Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how to advance timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to advance timing

i have a 94 hatch cx. the manual said i'll get better fuel economy and quicker throttle response if i advance the timing. do i turn the distiburtor up or down? thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 04:37 PM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to advance timing (lv6l)

I wouldn't do it. You drive a CX anyway, how much more gas mileage do you need? lol
Old 11-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm getting pretty shitty gas milage. i know my timing is off, im planning to re-time it so just wanted to know which is advancing the timing, up or down.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:45 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lv6l)

get a timing light for about 30 bucks and set it properly.

or you can just try to listen to how the motor runs.

what i would do is mark the position its at now, and then move it slightly to see where it would be any better.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the light, i know what to do, my question is turning the dist. up or down will advance the timing
Old 11-12-2005, 05:46 PM
cute little bastard

Towards the firewall advances it, away from the firewall retards it. (not up/down, but front/back) good luck.

See ya when your motor blows
Old 11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

w0rd^^^^^^^
Old 11-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sgtroseberry)

Swap one of those CRX HF trannies. 115mph in 3rd.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast88std)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast88std &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Swap one of those CRX HF trannies. 115mph in 3rd. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think my cx tranny does that, but my motor doesn't have the power to reach 115.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:33 PM

I'm advancing my timing in the ecu, so much less of a pain in the *** to do, plus I can change it whenever it pleases me.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turnin my dist. back to middle or less will cause the motor to shake and want to die, to keep it at middle or less i have to turn my idle screw all the way to max. is that a bad thing?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">turnin my dist. back to middle or less will cause the motor to shake and want to die, to keep it at middle or less i have to turn my idle screw all the way to max. is that a bad thing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

First you're doing it blind by not having a timing gun to start with. Second adjusting the idle screw requires you have a accurate tachometer, don't use the factory tachometer because it is off by a few hundred rpms.

Do what I do and get a good quality timing gun that has a built-in tach in it. It'll save you a lot of time and prevent you from blowing up your engine (that's if you're a competent wrencher).
Old 11-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Lord Helmet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lord Helmet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First you're doing it blind by not having a timing gun to start with. Second adjusting the idle screw requires you have a accurate tachometer, don't use the factory tachometer because it is off by a few hundred rpms.

Do what I do and get a good quality timing gun that has a built-in tach in it. It'll save you a lot of time and prevent you from blowing up your engine (that's if you're a competent wrencher). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh hell ya. I got a Mac timing light and tach. combo. I love that thing! Your gonna want to set the idle to 650rpm (if a 5spd.) and 700rpm (if it's an auto.). According to my manual, your US Cx timing should be 12 degrees BTDC at 650rpm. I wouldn't push it by advancing your timing more then this. You have to remember these are interference engines and advancing it to much will cause pinging and that leads to bent valves, burnt valves, etc.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: how to advance timing (lv6l)

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...g.php
Old 11-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

12 degrees BTDC is which line when i'm doing timing. i see five lines. sets of 3 and sets of 2. like this.......l l l l l
Old 11-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">12 degrees BTDC is which line when i'm doing timing. i see five lines. sets of 3 and sets of 2. like this.......l l l l l</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's like this when you see it:

l l l............l l &lt;---this guy right here is TDC.
^
This is the one you want to go off of. It's the middle one of the three.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its hard to explain what my problem is. i know how to do timing. BIG QUESTION IS how much do i turn the dist. and idle screw to have proper rpm on the tach. because both idle screw and dist. will cause the rpm to go up or down. so pretend as the site somebody post mention, i have to first adjust the idle screw to set my rpm to 750rpm, if i turn my screw coutnerclockwise the rpm goes up, what if i have to turn it max to get to 750rpm, and so i tried turning down the idle screw and turning the dist. forward to get 750rpm, but than my timing will be off, i've been makeing threads abotu this subject for a while now, i think this is the third one and people have been trying to teach me to do a timing, and by know i'm pretty sure i know how its just i tried to explain my problem here but when i do nobody replys after that.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the site that someone post. it said the line "bond" is pointing at is 18btc. is this just for that motor in the site? or is all motor different and my cx motor is 12btc at the line bond is pointing at.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i set the timing to the "middle" line in the sets of three, but my dist. is turn all the way max forward. and the engine is pretty loud, what now? (my idle screw is up fairly high too, about 2 and a half turn counter-clockwise already)
Old 11-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its hard to explain what my problem is. i know how to do timing. BIG QUESTION IS how much do i turn the dist. and idle screw to have proper rpm on the tach. because both idle screw and dist. will cause the rpm to go up or down. so pretend as the site somebody post mention, i have to first adjust the idle screw to set my rpm to 750rpm, if i turn my screw coutnerclockwise the rpm goes up, what if i have to turn it max to get to 750rpm, and so i tried turning down the idle screw and turning the dist. forward to get 750rpm, but than my timing will be off, i've been makeing threads abotu this subject for a while now, i think this is the third one and people have been trying to teach me to do a timing, and by know i'm pretty sure i know how its just i tried to explain my problem here but when i do nobody replys after that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

