Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do LS motors feel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do LS motors feel?

I know they have a static compression ratio of 9.2:1 quite a bit less than the Vtec motors, and Im curious as to how the motor feels around town. Im guessing the response has to be slightly delayed, but once in upper rpms the extra TQ should keep it moving along with a little pep.

Reason I ask is I am doing a turbo setup and Im debating whether to do a higher c/r for good off boost response around town, or go with lower compression.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do LS motors feel?

i think u have to do sum more research the ls had more tourque than the other b series vtec motors. around town they rnt bad they have pep but lack in the top end. for turbo an ls is definatly a good motor search aroundon here quite a few ppl running ls turbo setups.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls motors are all low end motors. They are torquey and have low compression. People say LS motors love boost because of the low compression. I have an LS swap in my EJ1 and I love it to death. To be honest I think LS motors are underrated [by people not in terms of numbers =P] I feel people do not give enough credit to the LS. My complete LS swap was $900. I have never lost to a b16 swap or even silly v8 mustangs.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it makes more tq, but I am talking about response. take the b16, its not a torquey motor by any stretch of the imagination, but with its higher c/r and tightly geared trans. it has very good throttle response around town, you just dont feel the seat of the pants pull because its not making much tq. Im wanting to know if the LS takes a few seconds to really get going with partial throttle because of its lower c/r

In other words compare a GSR to an LS motor. moving off from a dead stop or putzing around town, how does the LS feel compared to a GSR?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm actually thinking about throwing out the D16 for a LS... There starting to grow on me.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a LS in my EJ8 coupe. extremely fun to drive around town my boy had a b16 in a bubble. honestly prefer to drive the LS around town
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly there isn't any sense in comparing an LS to a Gsr considering that the Gsr has about the same torque as the LS, if you get an LS motor and an Si tranny, it'll get up and go when you step on the Gas, if you get the LS tranny with it, it isn't going to have the pep of it from having an Si tranny, but the LS will get up and go.. it's a good motor, if you are going turbo, I would throw a Gsr tranny behind it.. it'll be perfect for it...

Last edited by iamthefollower; 01-19-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a GSR tranny, its gonna be an LSvtec with a little power, but I dont wanna rely on boost, thats how I built my last b16 and the car was nothing until boost came it,

and it burned gas just putzing around town, because the tranny was too long (LS) and the c/r was too low @ 8.0 So I had to damn near floor it to get any kind of movement out of the car. but You brought up a agood point, with the gsr tranny, and around stockish c/r on the ls/vtec it should move pretty good off boost.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mrmatt3465
Ls motors are all low end motors. They are torquey and have low compression. People say LS motors love boost because of the low compression. I have an LS swap in my EJ1 and I love it to death. To be honest I think LS motors are underrated [by people not in terms of numbers =P] I feel people do not give enough credit to the LS. My complete LS swap was $900. I have never lost to a b16 swap or even silly v8 mustangs.
I am a fan of LS motors too but you are not beating a V8 mustang. You might be able to hang with a 15 year old 5 slow, but anything newer than that would blow you out of the water. At least a stock or Ls motor with bolt-ons...
Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM

my buddy had an ls powered ef w/ limited slip and that fu#ker pulled hard as hell. . .. never had a problem with the motor. . . he also had a 2nd gen teg with a boosted ls on a built ls head and it had to be one of the fastest hondas ive ever been in.just put a si tranny on it you will be happy with it. . and its a boost loving *****
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pffft, i went with the B20Z....it kicks ***! Hakes power right off idle all the way to redline. Honda under rated this engine, it makes more than advertized, and more than an LS

Oh yeah, how does it feel? It feels and drives like a V8
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, you did a clean swap on that b20 swap in ur hatch man...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tercel95
I am a fan of LS motors too but you are not beating a V8 mustang. You might be able to hang with a 15 year old 5 slow, but anything newer than that would blow you out of the water. At least a stock or Ls motor with bolt-ons...
Oh buddy I walked a v8 stang with a license plate frame that said "I eat tuner cars for breakfast". It was a true moment of victory.

As for tranny suggestions. My cousin's hatchback has an LS with a b16 tranny. He walks me from the line hard. But my 3rd gear pulls on him. I have an LS tranny. LS power is down low so an LS tranny is perfect. b16 tranny is much better for an ls/vtec seeing as you make power up high as well. LS trannys are made for the LS powerband. Very simple.

