Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

honda civic heads not receiving oil/ any ideas on why the heads are not getting oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda civic heads not receiving oil/ any ideas on why the heads are not getting oil

i have a 2000 honda civic and my engine is not getting any oil to the heads.. the engine sounds like also something is rattling inside but i cant seem to figure it out i need some help.... my first prioritte is to find out why its not getting oil to the heads any ideas please let me know
Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: honda civic heads not receiving oil/ any ideas on why the heads are not getting o

Does the rattle go away after warm up, or is it constant? What is your oil pressure reading?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: honda civic heads not receiving oil/ any ideas on why the heads are not getting o

the rattle is constant... and after about 10 min's of idling the rpms start to go up and down ...
Old 03-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any CEL's being thrown? Have you checked your pressure with a mechanical gauge? One idea might be to pull the valve cover and run it with the cover off to see if you are getting any oil up top. Is it bone dry? If the gauge shows no pressure then it sounds like your pump with south. As far as the rpm's maybe a vac leak or bad sensor?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jfrear21
i have a 2000 honda civic and my engine is not getting any oil to the heads.. the engine sounds like also something is rattling inside but i cant seem to figure it out i need some help.... my first prioritte is to find out why its not getting oil to the heads any ideas please let me know
How do you know there is no oil getting to the head?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:42 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mcvtec
How do you know there is no oil getting to the head?
That's my question. My second question is, if this is true, why are you even attempting to run the engine?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the oil light is constant I changed oil pressure gauge changed the o ring and gasket of the oil pump changed oil pump as well i primed the oil pump before running the oil pump I took of the head cover and ran it to see if oil was spitting out u can see the cam is lubricated the oil light still won't go off I put a gauge on it and it doesn't read any pressure any ideas what it might be
Old 11-01-2011, 03:40 PM
The Grumpiest

You haven't figured this out after 8 months? Where did you install the gauge? Did you tee off of the sender? Did you swap that out?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got another car and left the civic alone now I want to fix and get ride of it ...well I connected the oil gauge where the oil pressure switch is at by the oil filter ...
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Did. You. Change/Check. The. Oil. Pressure. Sender. Unit?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop the pan and replace the oil pump. Problem solved.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked ad replaced the pressure sender unit I took of the cover from te heads to check of there was oil going to the heads and there is oil shooting out but has no oil pressure
Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Your engine just may be worn out. How many miles? Was it run low on oil?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
20% cooler

How can it be shooting out with no pressure? Are you checking oil pressure with the motor fully reassembled or is the valve cover off?
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
How can it be shooting out with no pressure? Are you checking oil pressure with the motor fully reassembled or is the valve cover off?
My understanding is that the oil [edit] pump creates oil flow not oil pressure. Oil pressure is produced by the engine.

Last edited by Former User; 11-02-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
My understanding is that the fuel pump creates oil flow not oil pressure. Oil pressure is produced by the engine.
oh you are SO going to get flammed for that typo.

and yes, basic engine knowledge, the restrictions in the oiling system create pressure, since an oil pump is simply a positive displacement pump (meaning a set cc/rev)
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch
oh you are SO going to get flammed for that typo.
What typo? (Edit - whoops! Yep I meant oil pump.)

Flammed?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
20% cooler

My understanding is that the fuel pump creates oil flow not oil pressure. Oil pressure is produced by the engine.
I didn't know the fuel pump had anything to do with the oil. With the valve cover off, the PCV system wouldn't be sealed and there wouldn't be anyway to maintain oil pressure. Are you saying it might be a good idea for him to test his rings?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
I didn't know the fuel pump had anything to do with the oil.
My goof: fuel pump ---> oil pump

With the valve cover off, the PCV system wouldn't be sealed and there wouldn't be anyway to maintain oil pressure. Are you saying it might be a good idea for him to test his rings?
The PCV system doesn't play a role in oil pressure. It has do with having a "tight" engine (e.g., bearing free play not out of spec).
Old 11-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have. Checked it with the valve cover on and off ..
Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could a clogged oil filter cause it
Old 11-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked with a mechanical gauge yet? If you have good pressure readings then I would suspect the wiring to the sending unit. If that wire is shorting out against bare metal somewhere then it would make your oil light turn on.

I have an aftermarket gauge in my 97 w/ d16y5 and although it has an electrical sending unit it runs at 60psi cold and then in the 40's-50's when it's good and warmed up, then typically when I get 20-30 it's low on oil so then I know it's time to check that.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jfrear21
Could a clogged oil filter cause it

That would generally increase oil pressure.

You didn't answer these questions:

Your engine just may be worn out. How many miles? Was it run low on oil?
What engine?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine has 150k miles and have always had it running with the right amount of oil
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 PM
The Grumpiest

What engine?
This question has been asked at last TWICE. You have yet to answer it. Why do you only respond to the first sentence in a reply?

Edit. Actually, most of your responses have been very non-responsive.

Please help us to help you by furnishing ALL requested information.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 11-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: honda civic heads not receiving oil/ any ideas on why the heads are not getting oil