Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to bleed the brakes after full brake swap?? search button isnt showing up :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:34 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to bleed the brakes after full brake swap?? search button isnt showing up :(

I wouldnt normally post this question since its been asked a billion times but all of the site buttons are red x's and the search button isnt even showing up as that right now for me??

anyway, I just finished doing a full 91 teg brake swap on my 93 hatch including the rear brakes and the prop valve and master cylinder.

There's absolutely no fluid in the entire system. I need to know the proper procedure for bleeding it?

I'm pretty sure I remember it's right front then left front then right rear then left rear. but I know I have to do the master cylinder first. I fill it up and then pull the bolt out the bottom until it flows smooth right?? Then I can proceed to do the lines right??

or am I completely off base?? Its been two years since I've done one and I cant find my helms manual in my garage since I can barely move in it as the car is taking it all up.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to bleed the brakes after full brake swap?? search button isnt showing up :( (stackz)

open all the bleeders and fill the mc. keep an eye on the level keep it topped off. once you have fluid coming out of a caliper close the bleeder. once all 4 are closed. start in with the right rear pump and bleed until no air bubble come out. then work your way around the car in this order rr,lf,lr,rf.once everything feels good and there is no air in the system you will be good to go. this will take some time and a bit of fluid but it should get you up and running again. The reason for this is the brakes are tied together in a crisscross pattern and you want to bleed the one that is furthes from the mc first. (rr is tied to the lf and the lr is tied to the rf)
Old 08-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: how to bleed the brakes after full brake swap?? search button isnt showing up :( (stackz)

Yes, it will take a while. Good idea to have two people. One person to constantly pump and check fluid level, and another to bleed each caliper.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to bleed the brakes after full brake swap?? search button isnt showing up :( (BlueIntegraBoy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good idea to have two people.</TD></TR></TABLE>

or speed bleeders.

to the OP; Did you bench bleed the master cyl before putting it on?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Banned

Default Re: how to bleed the brakes after full brake swap?? search button isnt showing up :( (BlueIntegraBoy

Modified by CardDealer at 9:20 AM 11/16/2006
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMHO, speed bleeders cause nothing but problems. You have to replace them after awhile, and its really easy to strip them out. Anyone can pump the brake. If my girlfriend can do it, anyone can </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had them on my car for over 2 years and many track days. I always bleed my brakes before a track day and have never needed to replace them. I read the instructions about not over tightening so I haven't stripped them either.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:03 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: how to bleed the brakes after full brake swap?? search button isnt showing up :( (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">open all the bleeders and fill the mc. keep an eye on the level keep it topped off. once you have fluid coming out of a caliper close the bleeder. once all 4 are closed. start in with the right rear pump and bleed until no air bubble come out. then work your way around the car in this order rr,lf,lr,rf.once everything feels good and there is no air in the system you will be good to go. this will take some time and a bit of fluid but it should get you up and running again. The reason for this is the brakes are tied together in a crisscross pattern and you want to bleed the one that is furthes from the mc first. (rr is tied to the lf and the lr is tied to the rf)</TD></TR></TABLE>

followed the pattern in this and it worked like a charm I guess I had the order backwards, glad I posted

I'll be honest, I was skeptical about just opening up the lines and letting it gravity bleed for a while but I'll be damned if it didnt work. I actually watched it drip...then bubble...then drip again solidly. After I did this with all four wheels...after opening up the drain bolt on the MC first before everything to let it bleed...I had air in only two lines after having my girlfriend pump the brakes while I bled each line 15 times.

car stops great. I actually think one of the calipers is locked up though...doh!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear it worked well for you.