Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Horn kills engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn kills engine

I am not sure when it started but if I hit the horn button on either side of the steering wheel it kills the engine. It doesn't do it all the time though. So this leads me to think something is either getting grounded that shouldn't be or something isn't grounded that should be. I have had it at the local Honda dealer for almost three weeks now. They have replaced relays, rewired my horn separately from the factory relay, but to no avail. I have tried to think of anything that I could have done to have caused this myself and the only thing I could think of is that the factory screws fell out of the bottom half of the steering column cover a long time ago (I bought my 95 del Sol when it was new) so I found some that fit the hole size but that they might have been too long. If they were too long is there any wiring above them that they could have screwed into? If so, how do you get the two halves of the steering column apart to look at what's inside? Please advise if there is even any need in pulling this cover off. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Horn kills engine

I need to add that I have removed the screws that I used but the problem still continues. This is why I was asking about if there was any wiring right above those areas so I would know to look to see if any wires were damaged. Even with the screws removed, the two cover pieces will not come apart. Please advise.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Horn kills engine

Originally Posted by ENGBLYDON
I need to add that I have removed the screws that I used but the problem still continues. This is why I was asking about if there was any wiring right above those areas so I would know to look to see if any wires were damaged. Even with the screws removed, the two cover pieces will not come apart. Please advise.
I think there are 3 total screws on the bottom of the steering column cover that hold it in, after that you just have to snap/unclip it apart.

This is an incredibly odd issue. The only thing I can think of would be somehow the horn wiring and ignition are interfering with one another, but I don't know enough about how those are wired in to know if that's even possible. I'd think that Honda should have been able to figure this out too...

I'd try maybe looking into the ignition module/wiring, but that's just a guess.

Edit: Have you tested if anything else in the steering column area kills the engine, or any other electronics? Windshield washer? Cruise control?

Edit2: The ignition module and horn shouldn't share a common wire harness, but they may go to the same box or relay as the ECM or ignition. Trace the wires back, or have an experienced mechanic look at it. You've got to have a bad ground or cross somewhere

Also, this was on a diesel truck but someone on some Ford forums had the same issue and it turned out to be his CPS (crank position sensor). I don't think that'd make sense on a Honda though.