Trust us LS owners. They tug when you tell them to =].
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

for when the LS has to shift----
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Shenanigans

Originally Posted by Boostage
Reason I ask is I am doing a turbo setup and Im debating whether to do a higher c/r for good off boost response around town, or go with lower compression.
the lower compression will allow you to run more boost, the higher compression will allow you to pull more power from the same amount of boost...be careful with a higher compression ratio as the motor will be more prone to detonation

my limited experience with ls motors is that they are dreadfully boring when mated to an ls tranny even in turbo form...a quicker geared trans will do wonders for the motor but id personally choose something with better power numbers wether that be an lsv or a gsr
Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is full of soooo much stupid. First, the relatively low compression of the LS motor does not delay the throttle response. Second, an LS with a B16 tranny will always be faster, given identical conditions. Third, no LS swap is slaying V8 Mustangs on the street. I've owned both, the idea is ludicrous. Unless, as it has been pointed out, the Mustang is 15-20 years old and a bit tired.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go B20z slap a vtec head on it gsr or b16 trans and ull be very happy
Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1
This thread is full of soooo much stupid. First, the relatively low compression of the LS motor does not delay the throttle response. Second, an LS with a B16 tranny will always be faster, given identical conditions. Third, no LS swap is slaying V8 Mustangs on the street. I've owned both, the idea is ludicrous. Unless, as it has been pointed out, the Mustang is 15-20 years old and a bit tired.
Thank you sir...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

doing an LS swap because i rode in my buddies b16 hatch and it honestly barely pulls any harder than my D16 car. hoping the extra torque of the LS is enough to feel. i dont want to race anyone i just like being pushed back into the seat a little bit once in a while
Old 01-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boy did i underestimate the ls i never wanted a car with it i always wanted a vtec motor but when i got my hatch i swap in a 97 ls motor complete swap cause i couldn't afford the vtec lol and holy **** it PULLLSS ive taken rsx-s with mods head to head , couple hatches with b16 's and alot more only car i lost to was a sr20det lol ive clocked in 14.9 with my stock ls with just intake
Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How did you get a 14.9? What track were you at?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my ls very responsive. i love it
Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
Pffft, i went with the B20Z....it kicks ***! Hakes power right off idle all the way to redline. Honda under rated this engine, it makes more than advertized, and more than an LS

Oh yeah, how does it feel? It feels and drives like a V8
you ever gona go vtec?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -=ZAK=-
you ever gona go vtec?
No, and i'll tell you why!

First off, i have i have vtec in a couple of my other cars its alright, but.....

for my B20, the money and time spent putting it on would give and extra 50hp or so on the high end, and a very small amount of torque. Why bother?

I can hop onto ebay and buy a used JR supercharger for like $900. It will give maybe an extra 60hp, plus 40 lbs of torque "thoughout" the entire power band, not just top end like you'd get swapping a head. Makes sense, doesn't it?

BTW, i am pretty happy with the power output. It definitely makes more power than an LS, no problem and it about the same price. It has so much torque in stock form, i can step on it at any lower speed in 1st gear and break the tires loose! Traction is a big issure at lower speeds.
On the other hand, going up hills and such, no need to gear down, just add gas and go
Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
No, and i'll tell you why!

First off, i have i have vtec in a couple of my other cars its alright, but.....

for my B20, the money and time spent putting it on would give and extra 50hp or so on the high end, and a very small amount of torque. Why bother?

I can hop onto ebay and buy a used JR supercharger for like $900. It will give maybe an extra 60hp, plus 40 lbs of torque "thoughout" the entire power band, not just top end like you'd get swapping a head. Makes sense, doesn't it?

BTW, i am pretty happy with the power output. It definitely makes more power than an LS, no problem and it about the same price. It has so much torque in stock form, i can step on it at any lower speed in 1st gear and break the tires loose! Traction is a big issure at lower speeds.
On the other hand, going up hills and such, no need to gear down, just add gas and go
This sounds interesting, considering my W2's will be here withing a couple weeks a B20 does sounds nice. Also there are GSR trannys floating around everywhere right now so I might pick one of them up. How much did you pay for your b20??

Quick Reply: How do LS motors feel?