Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how do i turn off this check engine light of mine??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i turn off this check engine light of mine??

Ey yo guys im in need of some assistance/ I have a 99 Si & a few months ago a friend of mine, who will never touch my car again, almost blew my engine by getting water into the spark plug shafts and although i got all water out and my car is running fine tha check engine light has come on and off and now will not turn off, its been on for like a month now at least/ anyone know how to get it turned off and stay off??

[Modified by blazin99si, 1:11 PM 3/7/2003]
Old 03-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how do i turn off this check engine light of mine?? (blazin99si)

uh...usually there is a reason the CEL is on, did you find out why? But to answer your Q, you have to pull the positive battery cable for 2 min. then you should be good to go.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:39 AM

Default Re: how do i turn off this check engine light of mine?? (hatchdrvr)

yeah what he said, that is what I did last week
Old 03-07-2003, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i turn off this check engine light of mine?? (hatchdrvr)

Tight work man I appreciate it/ its annoyin as fu...../ Anyway, do u know how i would find out why tha cel is on??
Old 03-07-2003, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Two minutes, that'll erase your radio stations. I pull mine off for about five seconds and my CEL is gone and I don't have to enter the code for my radio.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You've gotta read the codes stored in the ECU... That'll tell you what sensor, or other electronic engine control component/system/whatever isn't working correctly.

On OBD1 systems, there's the diagnostic connector on the passenger (On LHD models) kick panel. It's a two wire one with a green cap. Remove and shove a paper clip in the connector so that it contacts the two wires together. The CEL will blink the code. Mainly codes are two digit with no zeros. It'll blink long for first digit adn short for second digit. then it'll wait a few secconds and give you the next code. At the end, it'll start over from the beginning. (IE... LONG LONG short <Few seccon pause> LONG LONG LONG short short <Start all over again>... Means Codes 21 and 32 are present... I dunno what those mean, they're just examples.)

Being that your car is 1999, I assume it has OBD2. For that, you need a code reader... On your driver's side, near the pedals, there should be this trapezoid looking connector. Code reader goes there. You can get shitty generic code readers for like 35 bucks mail order...

I am not sure if OBD2 systems are backwards compatible and have the OBD1 connector as well.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:25 AM

Default Re: how do i turn off this check engine light of mine?? (Pele)

Being that your car is 1999, I assume it has OBD2. For that, you need a code reader... On your driver's side, near the pedals, there should be this trapezoid looking connector. Code reader goes there. You can get shitty generic code readers for like 35 bucks mail order...
Negative. Look above the passenger side kick panel above the ecu. You will see rectangular shaped lime green piece of rubber about 2" inches long and 1" inch in height. Pull the connector with wires running into it out of the rubber peice. With the key in the off positon bridge both sides of the connector together, (use a paper clip or whatever.) Turn the key to the on position and watch the CEL. For the first digit of the code, it will blink in long incriments. Then it will blink rapidly for the second digit of the code. For example, code 23- blink......blink......, blink, blink, blink, then a long pause. If thats your only code, it will repeat until you turn the key off. If its not, it will give you another code the same way as the first. Be sure to un-bridge the connector above the ecu and place it back in the boot before starting your car. After you get the codes, post em up here or check a Helms Manual so you can find out what they are and get your running good again. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do i turn off this check engine light of mine?? (Pele)

Good lookin out man
Old 03-07-2003, 06:28 AM

No problem. I also have a Helms so I can tell you what your codes are.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:41 AM

If your car is a manual, a neat trick to reset the ECU is to turn the engine off while in the higher gears (4&5) and turn it back "on" without engaging the starter. Basicly it should cut power and self-diagnostic check should run and the CEL will go off. However, your problem will soon be identified by the ECU and the CEL will come on again. WEll at least this way you don't have to open your hood or lose your radio presets.