Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to find out what kind of honda i have

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to find out what kind of honda i have

just wondering what how can i do this i brought this car guy just said it was a 96 civic sedan plan on doing work on it are all body kits inter changeable or does it go by what kind of civic i have any advice and tips on this might sound like a dumb question but that's why im here
Old 05-05-2014, 04:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: how to find out what kind of honda i have

Originally Posted by smc1118
just wondering what how can i do this i brought this car guy just said it was a 96 civic sedan plan on doing work on it are all body kits inter changeable or does it go by what kind of civic i have any advice and tips on this might sound like a dumb question but that's why im here
post the vin or find the vin breakdown yourself so you can learn the chassis code. Sounds like a run of the mill 6th Gen (ek) sedan doe
Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by smc1118
Uhoh, I don't think I like the sound of where this is going.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PrettyMuchBoned
post the vin or find the vin breakdown yourself so you can learn the chassis code. Sounds like a run of the mill 6th Gen (ek) sedan doe
Find me an EK sedan. I dare you. Go ahead. Once you find it, go ahead and tell the OP that he has one again.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Find me an EK sedan. I dare you. Go ahead. Once you find it, go ahead and tell the OP that he has one again.
LOL, okay we know its not an EK sedan, its an EJ. Second, if the OP is worried about body kit interchangable than find one specifically for your yr. End of the long pointless search. 96-98 sedan same, 99-00 sedan same THE END. OP please note I said sedan and did not state anything for hatchbacks, throwing that out there before you do something stupid.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

what's the difference J K
Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

It just specifies the Civic type r (EK9), we never had a civic type r in the states. But because the body style never really differ from the usdm models the majority of enthusiast prefer to call it EK. There are those that defend the EK vs EJ. I for one just think it only if it came to specific parts.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by tony_2018
It just specifies the Civic type r (EK9), we never had a civic type r in the states. But because the body style never really differ from the usdm models the majority of enthusiast prefer to call it EK. There are those that defend the EK vs EJ. I for one just think it only if it came to specific parts.
it was a joke lol, but I'm pretty sure there were type R/si sedans. I dunno if I was confused or I hit k instead of J but I think I was confused since I dont like the 6th Gen. I dont like civics at all but I prefer 5th and 8th gen
Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM

Then maybe you should stick to what you know. There was not a Type R sedan for the 6G chassis, but there are EKs that are not Type R's.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Then maybe you should stick to what you know. There was not a Type R sedan for the 6G chassis, but there are EKs that are not Type R's.
this is over muh head.. I'll stick to valve springs
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly, quit trying to belittle people. Everyone here knows that the generic "EK" term means 96-00.

The actual car in question is an EJ6, but everyone refers to it as an EK because if he had said "EJ", we would have no idea what he meant. Did you even know that some 92-95 Civics are EJs? There are also EH Civics from that generation. But everyone still calls them an EG. Do you say the same **** to everyone who refers to their 92-95 Civic as an EG? You might as well comment on every single thread.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Like he^ said, I'm pretty sure IV seen both EK and EJ refer to the 6th Gen.

personally I like calling my civ's 5th gens rather than "eg's".
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by andoxviii
Honestly, quit trying to belittle people. Everyone here knows that the generic "EK" term means 96-00.

The actual car in question is an EJ6, but everyone refers to it as an EK because if he had said "EJ", we would have no idea what he meant. Did you even know that some 92-95 Civics are EJs? There are also EH Civics from that generation. But everyone still calls them an EG. Do you say the same **** to everyone who refers to their 92-95 Civic as an EG? You might as well comment on every single thread.
When you're over in the appearance section, or babbling on with your friends about your mad tyte hella JDM y0 bullshit, call it whatever you want. When you're in the tech section, there are HUGE differences between the chassis', and it makes a HUGE difference. Mincing chassis codes creates the difference of hundreds of horsepower, numerous brake options (both upgrades and downgrades), and, since everyone understands dollar signs, quite literally thousands of dollars.

Prime, dead simple example: "My EK won't accelerate up hills in 5th gear!" Well, you have a problem. "My EJ6 won't accelerate up hills in 5th gear!" you don't have a problem, you have a slow car.

When you're jerking off to dragging frames, oggling at retarded camber, and dickriding anything from Japan "because it's JDM!", call the chassis whatever the **** you want. When you're in the tech section, use the proper chassis code, or don't use a chassis code at all. You may not like the message, but that doesn't make it any less true.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Who did any of that?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Also, there's a thread with about a thousand and five hundred posts, which is titled "what did you do to your EG/EK/ del sol today"

I guess its a very very common mistake to call all 6th gens EK's
Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 PM

A mistake borne of ignorance does not excuse itself. If you don't want to listen to my words, how about the words of brilliant men?

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
-Ben Franklin

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
-Plato

If people can't even be bothered to use proper chassis designators, who are they to even consider helping others work on those cars? It's a dead-simple concept. The only thing in the car world simpler is "lefty loosey, righty tighty". Hell, most of the people around here can't even tell you what the difference between a D16Y5 and D16Y8 is without Googling it. It's a very simple, very important concept that entirely too many people decide to willfully ignore when they really shouldn't. If you're going to talk real tech, in the tech section, you need to know the difference, and properly use the chassis codes. It's that simple.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

True enough sir.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Thread is pretty derailed but there is a reason we use chassis codes like notaracist has said.

Last week there was a thread where a bunch of advice was given then it turned out to be a different car and all the advice was not legit. Proper Identification of the car being diagnosed over the internet is key.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did a little searching i have a dx so what is the difference between dx,ex,lx
Old 05-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Crigey - I know you're connected to the internet because you are posting on it. Is Google broken? No. Search first, ask questions later.

Thread closed because I am going to prevent you from getting e-slapped by others, too.