Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to heel-toe on a civic cx

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to heel-toe on a civic cx

anybody got any tips on how to heel-toe on a civic cx? i can never twist my foot enough to touch the gas enough with my toe.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:12 PM

for what reason?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: (b18bEG)

So he can uh............power brake burnout.........oh wait.

Launching an automatic? Launching a manual and feathering the clutch?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

i wana downshift smoother

and also just to be able to do it for ***** and giggles.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (Rice Is Best)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rice Is Best &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody got any tips on how to heel-toe on a civic cx? i can never twist my foot enough to touch the gas enough with my toe. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Stop trying to touch the gas with your toe; try your heel instead. Cover the brake pedal with maybe 3/4 or 1/2 of the upper part of your foot, and swing the ankle around to blip the gas pedal. Works for me. If you're serious, just get pedals that will bring the brake and gas closer. I have a picture someone took of an aftermarket gas pedal cover rigged to fit over the brake pedal. Talk about closeness between pedals. And if you were super smart, you'd search around Google. There are plenty of sites that talk about the heel-and-toe concept and even have animated pictures.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (Daniel)

whoops i meant heel. hahahah
Old 02-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh. Then yeah, only thing I can suggest are pedal covers.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (Daniel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Heel and Toe Downshift
By Brent Romans

If you have heard of the term "heel-and-toe" downshift before, but you've never known what it means, you've come to the right place. It is the mission of this article to make you a heel-and-toe master, a proverbial Jackie Chan of downshifts. Hi-yah!

A heel-and-toe downshift refers to a specific technique used to downshift a manual transmission car. It might seem bizarre to the general populace, but racecar drivers use it all the time. Once mastered, the heel-and-toe downshift offers the benefits of reduced vehicle wear-and-tear, better driver control and faster lap times on a racetrack.

The heel-and-toe downshift is a rather complex action involving both of the driver's feet, the driver's right hand, all three vehicle pedals and the gear shift lever. The purpose of the heel-and-toe is to smoothly match engine speed to wheel speed. Here is a generalization of how a normal person downshifts a manual transmission car.

Let's say Frank is driving his '01 Volkswagen Passat around town. He is approaching a right-hand corner while in fourth gear at 50 mph. He is going too fast to make it around the corner safely, so he starts braking until he drops the Passat's speed to about 25 mph. Frank sees on the tachometer that his engine revs are dropping too low, so he pushes in the clutch as he goes around the corner. As Frank thinks about accelerating, he realizes that the Passat is still in fourth gear, which isn't suitable for strong acceleration at such slow speeds. So he moves the shifter from fourth to second gear, lets out the clutch and motors away.

The problem with Frank's technique is that when he lets out the clutch, it is not going to be a smooth shift. The Passat is going to buck a little. Why? Because when Frank goes around the corner with the clutch pushed in, the engine revs drop to idle speed. When he releases the clutch, the mechanical locking effect between the engine and the front wheels (the wheels powered by a Passat) forces the engine revs to match the rotational speed of the rear wheels. In this case, 25 mph in second gear would mean the engine has to be at roughly 2,600 rpm. When Frank lets out the clutch after moving the shifter to second gear, his car's engine must instantly go from idle to 2,600 rpm. This sudden change causes the car to buck, as well as causing undue wear-and-tear on the clutch, transmission and engine mounts.

The simple solution for Frank would be to give the car some throttle before he lets out the clutch. Specifically, he should raise the engine speed to 2,600 rpm. This way, the engine speed is equalized to the wheel speed for second gear, making the shift much smoother. For racecar drivers, however, this technique is too slow and also means that when the car is going around the corner, the clutch is pushed in, a serious no-no in a racecar.

The racer's answer is the heel-and-toe downshift. The technique combines braking and downshifting at the same time. Using our example again, if Frank used a heel-and-toe downshift, he would have downshifted while he was braking for the corner. This way, he would have had power while he was going around the corner and he could have quickly applied more throttle once he exited the corner. These are critical elements to a racecar driver, but they can also be useful to any driver on the street.

