Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How can I add HP to be D16?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I add HP to be D16?

Hey I have a 99 Honda Civic EX with a d16 SOHC V-Tech and i wanna add more power to it, but I have been told that its not worth it, if so can anyone recommend what i should do to add Hp to my Civic?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (GRAMIREZ5)

Good ******* god. There are 100 of these threads per day.

Search.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its VTEC
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

vtec - there are bolt ons that add horsepower but its just not that noticeable. and yea, in hind site it is alot of money for almost no gains. the best way to get horsepower out of a D series motor is by buying a turbo kit and tuning it. its going to cost a few thousand for a good setup and tune..but in the end you'll be walking STis and Evos
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (beatsperdream)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good ******* god. There are 100 of these threads per day.

Search.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No mercy. It really depends on what you want to do and your budget. In deed search my friend.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spelling: VTEC

If you want small power additions you can do yourself, buy headers (4-2-1 on that engine is best), an exhaust, and a cold-air intake.

If you want significantly more power, buy a turbo kit and get it installed professionally if you don't know what you're doing. That motor should be able to achieve 175 whp on stock internals (and sometimes more), but someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I have seen it done, but I didn't know that guy very well so I don't know if it was reliable or not.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (Probot)

search bro... but turbo is your best way to gain horsepower... you can safely make ~210 whp with a turbo setup and good tune... i'm putting together a homemade turbo kit right now and i'm only gonna end up spending 1500 bucks with a $450 tune... so 1050 total in parts... not bad
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo is worth it, but otherwise, a new engine will yield more potential for you.

What you need to do is think about what project you really need to commit to; turbo SOHC, or DOHC motor?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (beatsperdream)

oops!! My bad sorry I dirent mean any disrespect.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (andoxviii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That motor should be able to achieve 175 whp on stock internals (and sometimes more), but someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I have seen it done, but I didn't know that guy very well so I don't know if it was reliable or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's all in the tune... one of my best friends is running 265 whp on a stock d16y7 for 2 years now... not a single problem except the occasional charge pipe blow off... but t bolts fixed that

it's all in the tune!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo is worth it, but otherwise, a new engine will yield more potential for you.

What you need to do is think about what project you really need to commit to; turbo SOHC, or DOHC motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

but... but... we're saving the sohc remember don't influence a dohc swap.... haha jk guys
Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (94c1v1cex)

Hey bro where can you purchase one of these homemade turbo kits?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you didnt offend anyone - people post that same question endlessly. gets kind of tiresome.

but yea, i recommend the full-race stage 1 gt turbo kit (4 grand) comes with a good garrett ball bearing turbo and equal length header. thermal r&d 3 inch exhaust (500), 440 injectors, better fuel pump, not sure what else im forgetting (if im forgetting anything) and find yourself someone who can tune hondas. on stock internals you'll make anywhere from 210-250 horsepower to the wheels reliably. tuning is most important
Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAMIREZ5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey bro where can you purchase one of these homemade turbo kits?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are on a budget, then consider eBay. The kits themselves aren't too bad, but the turbochargers in the kit are known to be of lower quality (basically, they aren't made by the major brands like Garett, GReddy, etc).

If you aren't on a budget, then go to your local performance shops and get quotes.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

home made as in piece it together yourself.
Set your goal, set your budget and shop accordingly.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94c1v1cex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but... but... we're saving the sohc remember don't influence a dohc swap....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, I'm saving the SOHC. He needs to make a choice on his own.

Search around, dude. It's the big red button in the top right. You can also start with the FAQ's. There's an entire archived thread devoted to swaps for your car, and an entire forum dedicated to forced induction.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (blaze_125)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaze_125 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">home made as in piece it together yourself.
Set your goal, set your budget and shop accordingly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He is asking where he can purchase a homemade turbo kit...do you really think he can go and buy the kit piece by piece? He won't even know what he needs! He'll most likely buy a 14b turbo and a front-mount intercooler, open his hood and be like "Okay, so now how can I attach this turbo to my engine?"

To the OP: Just save yourself the headache and buy a turbo kit. Don't try and piece it together yourself.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (blaze_125)

Yea thats what i figured? Well I guess I have a lot of research to do, Thanks everyone all your input was very helpfull!!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. Do your homework, you can never do too much research.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How can I add HP to be D16? (andoxviii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He is asking where he can purchase a homemade turbo kit...do you really think he can go and buy the kit piece by piece? He won't even know what he needs! He'll most likely buy a 14b turbo and a front-mount intercooler, open his hood and be like "Okay, so now how can I attach this turbo to my engine?"

To the OP: Just save yourself the headache and buy a turbo kit. Don't try and piece it together yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

euh.... what?
I think that's why we tell people to do their research. So they know what they have to buy.

If he goes out and buys a prebuilt kit, sure he'll have a "safe" setup, but he'll end up paying twice as much. If he does a little research he'll save a bunch of $$$ and he'll know alot more about cars than if he would have simply settled for a pre built kit.

His question was
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAMIREZ5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey bro where can you purchase one of these homemade turbo kits?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't buy a homemade kit. Unless you find someone selling a home made setup.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GRAMIREZ5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea thats what i figured? Well I guess I have a lot of research to do, Thanks everyone all your input was very helpfull!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
There is a **** load of info on here. Go through a bunch of post of people who talk about their setup, notice the parts that come up the most often and based on their reviews and your goal, you can then decide which parts you'll be getting.

Once you know which parts and models you're after then it's only a matter of shopping for good deals.

So get a list of the components you need to piece your kit, and start shopping.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 AM

well if you research a little bit and know every part you need you can go junk yard shopping and build it yourself... i'm using a dsm 14b turbo off of a eagle talon. i was just lucky to find one with no shaft play.

just do some research and find out what all you need... go to
http://www.homemadeturbo.com check out some of that stuff... that site is your friend

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He is asking where he can purchase a homemade turbo kit...do you really think he can go and buy the kit piece by piece? He won't even know what he needs! He'll most likely buy a 14b turbo and a front-mount intercooler, open his hood and be like "Okay, so now how can I attach this turbo to my engine?"

To the OP: Just save yourself the headache and buy a turbo kit. Don't try and piece it together yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you were new to this at one point too... christ on a crutch lighten up... he's here to learn not to get flamed...
Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94c1v1cex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he's here to learn not to get flamed... </TD></TR></TABLE>

X2
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 AM

here look here...

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f...135.0
Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im tired of people asking what they can do to make a d series fast. theres only one way turbo . thats it even then u wont be happy. save ur money do a swap plan and simple.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94c1v1cex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you were new to this at one point too... christ on a crutch lighten up... he's here to learn not to get flamed... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good thing I wasn't talking to the OP then. I made a comment for the OP at the end.

Read before you lecture.

Quick Reply: How can I add HP to be D16?