Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do you REMOVE the LCA balljoint from knuckle & tie rod ball joint to REPLACE? **Pics**

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you REMOVE the LCA balljoint from knuckle & tie rod ball joint to REPLACE? **Pics**

A friend is going to "file" the threads on the balljoints since the castle nuts will not thread onto the joints. I need to remove them so he can take them to the shop to work on.

I want to replace the tie rod balljoint while I have all this apart.

I looked in the Helms manual but did not see how to remove the ball joints. I did see how to seperate the balljoint from the LCA using the tool.

balljoint @ knuckle:

balljoint @ tierod:

Thanks for any help!!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If youre just replacing the tie rod end, whack the stud with a hammer to pop it out.
What do you care about its condition for, if youre changing it.
(be careful to get the threads exactly right when doing this...or your steering will be off)

As for the lower ball joint...Id just replace it, rather than repairing the threads
Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do you REMOVE the LCA balljoint from knuckle & tie rod ball joint to REPLACE? **Pics** (Hybr

basically, you need a ball joit seperator or fork. place it between the lca and ball joint. get a hammer. hit the lca acouple of time. if using a fork hit the fork and they will seperate.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If youre just replacing the tie rod end, whack the stud with a hammer to pop it out.
What do you care about its condition for, if youre changing it.
(be careful to get the threads exactly right when doing this...or your steering will be off)

As for the lower ball joint...Id just replace it, rather than repairing the threads</TD></TR></TABLE>

you should never hit a ball joint at the threads.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He wasnt asking about removing it from the lca....
If youre replacing the joint...who cares what happens to it?
Forks blow
Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to know how you remove them "properly". I say properly because I have to reinstall new ones and don't want any complications with the reinstall.

I have the balljoint fork tool:

Is the proper way to press them out? If I beat them out, how do you reinstall? Surely not beating them back in
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would like to know how you remove them "properly". I say properly because I have to reinstall new ones and don't want any complications with the reinstall.

I have the balljoint fork tool:

Is the proper way to press them out? If I beat them out, how do you reinstall? Surely not beating them back in
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes that is the proper way, just hit the lca with a hammer first, to free it up from the lca, then apply pressure with the balljoint seperator.

oh, by the way, you will need a total different tool to remove the ball joint from the spindle. that tool is called a ball joint remover. i never used one before, but if are planning on doing this yourself, you might want to keep us posted or do a write up on it since there isn't one (not to my knowledge).

if you don't plan on using the balljoint remover, then take the spindle off and take it to a shop to have the joints pressed in and out.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: How do you REMOVE the LCA balljoint from knuckle & tie rod ball joint to REPLACE? **Pics** (Hybr

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need to remove them so he can take them to the shop to work on.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

A new ball-joint is $25. If your removing the old one, just replace it...

The outer tie-rod must be separated from the knuckle the same way you separated the lower ball-joint from the LCA. After that, you use two wrenches to break the jam nut that pressed against it and unscrew it from the inner tie rod.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i remember one of my neighbors doing this to his CRX and it took him 2 days to finish the job (he's just some guy who never really worked on cars)...said they were a btch to replace...subscribe to see exactly how its done because im gonna do this to my hatch soon....

when those bearings go out??it affects the allignment right???i know mines are out since when i tried to put the nut on it, the metal screw part of the joint would spin....shouldnt be doing that right?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have access to an air compressor, you can use an air hammer to bang it out. Just put a bolt on the end of the ball joint thread and air hammer that bitch out, fastest method. Of course this only work on the ball joint on the knuckle. The outer tie rod is just a matter of unbolting.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took my whole knuckle out. It's more work but I didn't have any special tools. After that I used a deep socket the fitted around the threaded part but at the same time will be small enough to push the ball joint out of the barrel thing it's sitting in. Whacked it with a BFH and hard till it came out. Also check or those clamping rings, i forget what they're called. My factory ones just hammered out while the new one had the clamp to help hold it in.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dad0c402 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...Also check or those clamping rings, i forget what they're called. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called a snap-ring (#20) and it keeps the ball-joint from moving up & down in the knuckle. They sell special pliers to install/remove them properly (look like curved needle nose pliers)...

Old 02-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is amazing what you find in the stickied thread up above.

I wrote this up last year. Please read.

How to remove ball joints

m-
Old 02-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario_D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wrote this up last year. Please read.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

your user name and the one on that DIY isnt the same...nice try and good link...
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, the username is not the same, because I found my original name. How about I change my sig under the TGO-MD username. It will read:

B18CivicEG = teh suck

Will the work?

m-
Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol...no need to get mad yo...and about your sig, is your sig, do as you wish not like if its gonna bother me....
Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does this post make my original post have merit now? I was answering the OP's question with a stickied link.

m-
Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TGO-MD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does this post make my original post have merit now? I was answering the OP's question with a stickied link.

m-</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha...lovely...
Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Touche!

Nice sig man.

m-
Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn...thug life all up in this thread.
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario_D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is amazing what you find in the stickied thread up above.

I wrote this up last year. Please read.

How to remove ball joints

m-</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice write up, save as favorites!
Honda-Tech Member

Touche!

Nice sig man.

m-
Old 02-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Touche!

Nice sig man.

m-
Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario_D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Touche!

Nice sig man.

m-</TD></TR></TABLE>

erased as well....just drop it and stop gettin bothered over something small like that..
Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok now is there a way to reinstall the ball joints without using a press? such as a piece of wood and a hammer? please let me know cause i will be doing this this weekend

Quick Reply: How do you REMOVE the LCA balljoint from knuckle & tie rod ball joint to REPLACE? **Pics**