Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Civic CX 97 - No power at ignition, no radio, but power to lights.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic CX 97 - No power at ignition, no radio, but power to lights.

Hello,

Something weird happen while I was driving. The car just stopped working. Honda Civic Hatchback CX 1997 1.6L

When I put the car to "On", it is dead quiet, and when I turn the key, no click, no crank, nuthin like a dead car, no dash lights, also radio does not turn on, no sound of fuel pump priming, nothing.
However, the headlights works nice and bright, if I turn on the dash lights on, that works, and then the long beep would come on from the headlights being on, long beep will turn off if I turn off the headlights/dashlights. The radio does not come on.

I've tried wiggling the key to see if it was the ignition switch, but no luck. Unless it's just really dead.

What could be wrong? Is it a fuse or some electrical short somewhere? what are some places to check?

Thank you.

Last edited by billyjobs; 06-25-2019 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic CX 97 - No power at ignition, no radio, but power to lights.

There are large main fuses in the fuse box next to the battery. The one marked "IG" feeds the ignition switch. The two white wires on the ignition switch should be live all the time. If the fuse has blown, there is a wire shorting to ground somewhere, one of the large wires for the ignition switch which is not otherwise fused.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic CX 97 - No power at ignition, no radio, but power to lights.

Thanks so much for that! Got it fixed looks like one of the white wires was loose on the connector, I got 12V to it and plugged it back in and car started right up.