Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do i know if engine is stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i know if engine is stolen?

i was wondering if its possible to find out if the motor i just got is stolen? it a canadian b18b 94-95. can anyone help me out?
Old 06-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (frostt3ch)

check the VIN number on the engine and or tranny
Old 06-03-2003, 08:52 PM

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (Hybrid95CivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid95CivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the VIN number on the engine and or tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

and then what? run a carfax or what?
Old 06-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought there weren't any tags on motors before 1995??
Old 06-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (SleepyDX)

what i did was write down the VIN # off the block and took it to the CHP and had them run it. mine turned out clean, but i heard if it does show up stolen, they will impound it and question you
Old 06-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (whoDAT)

why do you guys care so much if you got a stolen engine? yeah it sucks but if you really had any doubts, why did you buy it? Its not like a cop is going to pop your hood and look at the engine and go "Yup, thats that stolen engine from California"
Old 06-03-2003, 09:04 PM

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (EF9_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you guys care so much if you got a stolen engine? yeah it sucks but if you really had any doubts, why did you buy it? Its not like a cop is going to pop your hood and look at the engine and go "Yup, thats that stolen engine from California" </TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont live in cali...

this is the state where if you get caught racing (stoopid but hey, people do it) your car will be impounded for 30 days, you get to pay the impound fee, and if anything on your car is stolen, it will be taken out, and your car will be returned to you minus all your hard earned parts. Plus ticket cost, court fees, blah blah blah
Old 06-03-2003, 09:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you guys care so much if you got a stolen engine? yeah it sucks but if you really had any doubts, why did you buy it? Its not like a cop is going to pop your hood and look at the engine and go "Yup, thats that stolen engine from California" </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, they have/will run the VIN #'s on your motor to check if it was stolen or not. I think its great. If you went about it the legal way, and you have paperwork to prove it, then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (EKology)

then why not take the VIN plate off and tell them its jDM?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then why not take the VIN plate off and tell them its jDM?</TD></TR></TABLE>
cops aren't that stupid, especially if they specialize in it.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (Hybrid95CivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid95CivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the VIN number on the engine and or tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

where is the VIN number on the block?

i have a block number, but no VIN.

Does anyone know how I can check if its stolen just from the block number?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (ALLMOTOR18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ALLMOTOR18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

where is the VIN number on the block?

i have a block number, but no VIN.

Does anyone know how I can check if its stolen just from the block number?</TD></TR></TABLE>User CHAD and I were just talking about this last week. We agreed that by the block number there is no way they could ever trace you and that there is probably a couple blocks with the same exact number. And YES cops are that dumb, it is just a plaque. take it off.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:25 PM

I dont get why the F&*%k you people are encouraging the purchase of stolen motors?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:48 PM

so there isnt any way to tell? yah mine doesnt have a plate just a block number? so does that mean mines a 95 or 94? how would i get the refree if i dont know the year? and no vin# just block?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as i understand it, the vin numbers on the engine DO NOT match the car's vin number.

rather, honda has a list which tells which motor ended up in which chassis, and in order to check an entity like the california highway patrol (not sure if they have the ability) or honda motor company can look into their databases and see if the vehicle the engine came out of has been reported stolen. its actually a very difficult process and one the police will rarely follow through with.

i am doing a study in enthnography of deviance here in the tampa bay area and i've been spending time with the tampa police department...riding around on saturday nights etc...i will make sure to ask them how they determine whether a mtoor is legal or illegal...although in this area because emissions are of NO CONCERN i doubt the type of engine in various cars is something they worry about...although i could be wrong.

