Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hood spacers. Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood spacers. Dangerous?

I was thinking about adding washers where the hood bolts up to raise it a little to help dissapate heat. But I was thinking, WORST case scenario if you were to hit something head on going fast 70mph+, would the hood slide off and cut you in the face? I know it sounds stupid but it would suck if you got beheaded by a hood.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (vg7z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking about adding washers where the hood bolts up to raise it a little to help dissapate heat. But I was thinking, WORST case scenario if you were to hit something head on going fast 70mph+, would the hood slide off and cut you in the face? I know it sounds stupid but it would suck if you got beheaded by a hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if that thought would cross your mind then why would you even think about asking?
do you have ITB's? that's the only reason i can think of that it will be benefical, and even then i think it's retarded.

to dissapate heat? please! i think honda did a damn good job with this already or we all will be having overheating problems.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
My car breaks a lot!

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (philosofy1)

:<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if that thought would cross your mind then why would you even think about asking?
do you have ITB's? that's the only reason i can think of that it will be benefical, and even then i think it's retarded.

to dissapate heat? please! i think honda did a damn good job with this already or we all will be having overheating problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>thumbup:

Old 08-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (vg7z)

if u did put washer in, you would also put longer screws
Old 08-17-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (teamvirus)

It works best with ITB's but it does help if you have a regular funnel intake. Dude 1"to1.5" 1/4" coarse bolts, 2 washers per bolt, and a spring per bolt that will fit the thread. Trust, that **** wont go anywhere. All you gotta worry about is the popo giving you a ticket for an "overly modified hood." I hate burbank pd . On my friends b16 powered EG dyno it gave an extra 12 ponies and this dyno is accurate!!!! no magazine horse power.....I'd be more worried about getting little shards of glass in my face than a hood. The windshield should be coated anyways.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (EconoHatch)

I would rather just make a small oval hole in the center and make it look neat with a sliding door
Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (Capn'jazz)

Because that would look great you might as well put a stick on hood scoop
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capn’jazz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would rather just make a small oval hole in the center and make it look neat with a sliding door</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (EconoHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EconoHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It works best with ITB's but it does help if you have a regular funnel intake. Dude 1"to1.5" 1/4" coarse bolts, 2 washers per bolt, and a spring per bolt that will fit the thread. Trust, that **** wont go anywhere. All you gotta worry about is the popo giving you a ticket for an "overly modified hood." I hate burbank pd . On my friends b16 powered EG dyno it gave an extra 12 ponies and this dyno is accurate!!!! no magazine horse power.....I'd be more worried about getting little shards of glass in my face than a hood. The windshield should be coated anyways. </TD></TR></TABLE>

12hp??? that seems quite high. is that with itb's or not?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (mxpx035)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mxpx035 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because that would look great you might as well put a stick on hood scoop</TD></TR></TABLE> It wouldnt look great, but I used it as a better personal choice comparing it to the lifted hood. Besides, it wouldnt look horrible. 12 inch oval with a small plate underneath that makes it look normal.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (Capn'jazz)

but i doubt it would flow like lifting a 4 foot section of the hood where the air flow would also pull the air from under the hood. but all am sayin is that I would never cut a 12 inch hole in my hood
Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
to dissapate heat? please! i think honda did a damn good job with this already or we all will be having overheating problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, Honda did a wonderful job with keeping the engine bay cool enough for the engine to operate properly, but you have to finish the sentence too. Honda's heat dissipation and radiator are built and designed to work well under one circumstance and one circumstance only... a stock engine.

You really think Honda's cooling systems and techniques are designed for a turbocharged, supercharged, or ITBed engine? Didn't think so, this is a cheap way to do just what Honda didn't, keep an extremely hot engine bay cooler.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking about adding washers where the hood bolts up to raise it a little to help dissapate heat. But I was thinking, WORST case scenario if you were to hit something head on going fast 70mph+, would the hood slide off and cut you in the face? I know it sounds stupid but it would suck if you got beheaded by a hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try removing the weather stripping (that big plastic thing at the base of your windsheild) it will do the same thing without needing to raise the hood up.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, Honda did a wonderful job with keeping the engine bay cool enough for the engine to operate properly, but you have to finish the sentence too. Honda's heat dissipation and radiator are built and designed to work well under one circumstance and one circumstance only... a stock engine.

