Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How do city lights work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do city lights work?

I have some black housing headlights which also have the 'bluish' tinted lenses...anyway, i have some ultrawhite bulbs in there as well at turnsignals...I'm kinda tired of that white style...and want some amber or 'golden' colored bulbs...

I have seen some race cars with the yellow headlights... (either yellow lenses or bulbs, i'm not sure) But i think it's looks pretty nice...

I saw at the www.rsversion.com website that there are some 'city lights' for sale.. $12.... is it a kit or what? 'city lights are like courtesy lights correct? Kinda like driving lights?

Does anyone have these on their car? What is the setup like?

Old 10-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do city lights work? (sivik2nr)

thats PK's civic, the headlights arent on but the city lights are, city lights are just small lights that illuminate the housing, if u look at preludes they have them, they are 12 dollars becasue they are about the size of a penny, they are hooked up to the driving lights....while the turn signal stays connected

[Modified by Hyjnx, 9:05 PM 10/8/2002]
Old 10-08-2002, 04:51 PM

Default Re: How do city lights work? (Hyjnx)

sorry , but the pics don't seem to be working...
Old 11-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do city lights work? (Hyjnx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hyjnx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats PK's civic, the headlights arent on but the city lights are, city lights are just small lights that illuminate the housing, if u look at preludes they have them, they are 12 dollars becasue they are about the size of a penny, they are hooked up to the driving lights....while the turn signal stays connected

[Modified by Hyjnx, 9:05 PM 10/8/2002]</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you wire up the city lights like that? i'm guessing they're wired up so that they turn on whenever the car is on? i want to do mine like that, instead of wirig them up so that they turn on with the parking lights, like most people do.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:21 PM
u0f

set it up so that the parking lights are only used as blinkers, and whenever you turn on the parking lights the city lights come on instead. jdm style y0!~
Old 11-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

City lights are from European cars. In Europe, your actual headlights arent allowed to be on at certain times. The city lights are just as they sound, lights for the city.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Re: How do city lights work? (97civicdx)

That's a genious idea, I'm sick of being blinded by HIDs and lifted trucks around town.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do city lights work? (TorganFM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TorganFM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's a genious idea, I'm sick of being blinded by HIDs and lifted trucks around town.</TD></TR></TABLE>

amen
Old 11-09-2003, 02:56 PM
NrG

Default Re: How do city lights work? (97civicdx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civicdx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">City lights are from European cars. In Europe, your actual headlights arent allowed to be on at certain times. The city lights are just as they sound, lights for the city. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually they originated from JAPAN. In japan the city is so bright from all the street light, store lights, neon signs, etc. that you can just drive around with your city lights on. It's just basicly running lights inside your headlight housing.. nothing special.
My car comes with them stock.. All lexus has them stock since 1992.
Although they're pretty much useless in the U S of A
Old 11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive always thought that city lights were just white marker lights in the headlights b/c amber marker lights arent allowed in the EU or japan.

here are yellow citylights in my stock headlights

Old 11-09-2003, 03:05 PM

Default Re: How do city lights work? (TorganFM)

AMEN TO THAT... I get blinded almost every night
Old 11-09-2003, 03:08 PM

They might be useless but I think they still look pretty damn cool
Old 11-09-2003, 03:09 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (Wicker Man)

Anyone else notice that this thread is over a year old?
Old 11-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone else notice that this thread is over a year old?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, yea, i just noticed that too
Old 11-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone else notice that this thread is over a year old?</TD></TR></TABLE>

because some people actually search (me ).

anyway, so no one here knows how to wire up the city lights to turn on with the car? someone's gotta have done this...
Old 11-09-2003, 10:24 PM
NrG

Default Re: (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

because some people actually search (me ).

anyway, so no one here knows how to wire up the city lights to turn on with the car? someone's gotta have done this...</TD></TR></TABLE>

to your parking lights..
Old 11-10-2003, 07:15 PM

Go to that link up top where the originator said he found the 'city lights' and it has a for them on the website
Old 11-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Me and my friends Si's with genuine CTR headlamps...

Old 11-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you hook those up to a EG? there is no hole for them do you have to drill a hole in the housing?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (highperboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highperboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do you hook those up to a EG? there is no hole for them do you have to drill a hole in the housing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My purple city lights. (no functional use for them other than for ***** and giggles.)

On the corners I used a universal city light kit. You can find a pair at Pep Boys for like $12 or so. For the headlights I used an H4 City Light kit. Refer to the pics below. The ring goes on the base of the H4 or 9003 bulb. See those tabs on the ring? They match up with the tabs on the base of the bulb. The wires from the city lights go through the holes on the base of the H4 or 9003 bulb.

You don't have to drill if you use that H4 City Light kit. Those kits are different from the JDM housing City Lights. I'm not a JDM expert but I believe there is an extra socket in the Japanese headlight housing to accomodate an extra bulb, similar to the newer Preludes.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive always thought that city lights were just white marker lights in the headlights b/c amber marker lights arent allowed in the EU or japan.

here are yellow citylights in my stock headlights

</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow i cant find yellow city lights for my headlights where can i get some?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Default Re: (egturbo)

ok let me clear this up a lil.....city lights are used in japan because as a custom to other drivers when you get to a red light you turn your low beams off and your city lights come on not to blind on coming traffic.
i was stationed in japan fir yearsr and now i have a habit of doing that at lights here stateside.....
Old 11-12-2003, 01:12 AM
NrG

Default Re: (ecko_rican)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ecko_rican &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok let me clear this up a lil.....city lights are used in japan because as a custom to other drivers when you get to a red light you turn your low beams off and your city lights come on not to blind on coming traffic.
i was stationed in japan fir yearsr and now i have a habit of doing that at lights here stateside.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont understand.. are headlights in japan just not aim right?
i never get blinded while waiting at a red light.. unless its a raised truck, or some ricer with hid aimed wrong..
Old 11-12-2003, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: (NrG)

The correct term is "courtesy light." And in Japan, I'm under the impression that everyone is for the most part "courteous"!
Old 11-12-2003, 02:14 AM

i have a 00civic.. put in some jdm ctr lights.. it has an extra socket. anyhow, like others, i got a socekt, wired the parking light to it. pretty nifty cuz u got ur parking lights as citylights, and when u put on ur headlights.. ur corners are not lit.. they only light up bright when u signal.

Quick Reply: How do city lights work?