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to heel-and-toe downshift. It will explain how to shift from fourth gear to third gear, though the technique will work for any downshift.

Begin braking for the corner with your right foot. The location of the pedals and the size of your foot will dictate where you position your foot on the pedal, but most likely it should be canted a little to the right, closer to the throttle pedal.

Push in the clutch with your left foot.

This is the hard part. With your right foot still applying pressure to the brakes, roll the outside edge of your foot outward and downward to touch the throttle pedal. The pedal design on some cars makes this easier to do than on others. Use the outside of your right foot to blip the throttle. Blipping the throttle means temporarily raising the engine rpms to match the wheel speed. The exact amount of revs needed is dependent on a variety of factors, but it is usually between 1,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm more than the current engine rpm for a one-gear downshift.

Move the shifter to third gear.

Release the clutch with your left foot.
As you can see, "heel-and-toe" is a misnomer. It actually involves the ball of your foot and the side of your foot. We'll be the first to tell you that heel-and-toe downshifts aren't easy. We've found that a good way to practice is to just sit in your car in your garage and pretend you are doing a heel-and-toe downshift with the engine off. Keep repeating the steps until you are familiar with the process. Once you are ready, try it out for real. Most likely, your early attempts will be botched. Keep trying, though. Practice each step slowly and then work your way to making them all one, fluid motion. Skilled drivers can execute a heel-and-toe downshift in less than one second.

The trickiest part is getting the correct amount of rpms to match the new gear. If you blip the throttle too much, the engine has too much speed compared to the wheels and is forced to drop down to the wheel speed when you let out the clutch. If you don't blip the throttle enough, the engine rpms are forced to rise up. Either way, you know you didn't do it right as the car will jerk a little.

You'll also know it when you did it right. A proper heel-and-toe downshift is so smooth and so satisfying that, once done correctly, you'll find yourself using the technique all the time. The great thing is that you don't have to be a racecar driver or be on a racetrack to use it. Additionally, using the heel-and-toe downshift technique on the street can improve safety. In certain emergency situations, you might be required to brake heavily and then accelerate quickly. By heel-and-toe downshifting, your car will be in the best gear to achieve maximum acceleration.

So, let's recap. It's fun to do. It improves driving safety. It reduces the amount of powertrain wear on your car. Other than the amount of time it takes to learn, there is no downside. What more could you want?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.edmunds.com/ownersh....html
Old 02-16-2005, 04:44 PM

i guess ill have to wear sneakers for this. i usually wear tims when i drive.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought pedal covers and put the brake one on sideways so its closer to the gas pedal. Most performance cars have the pedals closer together, ours don't. I guess the engineers that built our cars weren't thinking about heel-toeing when they made um.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (TurboTagTeam)

You're not gonna be able to learn heel-toe by reading a damn article.

Go out there and **** up your engine mounts like the rest of us who spend that *bumpy* week learning it.

*rawr*
Old 02-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (The HamsterBall)

Sensei will give you ONE hint. Just ONE.

It's alot harder to use it on daily driving (lower-RPM matches) than it is on higher RPM (racing with HARD braking which lets your foot go down more, which lets your heel get closer to the gas).

That is all. Now j00 die.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (The HamsterBall)

i first heard about this when i was watching Drift Bible. i know you cant effectively drift in a civic, but i wanted to try. it was really akward at first... and after a while you just get used to it. i do it almost everytime i downshift now without even thinking about it. i actually think that if the pedals are spaced like stock it is easier because you have room to rotate your ankle... at least if you wear a size 12 shoe that works... i would say just go out into the country or somewindy roads and just go at the corner at normal speed, push in the clutch, tap the brakes, and when the revs drop to about 2500-3000 tap the gas and downshift. you can practice while sitting still or just dicking around by rotating yout ankle. practice makes perfect!

also...if you are used to using your toes to brake, try to position the pad of your foot on the pedal and rotate your foot. the last thing...the first few times you go at the corner too fast and cant rotate it will scare the **** out of you...i know, i slid into a soy field at 45 around a corner...lol
Old 02-17-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (spoon_ferio)

its kinda hard to know what rpm im at because i dont have a tach. i just listen to my car scream haha. i already know my shift points depends on how fast im going.

