Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I get front LCA off without that special tool??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get front LCA off without that special tool??

I'm changing my trannies and the front LCA is bolted to the brake rotor hub or whatever it is. So I unscrewed the Toothed Nut( Castle nut) and tried to hit it off. Maybe i didn't hit it hard enough.

I looked in my Haynes manual and it had a special tool that you use to take it off. You screw down and the pressure pops the LCA off.
I guess its like a bearing popper?

They sell these at Advanced auto parts store and such don't they?

PLease help me because I need my car back on the road <FONT SIZE="5">ASAP</FONT>
Right now they car is sitting in the garage on jack stands.

BTW

Im swapping trannies because I heard a grinding noise coming from the tranny.
So as part of the process, I drained the MTF. Watching it drain, I could see little *****s and chunks of metal coming out with the fluid!!!! One chunk was almost the size of a BB
Not too good I assume. I guess it's a good thing I am switching them now instead of waiting.

I would really appreciate some help.

I have searched, but I am having a little trouble trying to understand everything.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I get front LCA off without that special tool?? (Mr. Teal)

bump help this guy out
Old 02-21-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: How do I get front LCA off without that special tool?? (bonta-kun)

its called a tie-rod puller or tie-rod fork.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take off the upper ball joint, it's a whole lot easier than the bottom.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I get front LCA off without that special tool?? (Gump)

Whats the upper ball joint? I'm trying to pull the axle without removig it from the hub.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ill effects of not using the right tool, which is this (there are a couple different kinds)...

Be sure and thread the nut to the end of the ball joint threads, or you'll have this happen and have to replace it. As far as getting it out without removing it from the hub, that is going to be a lot more work then just pulling it out of the hub.

The upper ball joint is the one that connects you knuckle to the upper A arm. You'd still have to undo all your lower suspension (damper fork, lower ball joint) to get it out.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (92b16vx)

just take the castelated nut off and hit the upper a-arm with a bubber mallet until she pops off...always done it this way with no problems...just dont be a wuss it does take some force to knock that baby off! with this method you dont have to take the whole assembly off. good luck!
Old 02-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2trix)

If its been a long time it takes a lot to get them off. This is what i do. I jack the car up on one side put a jack stand under it take the wheel off. Then i put the lug nuts back on tight with out the wheel. I take the castle nut off then i put the jack under the rotor jack it up slowly. DO NOT LIFT IT UP OFF THE JACK STAND then i use a hammer tap the lca. It works all the time for me i use the spring and the weight of the car to take it off. i hope this helps
Old 02-22-2004, 10:26 AM

just take the castle nut off like you did.. lift up on the brake assembly and and hit the lca with a hammer.. should pop right off if for some strange reason it wont come off put the nut back on and take off the upper ball joint... you can take the axles out by doing it either way
definitely dont buy any special expensive tool
Old 02-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (delslowh23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delslowh23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I take the castle nut off then i put the jack under the rotor jack it up slowly. DO NOT LIFT IT UP OFF THE JACK STAND </TD></TR></TABLE>
Haha, I did that last time I had it all apart. I was putting it back together and the ball joint was spinning, so I cranked it up with a transmission jack, then I noticed that corner was on the lift anymore
Old 02-22-2004, 11:13 AM

use the fork of a hammer and gently pry it apart while hitting the stud part with a rubber mallet. itll pop apart.
be careful not to rip the rubber or all the love juice will come out
Old 02-22-2004, 12:52 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=761380
Old 02-22-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: How do I get front LCA off without that special tool?? (AmginE)

Omg all these lame *** way to take off a ball joint. The best simple way which a real mechanic will know.

1 remove the lower pin/castle nut
2 use a hammer and start pounding the **** out of the SIDE OF THE LCA
3 about 3 good bang on it u'll see it pop out
4 nothing goes bad the enitre ball joint is untouch
5 I'll put my car on it (it's the best way to take off any ball joint without using special tools that will rip the boot)
Old 02-22-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: How do I get front LCA off without that special tool?? (si foo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si foo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Omg all these lame *** way to take off a ball joint. The best simple way which a real mechanic will know.

5 I'll put my car on it (it's the best way to take off any ball joint without using special tools that will rip the boot)</TD></TR></TABLE> my man has it.... as a mechanic you learn that there is a tool for EVERYTHING!!!.... tool companies do that to make money.. there is no need to go out and my a removal tool for everything you would be broke... thats how we get the ball joints out of every car at my shop.. no damage done what so ever
Old 02-22-2004, 02:28 PM

You don't need to separate the ball joint when removing an axle, dropping a tranny, or doing a swap. All I do and many people I know do is:

Break loose the axle nut, drop the strut assembly and put it aside. Next just drop the upper A-arm the whole suspension can pivot freely now. Slide the axle out of the hub then out of the tranny. Drop tranny. Do what needs to be done, put tranny back. Slide axle into tranny and make sure it seats fully and snaps in place. Slide other end into hub and thread axle nut on. Reattach the upper A-arm to chasis. Reinstall strut assembly. Torque down axle nut. Done. Laugh at everyone that complains about torn ball joints while drinking a beer.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si foo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Omg all these lame *** way to take off a ball joint. The best simple way which a real mechanic will know.

