Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how hard to remove and install ps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how hard to remove and install ps?

im thinking about removing my ps to cuz a lot of ppl say they like it better w/o it and i want to try it. if i dont end up liking it is it hard to put it back on?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how hard to remove and install ps? (93ejay1)

Pull the belt off the P/S pump and try driving it, that'll give you an idea of how it feels and will save you alot of work.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: how hard to remove and install ps? (jlacoy82)

but is it hard to put the belt back on? ive never delt with ps before
Old 05-15-2005, 02:40 PM

Loosen up the mounts for the pump and slip the belt off. I dont know if theres a tensioner or anything for it, but I'd imagine there is.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:52 PM

ive been reading a little and ppl say to get a manual steering rack. will removing it but keeping ps mess up my rack i have now?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:55 PM

No, you just wont have power assisted steering. You want to go through all this work just to find out if you like it or not? Just pull the damned belt off, it will take 5 minutes and that way if you decide you dont like it, you dont have to rebuild your entire steering setup and swap racks/reinstall hydraulics.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the belt off and if you like it then take the pump out and all the lines and the resivoir for it and if you want to put it back in later on you can and all that you will have to do is put the lines and the pump back in. good luck
Old 05-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: how hard to remove and install ps? (Lmgrcivic)

don't get a manual steering rack.

if you just take the belt off the wheel is going to be a little harder to turn than it will be if you loop the rack with a breather. padawan sells these kits for like 60 bucks that have everything you need to do it. it's worth it.

but take the belt off just to try it, and keep in mind if you loop the rack turning the wheel will be easier than it is. i'd say doing that makes it almost halfway inbetween with the pump running and just taking the belt off.

because when you just remove the belt, you are moving all that fluid in the entire system and there's no place for it to go when the pressure builds up so you have to be the one to fight it. when you loop the rack there's considerably less fluid in there and it's able to breath in and out so it's much easier on your arms, but still not as easy as when there's a pump doing it for you, at the expense of weight and some horsepower. take it out, it's worth it. ps is for old people.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: how hard to remove and install ps? (The Internet Tough Guy)

ok i took off the belt and i like it a lot better than having ps. its hard from a dead stop but i gotta work out anyways so i dont mind. once your going passed 5mph it seems the same. i think im going to take out the rest now. what exactly is everything i have to take out and about how much weight will i lose
Old 05-15-2005, 04:54 PM

remove the pump and that bracket that holds it to the block, the reservoir and the lines. the lines go all the way back to the steering rack and can be a bitch to get to, you'll need to loop those two holes together. i know a few people who just completely removed them and run the rack with no fluid and haven't had any problems. i wouldn't recommend doing this though.

padawan sells a kit that has everything you need to loop it together or you can figure out something yourself. once you do this the wheel will be easier to turn.

all the stuff weighs about 15 - 20 pounds
Old 05-15-2005, 04:54 PM

youll get used to it and it will seem normal just take out the pump and tension bracket and hoses resivior the hard part for me was the cooling thing in the front but i did it without taking my bumper off its really not that hard maybe about 20lbs give or take the ac weighs more.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: how hard to remove and install ps? (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Internet Tough Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i know a few people who just completely removed them and run the rack with no fluid and haven't had any problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats what i did but i left the two metal lines coming out so there is still fluid in there and mine works fine the fluid is more used to power assist the steering than a lubricant. but in the end its up to you.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Electrician

Default Re: how hard to remove and install ps? (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats what i did but i left the two metal lines coming out so there is still fluid in there and mine works fine the fluid is more used to power assist the steering than a lubricant. but in the end its up to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, the hydraulic fluid in there is fighting you, it's acting like a barrier. There is no assisting being made, it's fluid you need to force around in there. You're acting like the hydraulic pump.

If you don't loop the system with a resevoir, the fluid will never help you. If you do loop the system, it WILL help you.

Just removing it is NOT the proper way of doing it.