Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to fix engine? please, serious help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix engine? please, serious help

I'm running an '00 Civic with a JDM SiR motor. The motor is pretty junked from a moron of a previous owner. So heres my options, I could rebuild the motor completely, rebuild and turbo it, swap either a ITR B18 or H22 type S for 3800, or get a K20A type R. Obviously the rebuild and turbo will get me most power, but I need this motor fixed quick and not totally with power in mind right now.

The K20A will definaltly cost the most with the motor cost at 5500 alone. But with the plain rebuild of my B16 SiR, I will need a clutch too since it will be fully built all I would need is spare change to get the turbo/N20 if I wanted...

So, I'm looking for experinced responses from people who have these swaps or have experence with them and what they think to do. I have read up on them but I really would like personal opinion on what people think would be best. The K20A is unique but expensive, and my local shop is saying you cant do much with it after its dropped in. And I dont know if a rebuild or swap with the JDM motors is totally what I want so I need your all help with this

Thanks for everyone who reads this, please no smart *** comments telling me to search, I know everything about everything with these motors and these swaps.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: how to fix engine? please, serious help (dkrangers)

What do you plan on doing with this car? Track, auto-x, drag, just a daily driver?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to fix engine? please, serious help (RedlinedVTEC)

Its supposed to be a bit off all, its eventually gonna have a TEIN suspension with EDFC so the suspension will be easily adjusted for different styles. It is my daily driver and has to survive winter since I'm a college student. But my goal once its built is to get it on both a drag and autocross tracks. I dont want this to be an all power car, it has to stay realistic... right now the main goal is to get it running right, I'm blowing black smoke, its running very rich, and is in check engine mode all the time. So I have lots of work to do, but I want this work to be done in a way so that I can get it running right and continue upon the platform that I just fixed up.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well then you'd know that along with motor problems, comes the pain! lol...seriously...what i'd do first, is get those CEL's fixed. That's what you should be worried about. With your car blowing black smoke, running rich and in CEL mode, i'd be REALLY worried. Have you stepped outside yet man?! It's like 4 degrees out there now...just saying i'd hate to see anyone stuck out there in that ridiculous cold beating themselves cuz they shouldve fixed what was wrong right away insted of holding off on it. Then again, it's just my .02
Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to fix engine? please, serious help (civicboisi)

I know its cold outside, I just want the best fix for my car. Because my parents keeps saying once this is fixed they want me to suspend mods until I'm outta school which will be another 3 years! Its my car so they cant stop me but I will not have a lot of money anyways. So anyone got info that might want me to do a swap or which one I should do?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 08:14 AM
cool guy name

if your in your school I would go with the most reliable option. Personally I would stay away from the turbo and na build.

I would either fix the motor i have now or drop a K20 if I had the loot to do so. Dont go into debt fixing your car you should be concentrating on so many other things!!! Go for whats reliable and still fun.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to fix engine? please, serious help (walker111)

I just got new information today, after meeting with a honda tech I found that I am running the stock motor and tranny that came with that car, and not the JDM SiR counterparts. I want to kill the kid that sold me that damn car! Anyways after changing the spark plugs that were coated in black it seem to run better. Plan from here is to do a dyno run with an A/F read out and find out whats up. Then they will have a better idea of what needs to be fixed. Anyone have any other ideas or does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is just the bottom end that is missed up, i would just buy a ls short block and go ls/vtec.