Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem...

So, a buddy and I are building a d16z6 buggy (pics below) and we're nearing starting it up. We're curious as how to "rig" up a way to start the thing. We have the body harness and everything needed to hook up all the way to the ecu, but a large section of the body harness is cut. We're open to ANY ways of hooking up this starter and getting this motor running. Pics...

and more.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
koa
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem... (EH3Civic)

i dunno but tht thing is bad ***
Old 01-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem... (EH3Civic)

Thanks koa, hopefully it will be killer once its done or atleast running.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Davis Photography

is the starter on the motor? I would run some wiring to a button near the steering wheel to start the car, also it wouldn't hurt to have a battery kill switch.

one word tho, BOOST.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DrewMD)

if ytou can read a schematic, i would figure out which wires were need to get the started, and leave the rest alone... dope buggy btw....seen a buggy with a type r motor in it at dumont before... dope
Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdotjones)

Thats the basic idea right now. We just want to get the thing to turn over, and the next step is for it to run right.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrewMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
one word tho, BOOST.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We've already got an intercooler lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdotjones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> dope buggy btw....seen a buggy with a type r motor in it at dumont before... dope</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks a lot. I've actually had a LOT of thoughts of taking my motor from my hatch and putting it in there. Its a moderately built b18c with JUN3 cams, JUN complete valvetrain, flatfaced valves, buddyclub headgasket (supathin), RMF header ect.... That would be a beast of an allmotor buggy. But as it is, the d16z6 is the test motor in it, then we'll see what happens.

My biggest problem are as to what ALL processes are needed to get the motor to turn over and then start. Fuel pump needs voltage, starter needs voltage, what else?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EH3Civic)

Ya get your self a Start button and hook it up to the starter
Old 01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya get your self a Start button and hook it up to the starter </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it as simple as this?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH3Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is it as simple as this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep good luck that thing looks bad ***
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH3Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is it as simple as this?</TD></TR></TABLE>
it should work. me and my bro did it to his el camino. wire a momentary switch,(push button) from the battery, to the starter. run a fuse to be safe.....
Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Is it as simple as this... Ya get your self a Start button and hook it up to the starter </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jrs95civic)

sick!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Needs More Cowbell

Default Re: (jrs95civic)

it won't run unless the injectors are pulsing and all of the sensors are wired, but you can just make it turn over by jumping the starter if that is all that you are wanting.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (newby_j)

This is what i always wanted to do Whenever i get a swap where the owner left the motor i would always say "ok this is the buggy/go kart motor" but end up selling it or tossing it for space. expletive it im doing it with the next motor..... thanks

Also mind showing pics of the shift linkage? I had some crazy ideas to make it work but wondering if there is easier ways.

Anyway for your starter, you have to ground the motor, have the direct batt wire connected then have a separate 12v source. When i first was starting up my car with the race harness i didnt have the starter wired, so i just had that 12v source hanging and touched it with a 12v source whenever i wanted to start it. This is of course if you have everything already wired up correctly. The correct grounds and power sources to the ecu to the sensors, etc.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is your rear suspension the front suspension off a civic?
those look like tokico blues and gc coil overs with some serious spacers to me.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

sik buggy
Old 01-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redb16coupe)

I appreciate all the input fellas. Its a lot of help and pays to have more than one brain think about all this stuff. I believe I have everything the way it needs to be and am probably going to try and start it tonight.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your rear suspension the front suspension off a civic?
those look like tokico blues and gc coil overs with some serious spacers to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the suspension is off a civic (several actually, in order to line everything up and be asthetically pleasing as well). Right now the tokico's are just a temporary standin until we decide what shocks to use. The only thing additional that we did was raise the coilovers all the way up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">expletive it im doing it with the next motor..... thanks

Also mind showing pics of the shift linkage? I had some crazy ideas to make it work but wondering if there is easier ways.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, you really should...the next project will be a street cart (kinda like a caterham super7) with a 302 in it. But that project is YEARS down the road.

