Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How come motors have no vin #s?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come motors have no vin #s?

When i look through all these "engine bay" posts or just a "photoshoot" of somebody's car, 90% of the hybrids have the engine VIN #s ripped out! Just curious as to why, would appreciate some feedback.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:19 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: How come motors have no vin #s? (1.8 HB)

What good is having a VIN on the engine going to do when it's a hybrid?
Old 11-28-2003, 09:21 AM

VIN on the motor does no good anyways since they are so easily removed. Keep track of the number stamped on your motor in case it disappears. That number will always be there.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no VIN #'s on JDM motors.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Re: How come motors have no vin #s? (dwnthehatch)

So if you are buying a USDM motor how would you know your buying a LEGIT motor if the VIN is ripped out?

And even if the there is no use of the VIN on the block, i still don't see why go out of your way and rip it off?

And when buying a motor, when receiving documentation for it, it lists the VIN of the car it came out of, so you would need the VIN to be on the motor in case you need to prove yourself, be it to cops or if selling the motor down the road.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:31 AM

I don't know why most people take the vin off the motor. I know a lot of people who do swaps just take it off to avoid confusion. Some insurance companies request the stamped number for their records and a few dealers kept track of them in the computer when the cars were new.

When a JDM motor comes through customs they are supposed to keep a record of the number also but nearly impossible to trace. So theoreticaly, if you had a stolen motor, removed the VIN, and told the cop it was a JDM motor, they wuold have to track all the customs records from the shipyards to not find that number to prove it was stolen. Unless an insurance company or the dealership recorded it.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (TwistedSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">VIN on the motor does no good anyways since they are so easily removed. Keep track of the number stamped on your motor in case it disappears. That number will always be there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that stamped number DOES NOTHING!!!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 AM

Default Re: (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that stamped number DOES NOTHING!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except for the fact that if your motor is stolen it will probably end up in another car somewhere. The stamped number can't just be removed so it is like a fingerprint for your motor. If you happen to be at the track and you spot your motor in another car you can be sure it is yours.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 AM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The stamped number can't just be removed so it is like a fingerprint for your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sure it can, just grind/file/scratch it off.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sure it can, just grind/file/scratch it off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And thats like putting a sign on your motor that says "Hi, I'm stolen but you can't tell cause I filed off my numbers."
Old 11-28-2003, 10:11 AM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And thats like putting a sign on your motor that says "Hi, I'm stolen but you can't tell cause I filed off my numbers."</TD></TR></TABLE>
But then nobody knows where it came from, or if it is even stolen at all.

If you buy a bare block from Honda, there is no stamp on it. No engine code, no serial number, nothing.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:19 AM

Default Re: (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But then nobody knows where it came from, or if it is even stolen at all.

If you buy a bare block from Honda, there is no stamp on it. No engine code, no serial number, nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what you are trying to say but how many people do you know who would go buy a bare block from Honda when there are so many used ones available. And having no stamp is different from having the numbers grinded off. Its just asking to be questioned and not trusted. I know if I saw a motor with the numbers grinded off I would consider it stolen.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what you are trying to say but how many people do you know who would go buy a bare block from Honda when there are so many used ones available. And having no stamp is different from having the numbers grinded off. Its just asking to be questioned and not trusted. I know if I saw a motor with the numbers grinded off I would consider it stolen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know people who want to do quality swaps that buy b18c5 blocks brand new from honda

errr...ACURA im sorry. i remember i asked a honda dealership how much a c5 block would be...they told me to go to acura
Old 11-28-2003, 12:19 PM
be professional

I know what you are trying to say but how many people do you know who would go buy a bare block from Honda when there are so many used ones available. And having no stamp is different from having the numbers grinded off. Its just asking to be questioned and not trusted. I know if I saw a motor with the numbers grinded off I would consider it stolen.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I always wanted to grind off my engine code and stamp something else in there, like "vTak y0!"
Old 11-28-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only 96+ engines have vins on them.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not too hard to cover up grinded-off numbers. just like aluminum wheel repair; add aluminum to the block and shave it off, making it even with the rest of the block. you can do it so no one will ever tell the difference.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:49 PM

im confused... so which number tells you if the motor is stolen or not??? the one stamped below the engine code??? for example if i was going to buy a swap and wanted to check if it was stolen first what number would i look for??
Old 11-28-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (BoostedCivicSedan)

Seems like a lot of you are missing the point of this whole post. The way i see it is, whoever owns a motor with the VIN ripped off, it's a stolen motor. There is absolutely no reason to take the VIN if you have nothing to hide. And don't give me this bullshit that people take it off to avoid confusion. That's probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

Secondly if you shave your serial number, it can still be brought back.

And 96+ motors AREN'T the only ones that came with VINs. Older motors had them too, example: my '94 GSR motor had one, it wasn't a vin put in with rivets, but it was a sticker type.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how can u tell if the engine block code number is ment for the the vin number?

cause i saw a gsr block and the vin number was from thier sohc engine and the bolts on the vin number were phillp screws so i think they changed it.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:53 PM

Default Re: (stock93cx)

Yes that vin is definetly changed, so basically they know they had a stolen motor so they covered it up with a clean vin.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (1.8 HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.8 HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes that vin is definetly changed, so basically they know they had a stolen motor so they covered it up with a clean vin.</TD></TR></TABLE>
haha i second that...thats kinda dumb
Old 11-28-2003, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1 out of 2 cars have been stolen so your chances of having a stolen motor a very likely so even if you engine was not a stolen and long and behold the car gets jacked 2 years later what happens to the vin that still on the engine? fair to say cover your *** becasue those cops dont like us and will do anything in there power to take anything away from us even if it is legit.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allmtrwhore2)

even if u scratch or file the number off the block they can still get the number back with that acid thing my friend's dad is a cop and thats what he said
Old 11-28-2003, 09:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.8 HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And 96+ motors AREN'T the only ones that came with VINs. Older motors had them too, example: my '94 GSR motor had one, it wasn't a vin put in with rivets, but it was a sticker type.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ONLY 96+ engine have vin numbers on the motors.

that was not a vin number, vins are always stamped into everything. what you had was a PART number just like the decal on your ECU.

if that was the case then everyone selling stolen motors would just say the sticker "fell off" ,but its legit i swear!

Old 11-28-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (stock93cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how can u tell if the engine block code number is ment for the the vin number?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you have the vin number, any honda dealer can tell the serial number of the original engine. (for Hondas anyway)

Quick Reply: How come motors have no vin #s?