1-2 25mph
2-3 45mph
3-4 75mph

Old 02-17-2005, 05:10 AM

Lol, I didnt have a tach either, I have a 92 hatch DX, I just got my tach on last night, bought it from a friend, it makes things ALOT easier
Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 AM

either get a tach or learn teh sound, downshift wihtout heal-and-toeing and listen where the car is at when u release teh clutch, them match that at that speed when you heal-toe
Old 02-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my 2 cents worth i have half of my foot hanging off the brake pedal its at about a 45 degree angle then just roll my foot over till it hits the gas.very comfortable.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (modedicebox)

wear skateboarding shoes if urs are too narrow that will give u a little more length depth when you roll your heal. i use adidas driving shoes that are very narrow and have no problem at all...just takes practice
Old 02-17-2005, 07:18 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (delslow94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rice Is Best &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its kinda hard to know what rpm im at because i don't have a tach. i just listen to my car scream haha. i already know my shift points depends on how fast im going.

1-2 25mph
2-3 45mph
3-4 75mph

</TD></TR></TABLE>

For one, you never mentioned what year CX you have (92-95 are different than 96-00). Second, your shift point depends on how hard your accelerating. My 94 CX is going really fast when I top out 2nd. But seriously, get yourself a tach because it really helps you understand what the engine is doing.

What size shoe do you wear? I have a 12, and I can't rotate my toe into position on the brake like most write-ups describe (knee hits steering column). I have to place the left half of my foot on the break, while rolling the right half onto the gas. You will find that using the brake while repeatedly bliping the throttle causes you to unintentionally pump the brakes. Eventually you will overcome this action, and get really smooth.

Pedal covers really help with foot reach, but I recently removed mine. I found that the lame clips on the back keep the gas pedal from going all the way to the floor, and the wider sides get caught on the floormat. It makes it a bit harder without covers, but my big feet make it doable.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (94eg!)

94 cx. i **** at those points to avoid the rev limiter
Old 02-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont have a tach either in my dx...but i just know my engine real good....so instead of heal toeing first i just practiced rev matching when i downshift....so like your in fourth, you push in the clutch, then as your moving it through neutral let out the clutch push the gas to get up your revs, put the clutch back in and complete the shift....this way you can get you know how much to rev b4 hurting your brakes trying to get your heal toe to work
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (meccA's eg6)

I heel toe, but only when I race autocross. Never on the street. I match my revs when I downshift, but i don't heel toe on the street.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Hardest part about this technique imo is braking smoothly with your right foot.... for me since I'm so used to the left foot braking... I hit the brakes way too had or not enough. It takes time to get used to.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (zhoujieLun)

i like left foot braking better. i can heel-toe, but i don't find myself using it often.

and the Road Racing/Autocross forum would probably give you a better idea.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: how to heel-toe on a civic cx (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

If your good at left foot braking, you can throw heel-toe out the windo & go for the clutchless shift. You just have to be pretty good at rev matching, and make sure you don't try to jam it into gear until after your throttle blip has peaked. If your revs are off by too much, it won't even let you into gear. but if you try it before the throttle blip has peaked, it will grind pretty nasty. It sure makes driving anywhere a whole lot more fun though. As long as you don't stop, you never have to use the clutch.

I cannot left foot brake, so I do this with heel-toe action...

Oh yeah, its easiest to get it out of gear by easing off the gas, instead of just lifting your foot right off.

Quick Reply: how to heel-toe on a civic cx