Old 06-04-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (EKology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont get why the F&*%k you people are encouraging the purchase of stolen motors? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i bet u half of the people on here probably have stolen blocks in their cars. ever wonder how half the people at the track with civics are running 13.8's all motor soo quickly???? no one runs b16s in nj they are just slow. granted i dont agree with it, but there are people who do it because they cant afford 3500 for a legit swap @18, 19 years old. they dont think so they just buy what they can get for cheaper. think about it if u could get away with it and spend a thousand less for a swap would u get it???? i bet u'd thnk about it. **** i did. but thats why my car has a b18b because i couldnt afford a legit gsr swap so i got a legit ls. if the kid bought a hot motor w/o knowing then he might as well use it.
grind out the numbers, under b18c1 tag and then fill it back up, shave it, repaint the block ur **** will look like a JDM motor. yes i knew stupid people when i was young.
i liek the idea though that they are starting to crack down in nj for stolen motors now it makes having a hybrid alot less stressful when leaving it at the mall or movies.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two of my buddies still haven't gotten their cars back out of impound. Both had stolen motors. I don't think they ever will get them back. At 150 a day for 2 and a half months I think their cars are going nto be going to auction..
Old 06-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (chet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as i understand it, the vin numbers on the engine DO NOT match the car's vin number.

rather, honda has a list which tells which motor ended up in which chassis, and in order to check an entity like the california highway patrol (not sure if they have the ability) or honda motor company can look into their databases and see if the vehicle the engine came out of has been reported stolen. its actually a very difficult process and one the police will rarely follow through with.

i am doing a study in enthnography of deviance here in the tampa bay area and i've been spending time with the tampa police department...riding around on saturday nights etc...i will make sure to ask them how they determine whether a mtoor is legal or illegal...although in this area because emissions are of NO CONCERN i doubt the type of engine in various cars is something they worry about...although i could be wrong.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that wouldn't make sense at all. how sure are you about that? there is no reason why a vin on the engine would be different from the vin on the firewall or dash. it's from the same car, so same vin. i'm gonna check my vin tomorrow on my engine and see what i find.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (civicdxtyper)

i don't think its feasable for honda to print block numbers matching vin numbers...

think about how difficult it would be...

and i've never seen a block number that actually matches a car's vin number...which is what leads me to believe what i do.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:52 PM

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (fishnfst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishnfst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Two of my buddies still haven't gotten their cars back out of impound. Both had stolen motors. I don't think they ever will get them back. At 150 a day for 2 and a half months I think their cars are going nto be going to auction..</TD></TR></TABLE>

the most fucked up thing ur freinds will see is when they take out the motor. the car will be strait chopped it will be a nightmare to wire up that car again
Old 06-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (chet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't think its feasable for honda to print block numbers matching vin numbers...

think about how difficult it would be...

and i've never seen a block number that actually matches a car's vin number...which is what leads me to believe what i do.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

why isn't it feasible? they can put matching vins on the firewall, dash, and all the stickers on the different parts. why can't they put a matching one on the engine? it wouldn't make any sense at all to have an unmatching vin on the engine. the point of a vin on the engine is to see what car the engine is from. if the vin is different, then how can you tell? the cars you were checking must have had changed engines, because that just wouldn't make sense. i have a 97 hatch, my dad has a 96 coupe, and my mom has a 97 accord. i'll check them all tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i think when honda is producing vehicles on an assembly line its easier to just document which motor goes into which chassis...without stamping the vehicle again with a second vin number...etc...
Old 06-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that wouldn't make sense at all. how sure are you about that? there is no reason why a vin on the engine would be different from the vin on the firewall or dash. it's from the same car, so same vin. i'm gonna check my vin tomorrow on my engine and see what i find.</TD></TR></TABLE> They are the same. I just had my block out to put my head and tranny on & the matched the vin on the dash
Old 06-04-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (juicedricer)

Heres where your all wrong!!! Here in cali I know for a FACT!!! that the engine #'s match vin #'s. I had a freind with a stolen block in his car he sleved,decked,o-ringed Ect ect ect fully built eagle rods bla bla bla.. He was stopped in san deigo for street racing they impounded his car,they RIPPED the motor out of it cut harness ect... and on top of that he had to pay 300.00 for "THEFT RECEVORY ENGINE REMOVAL" he finally got his car back but could not prove that he purchased any of the stuff on the motor so he's out like 5grand for the motor work and looking for the Guy who sold him the block!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do i know if engine is stolen? (hndarcrb18c1)

cali is 100% gay

the things i'd do if that **** ever happened to me. it'd be a rampage i tell ya.

Quick Reply: How do i know if engine is stolen?