Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Call me crazy...paddle shifters on '92 Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call me crazy...paddle shifters on '92 Civic?

I've been pondering for a while now about an option to help those like me who absolutely cannot learn a 5-speed to save their sorry lives. I know a minimal amount about car electronics, but for working it out on a Civic that's nearing 20 years old, I'm coming up blank.

The issue: shifting. In its entirety. I've tried learning from my brother, his fiancee, my dad, and after over a year, 2 different cars, and a sh!tload of headaches, it's obvious that this ain't working. I'm tired of burning clutches & yelling at myself, so manual trannies are out of the question and I'm done with my '92 automagic Civic.

What I've been considering: I'm a huge F1 fan, and I absolutely love the idea of paddle shifters directly on the steering wheel.

Since you can obviously see where I'm going with this...has anyone attempted or heard of anyone attempting to get a paddle shift system working on their Civvy? The fact that Honda has adopted the Steptronic system tells me it's a potential option, and the fact that some other manufacturers have engineered similar paddle systems (i.e. Ferrari, MB, etc) is also a plus. Just looking for input at this point--most people I've asked have given me the "WTF" look...
Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Call me crazy...paddle shifters on '92 Civic?

Possible -yes. Anything is possible with enough money and resources. I don't suggest you even bother if you don't know enough. You would need an automatic to use a steptronic/triptronic setup. I don't think I've ever seen that done and I've seen a lot.

You need to learn how to drive stick, it is not very hard at all. What exactly are you struggling with? It is so much fun to drive with it and Im sure we can help you improve.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fifth generation preludes were available with an automatic transmission that had a manual mode. You'd probably have to do a full H22 swap in order to use it. With some wiring and fabrication that would probably be the easiest, most cost effective way to get it done. If you're not doing it yourself, it would probably cost a lot. But as previously mentioned, anything is possible with enough money and resources.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like alot of work but you have a dream. dont give up and go for it. theres nothing like being original. good luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you need to learn how to drive stick-the right way. I taught my bonehead sister to drive stick in 15 minutes and she's never burned out a clutch.

Have you ever driven a car equipped with paddle shifters? I'm just saying. If you can't drive a simple stick-shift then paddle shifters might be too much for you as well.

As for retro-fitting an 11-19 year old car? Sounds like a completely stupid idea where the question of cost-effectiveness is concerned.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

I've seen the paddle shifters on Mitsubishi's and they look more complicated than the typical manual pedal/shifter deal. That's way too much work and costly too.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a setup, if your willint to retro it to a d series, or grab a b series/k/j/f/h and mod it, then there is a setup. i found your thread whilst looking for anyone who has installed it.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My old man had a cts V with paddle shifters....

He got rid of it and got the 6 speed....said he couldnt work the paddle shifters...it was more work then just having the standard trans.

Paddle shifters isnt just like a triptronic....however a cts v is pushing 550 hp...so you can really push out the gears. Then again, you shift up with one side, and down with the other side.... A 150hp civic really doesnt have anything to push out though...

For the time/effort/amount of money you'd lose...it'd be cheaper to pay a driving school to teach you how to drive standard....
Old 12-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

think I'm just gonna call you crazy on this one
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am calling you crazy.

Driving stick is not hard, sounds like you have bad teachers.

I tought my buddy's little sister, that happens to literaly be dumber then a shoe, how to drive stick in about a hour. It's been about 6 months, she's not great, but she gets around fine.

Practice makes perfect.

What are you haveing an issue with? Starting, shifting?

With the amount of money your going to dump into this project you could buy a much newer, and better car.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

just practice driving a stick. try googling some stuff about it since you seem to have terrible teachers. i'm sure honda-tech can also help you in learning to drive a stick.

as stated, anything is possible with money and resources. but it won't be worth it for you.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the cost of this paddle-shifter project would cost you about ~10 clutches BNIB.

ALSO installing a clutch will probably be easier than installing paddle-shifters on a civic.

learning stick cant be that hard at all! do your research, watch youtube videos, and be more confident. you CANNOT learn to drive with that attitude.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, man the *** up and grow a pair.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
OP, man the *** up and grow a pair.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

But for reals, forget about your whole "idea project" and either learn to shift and enjoy or get an automatic, easy as that.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lxdriver
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

But for reals, forget about your whole "idea project" and either learn to shift and enjoy or get an automatic, easy as that.
YEAP ...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad's Honda Fit has paddle shifters...if you were gonna dump all that money and time into a 92 you might as well buy a newer honda that already has them.

Although its kinda a cool idea if it worked, i personally dont like them and driving a manual trans is insanely fun if you can get it down.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GarrettChames
My dad's Honda Fit has paddle shifters...if you were gonna dump all that money and time into a 92 you might as well buy a newer honda that already has them.

Although its kinda a cool idea if it worked, i personally dont like them and driving a manual trans is insanely fun if you can get it down.
Agreed, im looking at building a setup for a d series as a play project. much like the HKS setup in the FR setups and applying it to a cable setup.