Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how come people(mechanics) are not careful?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how come people(mechanics) are not careful?

ever since the discovery of CL mechanics, my car has been molested by many mechanic's hands. i wrote down a few list of what happened, and i did not like at all and some got me real pissed. these are not in orders,,,,

this one mechanic had me come to his place to do a diagnostic test. knowingly he had a broken parts he still tested on my car? when he did a compression test to my car, [freak]head put one of the sparkplug on the radiator and it gives marks! why did he have to do that!?? is he trying to damage my radiator? and he didn't even let the car cool down, he went ahead and unplug the splugs while the car is hot! aren't you supposed to let it cool down? when he was checking out my car, he put his whole body pressure on my air filter cabinet, it looked like it was going to break, or fall! i still have marks on my radiator til now. first he put silicon on and left it on top of radi and have me start the engine. what a [freak]head.

now this one is my long time mechanic. i did not find him off of craigs. i had him install an a/c fan and he busted up one of the foam on the a/c hose. you know that black foam thing? what could he have done to prevent it? was that necessary?

whenever i work on my car i'am so careful. i know the sad truth is some people just don't give a **** about others. that's why i wished i know how to fix everything. but it ain't gonna work that way. there's a lot more that had happen but this was just so recent and it bugs me a lot. thanks to a forum like this. i get to let it out on some of the CL mechanics too.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (G2_Fella)

i cant beleave u let him do all that!!it really pisses me off when people molest my car.id just swing at the *****%*&^*!!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (esean93)

well sadly you answered your own question...some people just dont seem to give a **** and thats life i guess....it sucks when you take your car in for some repairs and it comes out with something else wrong when you didnt even touch the damn thing...sorry to hear about what happened to you, but now i bet you'll think twice about who you bring your car too ...thats the risk we take everytime the car goes into a random place thats why i do EVERYTHING on my own car now...i know some people arent car-friendly enough to do that, but trial and error..id rather break my own **** than have someone else break it ya know?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (esean93)

oh, that first mechanic that i talked about,,, he had his wife drives him around to customer's house because he had a DUI. i went there because it was half- priced. **** really do look like a drunk though. i still don't understand why he put that fresh slilicon plug on my radiator? what was he thinking?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol well he was probably drunk and didnt know what he was thinking(didnt mean to laugh but he probably was drunk)
Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Learn to work on your own car... problem solved.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (vtecb18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecb18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol well he was probably drunk and didnt know what he was thinking(didnt mean to laugh but he probably was drunk)</TD></TR></TABLE>

he was the **** that pin pointed the fuel pump to the CEL.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NACvicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Learn to work on your own car... problem solved. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm trying to. where was i when i was in my teens or 20's? early 30's and never too late?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G2_Fella)

ur brains still the same as it was before so u can still learn.its never late for anything.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ever since the discovery of CL mechanics, my car has been molested by many mechanic's hands. i wrote down a few list of what happened, and i did not like at all and some got me real pissed. these are not in orders,,,,

this one mechanic had me come to his place to do a diagnostic test. knowingly he had a broken parts he still tested on my car? when he did a compression test to my car, [freak]head put one of the sparkplug on the radiator and it gives marks! why did he have to do that!?? is he trying to damage my radiator? and he didn't even let the car cool down, he went ahead and unplug the splugs while the car is hot! aren't you supposed to let it cool down? when he was checking out my car, he put his whole body pressure on my air filter cabinet, it looked like it was going to break, or fall! i still have marks on my radiator til now. first he put silicon on and left it on top of radi and have me start the engine. what a [freak]head.

now this one is my long time mechanic. i did not find him off of craigs. i had him install an a/c fan and he busted up one of the foam on the a/c hose. you know that black foam thing? what could he have done to prevent it? was that necessary?

whenever i work on my car i'am so careful. i know the sad truth is some people just don't give a **** about others. that's why i wished i know how to fix everything. but it ain't gonna work that way. there's a lot more that had happen but this was just so recent and it bugs me a lot. thanks to a forum like this. i get to let it out on some of the CL mechanics too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you look for cheap mechanics on cl then you will find dudes who [freak] up your car, why are you bitching? cheap labor = cheap labor.
(also i have been known to lean on airboxes to reach sparkplugs on v8s and have never had a problem )
Old 08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (eg6sirll)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6sirll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you look for cheap mechanics on cl then you will find dudes who [freak] up your car, why are you bitching? cheap labor = cheap labor.
(also i have been known to lean on airboxes to reach sparkplugs on v8s and have never had a problem )
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i cannot argue with you on that, it's a cruel world.

my v4 is small though? it is sensitive.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (esean93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esean93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur brains still the same as it was before so u can still learn.its never late for anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll take your words for it.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda sux when it seems like your paying them to ruin your car. I'd say ask them striaght up why they did this and that. I usully do and my mechinic always have an explantion. But one time when i went to check on my car at night at the shop and the door was unlock and i was **** as hell. I told my mechinic that if someone broke in and stole something, his shop is going to replace it or it's court time.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (halocore)

Wow, I'm totally confused. V4, what is that? First you said he put your spark plug on your radiator then you said fresh silicon plug on your radiator. Which one did he put on your radiator and how did it leave marks on the radiator?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (halocore)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by halocore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kinda sux when it seems like your paying them to ruin your car. I'd say ask them striaght up why they did this and that. I usully do and my mechinic always have an explantion. But one time when i went to check on my car at night at the shop and the door was unlock and i was **** as hell. I told my mechinic that if someone broke in and stole something, his shop is going to replace it or it's court time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it sucks being too nice. i'm just the type of person that doesn't speak up. or scared to question why this, why that.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM

