Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How can I change rotors in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I change rotors in my car?

I never changed rotors or brake pads in my 00 civic EX. I did search and I found link but pictures don't work. Could you guys help me out?
here is link that I found https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=799406
Old 10-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (Jaydeep)

Take the cap off the fluid

Get a large C clamp and clamp down on the caliper to push the piston all the way in.

There will be 2 bolts on the back side of the caliper. Remove them, and take that half of the claiper off.

There will be 2 more bolts for the backing plate, remove them as well (may not be necessary, I'm drawing a blank without looking at them.) Replace the pads (may need some encouragement to get them out with a hammer).

There will be a screw holding the rotor on, you need a manual impact screwdriver to remove these. Get some screw outs while you're at the store for the impact, because I always end up needing to drill at least one out.

Then slide the rotor off. It's probably rusted on, so get out a big sledge and start hammering away until it comes off. There may be a threaded hole that you can put a bolt into and crank down on to break the rotor loose; mine was supposed to have them, but didn't. Lube the hub with grease so it won't happen next time.

Install is reverse. Don't worry about those screws that you had trouble taking off, they're just on there to hold the rotors on while the car is on the assembly line. Make sure everything is torqued, put reservoir cover back on, pump brakes a few times, and you're ready to go.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take the cap off the fluid

Get a large C clamp and clamp down on the caliper to push the piston all the way in.

There will be 2 bolts on the back side of the caliper. Remove them, and take that half of the claiper off.

There will be 2 more bolts for the backing plate, remove them as well (may not be necessary, I'm drawing a blank without looking at them.) Replace the pads (may need some encouragement to get them out with a hammer).

There will be a screw holding the rotor on, you need a manual impact screwdriver to remove these. Get some screw outs while you're at the store for the impact, because I always end up needing to drill at least one out.

Then slide the rotor off. It's probably rusted on, so get out a big sledge and start hammering away until it comes off. There may be a threaded hole that you can put a bolt into and crank down on to break the rotor loose; mine was supposed to have them, but didn't. Lube the hub with grease so it won't happen next time.

Install is reverse. Don't worry about those screws that you had trouble taking off, they're just on there to hold the rotors on while the car is on the assembly line. Make sure everything is torqued, put reservoir cover back on, pump brakes a few times, and you're ready to go.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man
I don't have C clamp. DO I really need one? If yes where can I get that? Autozone?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaydeep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks man
I don't have C clamp. DO I really need one? If yes where can I get that? Autozone?</TD></TR></TABLE>
ANy hardware store like Home Depot.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (99FBPSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99FBPSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ANy hardware store like Home Depot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do I really need one? Because I think my friend did on his car without using any C clamp.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

YES you need some sort of clamp to press your piston in the caliper back to fit the new pads and fit back on the rotor...how he did it without one i don't know...unless he drove his car to the point where there wasn't any pads left then he wouldn't have needed one
Old 10-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (civicboisi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YES you need some sort of clamp to press your piston in the caliper back to fit the new pads and fit back on the rotor...how he did it without one i don't know...unless he drove his car to the point where there wasn't any pads left then he wouldn't have needed one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where do I put clamp?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaydeep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do I really need one? Because I think my friend did on his car without using any C clamp. </TD></TR></TABLE>
You could use a large set of channel-locks or vice-grips if you don't have a C-clamp.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You could use a large set of channel-locks or vice-grips if you don't have a C-clamp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats strange. I loosen the bolt that leads the fluid to you calipers and then push the calipers if with my hands, then tightened the bolt again. And bleed the system afterwards. No C-clamp for me.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:20 AM
be professional

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (Br1anPham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats strange. I loosen the bolt that leads the fluid to you calipers and then push the calipers if with my hands, then tightened the bolt again. And bleed the system afterwards. No C-clamp for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
But then you have to bleed it. Screw that, especially if you have to change pads at every track event.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But then you have to bleed it. Screw that, especially if you have to change pads at every track event.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, PITA... just get a clamp. You can either put it on each side of the caliper while it's on the car and clamp, or when you get the caliper off, put one side on the outer part, the other on the circular piston inside to push it back into the housing. It should be really clear when you're in there.

Old 10-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"Don't worry about those screws that you had trouble taking off, they're just on there to hold the rotors on while the car is on the assembly line."

I can't believe that you are advising someone to do that. They have set screws for a reason and I've never once hear nor read from any honda manual, all data, or mitchell on demand that you should do that. Make sure you put the set screws back on the same way you took them off or your rotors could not seat right when you you put the wheels back on and cause other things to go out as well. I've seen more than a few cars with horrible sqeaking brakes and grinding all because they didn't put a set screw back in. There's just no reason not to.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (Sh4d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh4d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Don't worry about those screws that you had trouble taking off, they're just on there to hold the rotors on while the car is on the assembly line."

