Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how can i tell if a transmission is LSD equipped by just looking at it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can i tell if a transmission is LSD equipped by just looking at it?

so i have my s80 tranny here and i just got my clutch so i can finally swap tha bad boy in. now when i bought it, it came off a fresh 98 ITR with lsd that JUST got to the US maybe 2 days prior of me pulling the tranny. drove the itr and the tranny felt really good, nearly wanted to cry bc of how good it was compared to my broke down si tranny.

anyways, as i was uncovering the tranny in my garage i examine it to admire it, and noticed that it isn't stamped anywhere that its LSD equipped. i read somewhere that by looking into it where the shafts go and you can tell like that. anyone know and can tell me. i paid top dollar for this tranny bc its the all mighty 98 spec.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: how can i tell if a transmission is LSD equipped by just looking at it? (unsungfate)

look through the diff, see a spider gear?

not LSD

don't see a spider gear? = LSD
Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how can i tell if a transmission is LSD equipped by just looking at it? (unsungfate)

I dont really know besides seeing the stamp but after you get it in you should spin one wheel and the other one should spin the same way. a traditonal spider gear set up will spin oppisite directions.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can i tell if a transmission is LSD equipped by just looking at it? (i drive a honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i drive a honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look through the diff, see a spider gear?

not LSD

don't see a spider gear? = LSD </TD></TR></TABLE>

can you give me an quick explanation of what a spider gear looks like?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unsungfate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

can you give me an quick explanation of what a spider gear looks like? </TD></TR></TABLE>

very very very basic explantion ( probably start an E-ARGUMENT with some dumbass)

its gear, with a bar going across,.

pretend you have your gear and you are measuring the diameter of that gear with a 1/2" mild steel dowel. now press that dowel into that gear.

looks like a NO sign.

lol
Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: how can i tell if a transmission is LSD equipped by just looking at it? (i drive a honda)

lol i googled spider gear......... this is what came up. no ****.

on a honda no less too

Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what if i took a picture? would that be better? with that explanation, im lsd equipped but not sure hold on brb.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i drive a honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol i googled spider gear......... this is what came up. no ****.

on a honda no less too

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank You i drive honda. i just took the picture and it doesn't have the bar through it! straight through like the lsd one..

Im LSD equipped babi. i fing excited to hell now, like the day i bought the tranny! haha.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 AM

so which is it? bar or no bar. picture is saying bar = non-lsd... im lost
Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is a bar theres not an LSD.

Its not uncommon for the LSD stamp to come off, simple green or engine degreaser takes the stamps right off.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OMGWTFBBQ!)

good info