The shift linkage and brakes are the next step, but I drew up some designs in SolidWorks for the movement of such a rigid setup and I think I have the right idea. Essentially, since the engine has rubber motor mounts and is not PERFECTLY rigid, the stabilizer bar must accompany the shifter bar. Basically, it works just like the stock linkage where as it kinda will look like this....

front of car motor rear of car
0 &lt; shifter
I
I_ &lt; boot transmission hookup =I
I________________________________I

It kinda cuts and goes backwards but attaches at the transmission with the same geometry so that when you go to first, the linkage goes back, and second gear will make it go towards the front. I'll try to draw up a better picture.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha I got the same motor in my hatchback but in a buggy holy crap that thing would be quick especially with a turbo like mine haha hope you get it to start some way or another
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem... (Markb16a)

Well, turns out i'm gonna need a few more wires than what I have. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok not to sound like an *** but if you take apart a compleat harness say from like a 95 teg (this was my doner car at the time) a 94 Del Sol and a 95 Civic and remove all the cassings from the wire around the ECU plugs you will find that ther is only three wires you need to Mess with. One is for the CEL. (this wire to one side of light bulb the other to ground) One goes to the connector for pulling the CEL's when grounded and the other is Switched Power. all the rest of the wires go to the motor to body connector under the hood and striat to the motor harness. All you need after that is a Switched Power source for the fuel pump and make sure the ECU, Motor, Coil and fuel all have power and ground.

i started a d16z6 on a shop floor this way.

the 2 foot section of harness that go's from the ECU to Under hood connector (ther is NO stray wires at this connection point (one connector for body electronics i.e. headlights, blinkers rad fan... and two for the motor harness) and then the alt power out cable.) the motor harness, fuel pump and a 5 gal bucket of gas.

hooked a common ground to the ECU, Motor and Fuel Pump. used jumper cables and a battery. motor started and ran fine all while sitting on a spare tire sitting on a Shop floor.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 AM

Default Re: How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem... (koa)

b<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by koa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dunno but tht thing is bad ***</TD></TR></TABLE>
X3
goodluck!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem... (Solster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok not to sound like an *** but if you take apart a compleat harness say from like a 95 teg (this was my doner car at the time) a 94 Del Sol and a 95 Civic and remove all the cassings from the wire around the ECU plugs you will find that ther is only three wires you need to Mess with. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh no, I appreciate the response more than you can imagine. We've had the right ideas and in taking out the harness we cut ALL the body harness and just left those for the ecu to body...the CEL and switched power need to be addressed but i think it'll be starting sometime tomorrow. THANKS!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also not knowing what you are using for a fuel tank i might recomend a Del Sol fuel tank. that are 12 Gal and not as big as most honda tanks. there taller then most and triangle shaped vs. say a civic witch is flater and rectangled.

I'll post a pic in a min or two.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem... (Solster)

this is the old tank out of my 95 del sol. i got 1 1/2 cups of dried rust dust out of it and there's still ALOT more in there.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ2-B16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ2-B16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres what you do, run fuel to the motor

get a battery, and a starter button switch.

hook the start button to the battery and the start, feed the motor the fuel. and wala itl start</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah yung grass hopper you for get if the ECU is not hooked up correctly there will be No spark to to make fuel burn and there for motor not run.

also there are some wire's from the ecu that if cut will never work right again.

i learned how to start a honda motor (d16z6) on a shop floor after my buddy spent $600 at the dealer to have them rewire a new ecm connector set in his 94 del sol and it still wouldn't start. so i striped the ecu to motor harness out of his 95 teg he totaled.
thats how i found out there's only tree wires that go to any where other then the motor on the ecu harnness.

also i forgot the the main +12V to the ecu comes from the motor harness so if the wire went to the fuse block under the hood make sure you hook it to the +12V of the battery. also make sure if it was connected to the bode or motor block you give it a GOOD ground.

Quick Reply: How do I start my car??? D16z6...with slight wiring problem...