Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How To: Change Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Change Spark Plugs

Ok so this is obviously something easy to do and i don't know if it's been done on this site before. However i had to create a set of instructions on how to do something for my Science and Tech writing class. I figured this would be the best place for revision.

Feedback on how to make this better would help. I don't need to hear flames on this one. If it helps people on the forums to do this themselves "even better"

Tools needed: 1. Socket Wrench (torque wrench recommended), 2. 13/16s or 5/8s deep socket (spark plug socket recommended because it is fitted with a rubber insert that holds the spark plug), 3. Spark plug gaping tool, 4. Socket extension/s, 5. and the spark plugs themselves.

1. Buy new plugs from any auto parts store. Get a service/repair manual before you start any of your own work on your vehicle, this can also be bought at any auto parts store.
2. Make sure your engine is off and cool before you start. (A warm engine can cause the spark plugs to not seat properly)
3. Pop your hood and locate the engine.

4. Make sure the gap on the new spark plugs is right before you install them. (The gap size can be found on the box of the spark plugs or in your service/repair manual) To do this you take your gaping tool and find the correct size for the gap between the two electrodes. (The gap should not be larger/smaller than this size)

5. Locate the spark plug wires. These wires will equal the amount of cylinders your car has. (Right above red dots)

6. Take one spark plug wire off one plug by grabbing the spark plug wire boot and not the wire itself, or use a spark plug wire puller. (doing just one plug at a time helps you keep from cross wiring and causing your engine to run incorrectly)

When pulled it will look like this, and the top of the spark plug will be exposed

7. Make sure there is no dirt and/or oil around the spark plug. (This is done to keep impurities out of the cylinder)
8. With the proper tools remove the spark plug by turning it counter-clockwise. (For this vehicle the, tools used were the socket wrench, 5 inch extension, and a 5/8s spark plug socket)

The spark plug will come out looking like this.

9. Replace the old spark plug by inserting a new spark plug into the spark plug socket.
10. Place the new plug into the cylinder and tighten by hand in a clockwise direction until snug. (Warning do not use the socket wrench to get it snug)

11. Once tightened by hand use a torque wrench (recommended), for tightening to the spark plugs to the proper ft/lb specifications given in the manual or on the box of the spark plugs. If you do not have a torque wrench, specifications on how much of a full rotation (360 degrees) should be given in the manual or on the box of the spark plugs.
12. Connect the spark plug wire back to the installed spark plug by applying pressure until you feel/hear the wire snap on to the top of the spark plug.

13. Follow steps 3 through 12 until all of the cylinders have been replaced.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (dogbiscuit)

Thank God. I thought you were asking for help on changing the plugs . Good writeup though .

-Red
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (nitrared)

Good job sir.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should make this a sticky.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (meanTheDope)

nice lil write up. i give it
Old 11-02-2005, 07:12 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FERIOkid)

Derserves an A,
Old 11-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dogbiscuit)

Nice write-up
MadtownSi you're an idiot. You've been here since 2000 and you still haven't learned to read the entire post.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogbiscuit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3. Pop your hood and locate the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This just makes me laugh....
Old 11-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (litterbox)

Good write up. Great for people are who are just getting started!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well its supposed to be for complete dummies thats why we added the "pop your hood" thing
Old 11-02-2005, 07:47 AM

nice write up not everyone knows how do there own work on there whips
Old 11-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (b16a2rida)

best part locate the engine lol
Old 11-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I told you to wait in the truck in Texas, United States
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RE:7. Make sure there is no dirt and/or oil around the spark plug.
(This is done to keep impurities out of the cylinder)

I always use compressed air and a long blower nozzle
to remove any debris that might be at the base of the plug..

Also using an Anti-seize compound on the threads of the plugs is a
good idea...

Nice write-up..
Old 11-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i only had to have 12 steps and i didn't feel like explaining anti sieze or how to use a air compressor so i opted not to include that. (yes my professor would have made me explain a compressor or other methods of removing the sh*t)
Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 AM

No applying anti-seize on the threads of the spark plug?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (deadlock32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadlock32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No applying anti-seize on the threads of the spark plug? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? I never have. Just crank the living **** outta it, hoping to strip the threads. J/k I've never had a hand-tightened bolt strip the threads or come loose, but I do know of others who have destroyed ITR heads w/stripping and caused fires with loose plugs. There's also the fact that most thread compounds degrade after about 500F, and the ones that don't are hard to get cheaply.

Otherwise... for write up, for me wasting time on something I know
Old 11-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

for me wasting time on something I know </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this persons reply going to be deleted too?? He basically said the same thing I did but just in a different way. So if I’m going to be censored then HiProfile should also be censored.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (MadtownSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadtownSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is this persons reply going to be deleted too?? He basically said the same thing I did but just in a different way. So if I’m going to be censored then HiProfile should also be censored. </TD></TR></TABLE>Well he actually replied to a question regarding this topic. You said this is a waste of everyone's time and that someone that doesn't know how to do a simple job like this shouldn't work on their car because they're retarded. Clearly, there was a difference. Everyone starts somewhere man. Even a high powered 2000member like yourself.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought u were gonna ask how to do it....

good write up, ill make sure to show this to my little brother

haha. nice write up
Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: (JDM00SI)

now i can have my 10 year old sister change the plugs in my car while i make a samich...

good write up
Old 11-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well he actually replied to a question regarding this topic. You said this is a waste of everyone's time and that someone that doesn't know how to do a simple job like this shouldn't work on their car because they're retarded. Clearly, there was a difference. Everyone starts somewhere man. Even a high powered 2000member like yourself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said ANYONE was retareded. So stop posting crap I did not say!!

BTW, threads like this have been locked in the past because the info could be found doing a search. So why is this thread being treated differently then others in the past??

Old 11-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (MadtownSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadtownSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I never said ANYONE was retareded. So stop posting crap I did not say!!

BTW, threads like this have been locked in the past because the info could be found doing a search. So why is this thread being treated differently then others in the past??

</TD></TR></TABLE>Dude. You said anyone who needs this should not work on their car in the first place. WTF is that?

Second, a writeup will never get locked. Threads where they're ASKING how to do this will get locked. But a thread where someone takes a couple hours of their time to make this for the other users will NEVER get locked. Are you ******* kidding me? This is what makes HT, HONDA-TECH.

Threads get ruined because of ppl like you. Who argue or post retarded **** and drag others into it. So i'm done. Call me a moron, *** or whatever. This is a pre-emptive expletive you.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't trust even torque wrenches on the spark plugs., you can strip the threads so easy on the spark plug/head... what i do is hand tighten it, then give it about 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn and make sure it's tight
Old 11-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write up!

I've got one more tip that I usually do, I'm not sure if it does anything but logically it makes sense.

I make a mark on each spark plug where the opening is, then when I put them in, I aim the opening toward the exhaust ports on each plug. I figure directing the spark toward the exhaust ports might help somehow.

I highly doubt this does anything, but it just makes me feel satisfied because for some reason I think i'm doing it the most masterful way lol.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (_gurusan_)

i read somewhere that facing them toward the exhaust ports help, i dunno how it can help tho.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How To: Change Spark Plugs (93egsedan)

awesome write-up.

this should be handed out to high school auto classes through out the u.s. of a.

Quick Reply: How To: Change Spark Plugs