5 I'll put my car on it (it's the best way to take off any ball joint without using special tools that will rip the boot)</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah just beat the **** out the side of it yo
Old 02-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5 I'll put my car on it (it's the best way to take off any ball joint without using special tools that will rip the boot)</TD></TR></TABLE>

what pops out?? You mean the LCA will pop off the bolt that the castle nut was on?

This is so freakin agrivating. Maybe I will see about going to Autozone and getting that tool. I'm trying to use what I have at the house because I am broke.

So far Iv'e tried using

A prybar, a stock lug wrench, a 3 ton jack support as a hammer, the floor jack handle as a hammer extention...ect.

I dont know what I am doing wrong! Its not working at all!
maybe Im just not mechanically inclined...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlinedVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't need to separate the ball joint when removing an axle, dropping a tranny, or doing a swap. All I do and many people I know do is:
Break loose the axle nut, drop the strut assembly and put it aside. Next just drop the upper A-arm the whole suspension can pivot freely now. Slide the axle out of the hub then out of the tranny. Drop tranny. Do what needs to be done, put tranny back. Slide axle into tranny and make sure it seats fully and snaps in place. Slide other end into hub and thread axle nut on. Reattach the upper A-arm to chasis. Reinstall strut assembly. Torque down axle nut. Done. Laugh at everyone that complains about torn ball joints while drinking a beer.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would if I had the right size socket and the breaker wrench.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Teal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what pops out?? You mean the LCA will pop off the bolt that the castle nut was on?

This is so freakin agrivating. Maybe I will see about going to Autozone and getting that tool. I'm trying to use what I have at the house because I am broke.

So far Iv'e tried using

A prybar, a stock lug wrench, a 3 ton jack support as a hammer, the floor jack handle as a hammer extention...ect.

I dont know what I am doing wrong! Its not working at all!
maybe Im just not mechanically inclined...

I would if I had the right size socket and the breaker wrench.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude what don't u get?
the ball joint will pop out (the bolt where the castle nut was, lol) after a good pounding. don't use a prybar or anything else cuz i might tear the boot off the ball joint...

this will help u alot and if u still don't get it just bring it to a shop cuz u'll never get it...

1 put the car on jack stands or what ever u have
2 put the keys in so the wheel will turn free
3 remove the wheel
4 remove the pin and castle nut 17"
5 use a hammer and start pounding the SIDE of the LCA
6 after a good pounding try to lift the hub up to see if it's off the LCA if not pound some more...
7 it's will come off the LCA
8 then u do what u have to do once it's off the LCA
9 it's very eazy take's about 5 mins
10 if u still can't get it off go eat and then burn the car up
Old 02-22-2004, 03:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The ill effects of not using the right tool, which is this (there are a couple different kinds)...

Be sure and thread the nut to the end of the ball joint threads, or you'll have this happen and have to replace it. As far as getting it out without removing it from the hub, that is going to be a lot more work then just pulling it out of the hub.

The upper ball joint is the one that connects you knuckle to the upper A arm. You'd still have to undo all your lower suspension (damper fork, lower ball joint) to get it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the worst tool to ever use on a car, half the ppl don't even know wtf it's for and how to use it. look at the ball joint the boot is ripped and the tread looks like it's all fu*ked up. So that's a tool that can take off a ball joint and have to replace a ball joint afterward. never use it only thing it's good for is to crack some nuts with it. And the fork tool tense to rip boots, all thses gay special tools and all u need is just a household hammer....

learn how to do it with a hammer and ur life is much more better
Old 02-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si foo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude what don't u get?
the ball joint will pop out (the bolt where the castle nut was, lol) after a good pounding. don't use a prybar or anything else cuz i might tear the boot off the ball joint...

this will help u alot and if u still don't get it just bring it to a shop cuz u'll never get it...

1 put the car on jack stands or what ever u have
2 put the keys in so the wheel will turn free
3 remove the wheel
4 remove the pin and castle nut 17"
5 use a hammer and start pounding the SIDE of the LCA
6 after a good pounding try to lift the hub up to see if it's off the LCA if not pound some more...
7 it's will come off the LCA
8 then u do what u have to do once it's off the LCA
9 it's very eazy take's about 5 mins
10 if u still can't get it off go eat and then burn the car up</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, I pounded the side of the LCA many times with the sledge hammer, it still didnt come off!! With a sledgehammer! On both sides too.

So far Ive taken out the suspention, unhooked the steering rod, and all that is left is the LCA and the big long thingy connecting to the upper ball joint.

More pounding I guess.
Maybe I will break down and spend about 10$
Old 02-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lift up on the whole thing, then put a crowbaron the inside of the balljoint and let it down so that the crowbar is held between the LCA and ball joint. Than jump on the crowbar, take 5 seconds
Old 02-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use a pry bar and pry up between the lower arm and knuckle you might have already gotten it loose and not know it. also you never remove the strut assembly before pounding on the lower arm. the strut push down on the lower arm while you are pounding on it and well help free the balljoint. if you take it out there is no tension on the arm and means more work for you.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: How do I get front LCA off without that special tool?? (tvrsir)

just bang on the control arm. it will fall
Old 02-22-2004, 06:50 PM

how big was that sledge and swing it like you mean it
Old 02-22-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (warwagon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by warwagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how big was that sledge and swing it like you mean it</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha

Quick Reply: How do I get front LCA off without that special tool??