I can't believe that you are advising someone to do that. They have set screws for a reason and I've never once hear nor read from any honda manual, all data, or mitchell on demand that you should do that. Make sure you put the set screws back on the same way you took them off or your rotors could not seat right when you you put the wheels back on and cause other things to go out as well. I've seen more than a few cars with horrible sqeaking brakes and grinding all because they didn't put a set screw back in. There's just no reason not to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All it does is hold the rotor on when you remove the wheel, which the caliper will do quite nicely. You do NOT need them, when you put the wheel over the rotor and tighten the lugs down... that's the important part.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaydeep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where do I put clamp?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please do some more research and buy a Helms shop book before you attempt something that saves your life.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (Mario BA4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario BA4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Please do some more research and buy a Helms shop book before you attempt something that saves your life.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man but I figure out and I did it. It was really easy.
I never used clamp
Old 10-11-2004, 04:26 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh4d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Don't worry about those screws that you had trouble taking off, they're just on there to hold the rotors on while the car is on the assembly line."

I can't believe that you are advising someone to do that. They have set screws for a reason and I've never once hear nor read from any honda manual, all data, or mitchell on demand that you should do that. Make sure you put the set screws back on the same way you took them off or your rotors could not seat right when you you put the wheels back on and cause other things to go out as well. I've seen more than a few cars with horrible sqeaking brakes and grinding all because they didn't put a set screw back in. There's just no reason not to.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Um, no. Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Rotor screws are used to hold the rotor onto the hub while the car is being assembled. They serve no purpose whatsoever once the wheel is on and all of the lug nuts are torqued down.

I throw away all of the rotor screws on my Civics the first time I remove them. I have never had any problems. The only thing made more difficult by not having rotor screws is changing pads at the track when the rotors are still hot . . .
Old 10-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I do know what I'm talking about. I didn't say they arent made so the floating rotors won't fall off the on the assembly line. I did say there is no good reason not to put them back on. I have not read a manual that says dont put the screws back on. There is just no good reason to not take 10 seconds and screw them back in. As long as your lugs are tightened properly the rotor will never move so leaving them off will not hurt you. But if your wheel became loose would you rather have no screw or the set screws in. Just trying to advise another guy on how to do things as recommened instead of short cuts that mechanics use.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh4d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes I do know what I'm talking about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, wrong answer, thanks for playing, have a great day !!

Old 10-14-2004, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh4d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is just no good reason to not take 10 seconds and screw them back in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, there is; they're a PITA to deal with. I always end up having to drill at least one of the 4 on every civic I've worked on. I don't want to take the chance of that happening while I'm at the track. Your lug nuts hold the rotor in place against the hub.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh4d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But if your wheel became loose would you rather have no screw or the set screws in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your wheel becomes loose enough for the rotor to move, you've got bigger problems than that screw is going to take care of.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I keep my rotors screws on, but then again I also own an impact driver to loosen and tighten them with, so they're never stripped for me.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I keep my rotors screws on, but then again I also own an impact driver to loosen and tighten them with, so they're never stripped for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right tool for the job - who woulda' thunk'it...

But at the end of the day, the rotor screws are NOT needed.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I change rotors in my car? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I keep my rotors screws on, but then again I also own an impact driver to loosen and tighten them with, so they're never stripped for me.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've messed a few up even with my impact, so I always keep my drill handy

Old 10-14-2004, 07:43 AM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've messed a few up even with my impact, so I always keep my drill handy

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah. I actually had two screws that were so seized, they actually twisted the tip right off of the impact driver bit - I couldn't believe it! I hate Phillips heads. If I ever meet Mr. Phillips, they may have to restrain me . . .

I couldn't put rotor screws on my CRX even if I wanted to, unless I got new hub assemblies. A previous owner drilled them to get the rotors off, and left the studs there seized into the hub
Old 10-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh I too had that problem. When I did my rear disc swap, I couldnt take the rotors off to have them resurfaced. When i got my fastbrake rear disc kit I tried again with my impact driver, and no luck. I went and bought a craftsman version and it stripped the phillips head completely. Luckily the screws are made of aluminum (or some other soft metal) that i was able to drill the head off. I have taken a brakes class at a Junior College and one thing i learned is that other mechanics to ***** for work. My teacher is the only person, and my fellow students, that i trust to do brake jobs. Even he said you dont need the screws.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I actually had two screws that were so seized, they actually twisted the tip right off of the impact driver bit - I couldn't believe it! I hate Phillips heads. If I ever meet Mr. Phillips, they may have to restrain me . . .

I couldn't put rotor screws on my CRX even if I wanted to, unless I got new hub assemblies. A previous owner drilled them to get the rotors off, and left the studs there seized into the hub </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice, gotta love the shadetree mechanics

Quick Reply: How can I change rotors in my car?