You really think Honda's cooling systems and techniques are designed for a turbocharged, supercharged, or ITBed engine? Didn't think so, this is a cheap way to do just what Honda didn't, keep an extremely hot engine bay cooler.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

your right about the turbo's, superchargers, etc. that's why there's radiators like fluidyne and koyo. that's why there are oil coolers, oem and aftermarket. apperantly you have washers on you hood too. sorry if i offended you!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Yeah but do you think a Fluidyne radiator, or a oil cooler is going to help out with air flow to your ITB'S maybe sitting in traffic it will keep your car cooler after beating it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your right about the turbo's, superchargers, etc. that's why there's radiators like fluidyne and koyo. that's why there are oil coolers, oem and aftermarket. apperantly you have washers on you hood too. sorry if i offended you!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hood spacers. Dangerous? (mxpx035)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mxpx035 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah but do you think a Fluidyne radiator, or a oil cooler is going to help out with air flow to your ITB'S maybe sitting in traffic it will keep your car cooler after beating it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand about ITB's, i guess you didn't read my first post, so here you go:

to dissapate heat? please! i think honda did a damn good job with this already or we all will be having overheating problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i raised up the hood for a while before I upgraded the cooling system, it eliminated most of my overheating issues.

it totally works, but don't do it unless you have too!

oh and don't worry about the hood becoming a danger, the hood would simple bend apart... don't be stupid just think about it!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

it should be the same level of safety if you use longer bolts of the same grade... the shearing stress in the bolts wouldnt be any different for the same grades of materials if the washers are used to space

however, there are many threads about this.. but FWIW, either choice you make about it, someone will give you pros and cons...
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who cares if its dangerous, just do it, like a true ricer would
Old 08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

some vis hoods do not clear b series engines
"popping" the hood lets it clear the valvecover, without cutting the skeleton

theres another practical reason for it

i personally dont care either way
Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: (fventura03)

lol......a true ricer huh.....Personally I like the way it looks. It helps with the heating issues and It helps the engine breathe better wheather its N/A or turbocharged.....Its your car, your style its all on you. I told you how to do it without any problems. It wont fall or hurt you....all you need to worry about are the honda loving uniformened guarding angles.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some vis hoods do not clear b series engines
</TD></TR></TABLE> also for h2b swaps
Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EconoHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EconoHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol......a true ricer huh.....Personally I like the way it looks. It helps with the heating issues and It helps the engine breathe better wheather its N/A or turbocharged.....Its your car, your style its all on you. I told you how to do it without any problems. It wont fall or hurt you....all you need to worry about are the honda loving uniformened guarding angles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

unless you do a lot of autoxing/tracking it's worthless. if your car overheats, you have some really serious problems going on, even all these fully built cars dont do that - as far as it clearing the valve cover, that's a completely different ballgame i rather cut the skeleton then have my hood looking like i got in an accident, but like you said, that's my taste.

Basically everyone wants to do it because some people in Japan have done it and they think it "looks" nice. this is what i call jdm bandwagon rice.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fventura03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fventura03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you do a lot of autoxing/tracking it's worthless. if your car overheats, you have some really serious problems going on, even all these fully built cars dont do that - as far as it clearing the valve cover, that's a completely different ballgame i rather cut the skeleton then have my hood looking like i got in an accident, but like you said, that's my taste.

Basically everyone wants to do it because some people in Japan have done it and they think it "looks" nice. this is what i call jdm bandwagon rice.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had no idea it was a "JDM" thing lol... i ended up trying it after i started to have overheating issues due to switching turbos to a watercooled unit. It works for sure, but after upgrading the radiator i put it back down because, IMHO it looks like poop

so as a temporary fix it works yes, but don't do it unless you really need it! girls would always be like... "Whats wrong with your hood?!" *slap* IDB for you bitch! haha

seriously though...
Old 08-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i do it
my car doesn't overheat, but my turbo manifold gets so hot, it actually cracked the paint on my hood!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

YEAH I get the "whats wrong with your hood" from girls too.......Surprisingly though a lot of other guys like it.....and not just honda heads. I wouldn't swear by it if I didn't see good results. Im telling you go DYNO your car with and without and you will see a difference........if not you can Email a nasty message telling me to go to hell with my raised hood and my SOHC motor.....with a bad tranny!!!!! ....oh yeah VENTURA I don't know if you've noticed but most FULLY BUILT cars have some kind of ram air mechanism...scoops, aftermarket bumpers, missing light that kind of stuff.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't feel like taking any side in this pitiful argument so I'm going to go back to the original question. It'd be completely safe, if something happend your hood would snap and hit the windshield if anything and go over, woudln't go through and decapitate you...if that happend then you'd have bigger problems to worry about (like your engine in the back seat).

Quick Reply: Hood spacers. Dangerous?