Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do I clean this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I clean this?

Hello everyone. I'm going to try to make this as short as possible but with the information everyone might need in order to help me out. Thanks in advance for any help what so ever.

My car has been stumbling/bogging/lagging for a 3 days. After the 3rd day, the car decides not to even start. I checked the plugs, coils, fuel pump, filter, and just about everything. 2 days later, I found out that the injectors weren't spraying. So I thought it might have been an electrical problem since all 4 of them aren't working. Checked all the wiring, and everything seems to be getting power. The ECU is fine. So my last guess would be clogged fuel injectors which seem kind of weird because there's such a slim chance of ALL 4 clogging all at once.

Fuel is going through the filter to the rail because when I loosen the hose, fuel will start splattering all over the place if I loosen it loose enough. The problem is, they're not shooting out of the injectors.

My question for all you H-T members is, How do I clean the injectors when my car doesn't even start? Or how much will I be looking to spend to have the fuel system flushed out..? Can any one please help me?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2002, 12:39 PM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (Esone3)

ttt Please.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not sure I will help, but this is what I do know about the injectors and it may give you a starting point.

In order for the injectors to open up, there has to be an electrical current running to them. So if you were to pull the injectors and spray a carb cleaner through them without a current, you'll get nothing coming out the other end.

If they won't allow fuel to pass through them, my bet is that you ought to check the wiring running to them or a fuse, if there is one specifically designated to the injectors.

Hope this helps some.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:35 PM
Trial User

You said you pulled the plugs, but did you read them? If so, how did they look? With a little effort, they can tell you a lot about how your engine is running.

The Helms has a big section on troubleshooting this kind of thing. Did you do all of the troubleshooting steps? Also, if you have a spare injector clip, you can test the injectors by briefly connecting them to the battery. Polarity doesn't matter. The injector should click when you apply voltage. It won't tell you if the injector is good, but it will tell you if it is dead.

And if you want to have your injectors cleaned, you could try here: http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

I sent mine there and Rich did a nice job. The pricing is very reasonable too.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:41 PM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (ChiBoy)

The injectors are getting voltage. They're just not spraying. The plugs are Denso Irridium's (sp?) and they're fairly new. A little black but it's normal. No Biggie. Anyway, I used a tester to see if they injectors were getting power, which the are. All of them. But for some reason, they don't want to spray so I'm guessing it might have been clogged since I've been running low on gas a lot lately. It's probably sucking up all th 87 octane **** that the previous owner put in...

I'm gonna run them through Carb Cleaner and see what happens..Wish me luck and thanks for the help..Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2002, 10:01 PM

yeah, buy some rc injectors. YAY, more powa.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:36 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me, I'd just install new injectors. They don't cost that much. It's all labor. If you need to have it done by someone else, bend over and spread 'em.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:46 PM
HT White Ops

The injectors are getting voltage. They're just not spraying... Anyone else have any suggestions?
Oh, yeah, one last thing. You didn't say anything about checking the fuel pressure. You need like 32-40 psi on the rail, if I remember correctly, otherwise they won't squirt. I think they quit working at like 28 psi. Sorry for not being more specific, but I think you get the idea. I'm too lazy to look it up tonight. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2002, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How do I clean this? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Oh, yeah, one last thing. You didn't say anything about checking the fuel pressure.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:20 PM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (Chiovnidca)

Okay...I attempted to clean out the injectors. After doing so, I cranked the car and it wasn't spraying..but sputtering. So at least it gave me a clue that something was clogged up. I took the fuel line off of the FPR and cranked it. Fuel splattere everywhere ofcourse but i was happy that it did because at least I know the problem is AFTER the fuel filter.

Now, Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the fuel go from the fuel filter, into the FPR, through the fuel rail, a portion goes into the injectors (4), and the rest goes OUT the rail? Am I correct? I"m not too sure myself but I heard it goes OUT the rail as well. I decided to hook everything back up, but take out the line that goes OUT the rail. I cranked it, and nothing came out of the rail. So that means, The fuel might be stuck in the FPR somehow? I'm not sure..

Anyways, my story conclude this...

fuel is going to the fuel rail, just not OUT the fuel rail...so does that mean the FPR is clogged? Very little fuel spits out of the injectors...or shall I say "splatter to be exact"...So I'm guessing the FPR is clogged?

I hope someone can help me out. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

-Albert
Old 11-17-2002, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the injectors getting the proper amount of voltage?
Old 11-17-2002, 02:36 PM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (Nameless)

Yes..They're all getting the correct/same voltage..just no spraying.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:39 PM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (Nameless)

Fuel comes out of the filter, to the rail and all injectors, and then exist's thru the fpr that is the hose coming off the bottom of it
Old 11-17-2002, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fuel is going to the fuel rail, just not OUT the fuel rail...so does that mean the FPR is clogged? Very little fuel spits out of the injectors...or shall I say "splatter to be exact"...So I'm guessing the FPR is clogged?
What is your fuel presure? Sounds like it may be low.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:38 PM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (Chiovnidca)

Fuel comes out of the filter, to the rail and all injectors, and then exist's thru the fpr that is the hose coming off the bottom of it
Mines is a little different...My small hole that you're refering to is a VAC line.

What is your fuel presure? Sounds like it may be low.
I'm not so sure about the pressure. What are the chances of a bad FPR?

-Thanks.

Old 11-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not so sure about the pressure. What are the chances of a bad FPR?
Low.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:12 PM
HT White Ops

...Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the fuel go from the fuel filter, into the FPR, through the fuel rail, a portion goes into the injectors (4), and the rest goes OUT the rail? Am I correct? I"m not too sure myself but I heard it goes OUT the rail as well...
OMG!!! A virgin! Poor baby! You don't have a clue do you...

Look, the gasoline goes around in a circle. It goes from the fuel tank to the rail and back to the gas tank again. The FPR, so called, is nothing but a restrictor. It restricts the flow of the fuel back to the gas tank. In doing so, fuel pressure builds in the fuel rail; actually all the way back to the fuel pump. The gas pump is pumping gas around in a circle, and the FPR is restricting the flow, causing back pressure. It's as simple as that.

Hold the phone... do you have an adjustable FPR??? If so, this is your problem. You probably have an adjustable FPR and no fuc*ing pressure guage. Gawd!!!

Let me know and we'll go from here. This is unbelievable...

Am I boring you?

Old 11-17-2002, 11:15 PM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

...Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the fuel go from the fuel filter, into the FPR, through the fuel rail, a portion goes into the injectors (4), and the rest goes OUT the rail? Am I correct? I"m not too sure myself but I heard it goes OUT the rail as well...

Look, the gasoline goes around in a circle. It goes from the fuel tank to the rail and back to the gas tank again. The FPR, so called, is nothing but a restrictor. It restricts the flow of the fuel back to the gas tank. In doing so, fuel pressure builds in the fuel rail; actually all the way back to the fuel pump. The gas pump is pumping gas around in a circle, and the FPR is restricting the flow, causing back pressure. It's as simple as that.

Hold the phone... do you have an adjustable FPR??? If so, this is your problem. You probably have an adjustable FPR and no fuc*ing pressure guage. Gawd!!!

Am I boring you?
reading BDC's posts has to be the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:17 AM

Default Re: How do I clean this? (slow ej6)

reading BDC's posts has to be the best thing since sliced bread.

With butter!

Am I boring you?
Uh..that's why I'm asking people isn't it? Why in the world woud I ask something, over the "internet" if I knew the asnwer?