
-Loosen the alternator bolt so you can loosen the alternator belt. If you have other belts connecting to the pulley, make sure you know which bolts you loosened in order to remove the belts such as a/c, power steering.
-loosen the crank pulley bolt with all your might. Remove the crank pulley and install the new one.
-repeat the steps in reverse.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup thats true, my bad.. just do what he [^] said, lol
Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 AM

The pulley is keyed so you cant mess it up. Good luck getting that damn thing off though lol. If the motor is out take it to a tire shop and have them impact it off, if its in the car grab a HD breaker bar with a 5' pipe haha.. Its not really that bad but its a biatch.