O.K. First get your timing to spec. Then adjust your idle to 700rpm (guessing it's an automatic). Now recheck your timing and adjust as necessary. In your case you need to find your general timing before you can adjust your idle as it's been tampered with and way off at this point. Do not adjust your timing to bring your idle up and down. First timing and then adjust the idle screw to the proper rpm. Do you have a vacuum gauge? You could be experiencing a vacuum leak which is causing your idle screw to do nothing. The idle screw adjusts vacuum in the throttle body which controls engine idle. Basically an idle screw is an adjustable vacuum leak.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i set the timing to the "middle" line in the sets of three, but my dist. is turn all the way max forward. and the engine is pretty loud, what now? (my idle screw is up fairly high too, about 2 and a half turn counter-clockwise already)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please read my previous post. You will need to turn down the idle. Your CX does not have a tach. does it? I'm pretty sure it doesn't as they never came with one. Anyways, turn the idle down. I would suggest you get a handheld tach. if your going to be able to fix this properly.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the site that someone post. it said the line "bond" is pointing at is 18btc. is this just for that motor in the site? or is all motor different and my cx motor is 12btc at the line bond is pointing at.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, that's an integra motor in c-speed's link. and yes, just set it to the middle line as bond has pointed out.

actually, your specs for the timing should read something like 12d +/- 2 degrees. The center line of the 3 is the 12d mark on your car, the other lines are the plus and minus 2d from the 12d. When I set my timing, I try to set it as close to the more advanced line(14d in your case) as 14d falls within the allowable range. I then test drive the car and see if it pings. If it doesn't, I leave it at the14d mark. If it does ping, I retime the car back closer to the 12d mark in steps until it dosn't ping. The idea is to run as much advance as you can without having it ping. the 12d mark is Honda's "play it safe" spec for that particular engine.

edit- bond gives you some good advice on the idle adjutment. it needs to be accurate for the timing to be accurate.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a manual. and i have a tach from a ex civic on it. i did timing and i adjust the screw to 750rpm. i then check the timing, i notice i have to turn the dist. forward more because turning it back the lines is going down and away. but i have already turn my dist. max foward. could this problem be from a leak?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a manual. and i have a tach from a ex civic on it. i did timing and i adjust the screw to 750rpm. i then check the timing, i notice i have to turn the dist. forward more because turning it back the lines is going down and away. but i have already turn my dist. max foward. could this problem be from a leak?</TD></TR></TABLE>

your idle should be at 650rpm. Adjust your idle down now and to 650rpm. Then recheck your timing. A vacuum leak will not effect timing that much. When you look at the crank when adjusting it think of it this way:

&lt;-----line is this way of the pointer on the cover (the same pointer you use to line up the mark on the crank) it's advanced. Now if it to the right -------&gt; of the pointer it's retarded. Now which side is the mark at right now on the pointer? Damn, this is so hard to explain over the internet.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i agree, its very hard to explain it on the net. thats why i've been making threads of this same subject but this thread is the only thread that you and kkim has been able to get some progress on helping me. thanks a lot to that. but back to the problem, i get what you are saying, the pointer is to the right when i turn my idle down to 650rpm. turning th dist forward casue the pointer to move left and turning the dist. backwards cause the poitner to move to the left. i have already turn my dist forward max.

Quick Reply: how to advance timing