Thats why I prefer doing **** myself to my car. If you not up to the challenge of working on your own car, then have some ***** and learn. That way you don't have to deal with that mechanic **** again, unless you pay top dollar at the dealer, your choice.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how come people(mechanics) are not careful? (EX-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I'm totally confused. V4, what is that? First you said he put your spark plug on your radiator then you said fresh silicon plug on your radiator. Which one did he put on your radiator and how did it leave marks on the radiator?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i first got there, he unplugged the splugs right away. he then put fresh silicon on one of the plug and left on top of the radiator. then he put the compressor in the hole and had me start the car. of course the car shakes and jump a little bit. and the spark kept bangin on top of the radiator and left some scuff marks. that's a brand new radiator.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mizzoEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mizzoEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats why I prefer doing **** myself to my car. If you not up to the challenge of working on your own car, then have some ***** and learn. That way you don't have to deal with that mechanic **** again, unless you pay top dollar at the dealer, your choice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if i had a dad and a second car for back up, i wouldn't be scared.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:12 PM

you'd be better off doing it yourself with a chilton ,or hayes manual
i'm a diesel mechanic ,but as far as auto mechanics go;especially small shops
try to get over on people that don't know any better , for example an ex-girlfriend called me when i was offshore and said her car was making a funny noise, so her dad looked at it and HE decided to bring it to his mecanic ,the dumba$$ changed the alternator and charged her close to 300 bucks, and it was still making noise
when i got back i looked at it ,turned out her powersteering fluid was low and made the pump whine ,i had to change the return hose bacause it had a slight leak

Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I don't get is why you keep paying these "mechanics" to work on your car...with car repair you pretty much get what you pay for, sure there are exceptions...there are some real jackasses that work at dealerships and some really good guys that work under a tree.

The best way (in my opinion), is to go by word of mouth...a mechanic can say he's the best all day long, but it's the customer who is the judge at the end of the day. If they're satisfied, they tell people...if they're not satisfied, they'll tell more people.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh, that first mechanic that i talked about,,, he had his wife drives him around to customer's house because he had a DUI. i went there because it was half- priced. **** really do look like a drunk though. i still don't understand why he put that fresh slilicon plug on my radiator? what was he thinking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If a guy is being dropped off to fix cars because he has a DUI, then common sense tells you that that's a bad idea. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but quit being cheap or quit complaining.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JKov240)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I don't get is why you keep paying these "mechanics" to work on your car...with car repair you pretty much get what you pay for, sure there are exceptions...there are some real jackasses that work at dealerships and some really good guys that work under a tree.

The best way (in my opinion), is to go by word of mouth...a mechanic can say he's the best all day long, but it's the customer who is the judge at the end of the day. If they're satisfied, they tell people...if they're not satisfied, they'll tell more people.

If a guy is being dropped off to fix cars because he has a DUI, then common sense tells you that that's a bad idea. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but quit being cheap or quit complaining. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i had the "word of mouth" mechanic for a while. i found out that his prices were higher than some of the CL mechanics. CL mechs are risky, but someone gotta risk it. it's not that i'm trying to be cheap, i just can't afford to have my arms and legs pulled.

i did not find out later til we had a little talk after the diagnose. if i had known, i would not waste my gas to go see his drunk ***.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if i had a dad and a second car for back up, i wouldn't be scared.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My dad doesn't have anything to do with my interest and knowledge in cars, he's actually kind of against it. Plus my ride is my only one as well.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can't afford to have your car fixed properly when it's broken then you shouldn't be driving.

Plus, that's a pretty big risk...so, you're willing to save say $200 by going to a craigslist mechanic who MIGHT fix your car and who also MIGHT give it more issues, thus costing more money.......why not just go to the legit, well-respected mechanic in the first place?

Let me guess, it costs more? I'd rather pay more up front for a known good thing as opposed to paying less for a maybe, just my .02 though.

Chances are you'll spend more money when you're trying to "save" money by going to the cheap guy...I work at an independent import auto repair shop (not dealership) and I see this kind of stuff all the time from customers. They take their car to Joe Blow down the road because he fixed so and so's car for cheap, so they went there and he tossed some crappy Taiwanese/Chinese Autozone part on it and it either went out later or caused more issues.

If you're going to do something, do it right......the first time.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i know what your saying. That's why i try to do majority of the work myself.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cannot argue with you on that, it's a cruel world.

my v4 is small though? it is sensitive. </TD></TR></TABLE>
You have a V4?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I'm totally confused. V4, what is that? First you said he put your spark plug on your radiator then you said fresh silicon plug on your radiator. Which one did he put on your radiator and how did it leave marks on the radiator?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well, V4s exist, but they're mostly motorcycle engines from what I recall.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the "word of mouth" mechanic for a while. i found out that his prices were higher than some of the CL mechanics. CL mechs are risky, but someone gotta risk it. it's not that i'm trying to be cheap, i just can't afford to have my arms and legs pulled.

i did not find out later til we had a little talk after the diagnose. if i had known, i would not waste my gas to go see his drunk ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>
IF you get a "word of mouth" mechanic, try to get one that's suggested by several good people or maybe try asking at a parts store. Parts store associates just can't name anyone because it can come back to them on the job and they can get in a lot of trouble.

I know Autozone is working on getting a suggestion list for all local stores. I don't know if your local store might already have this in effect.

My dad is over 3,000 miles away and while I could borrow my boyfriend's car, our schedules are often just too different to use one car for more than a couple days.

Quick Reply: how come people(mechanics) are not careful?