Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda civic 1998 1.5 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda civic 1998 1.5 problems

I have Honda Civic 1998 year, 1.5 VTEC-E (84kw) and I have few problems and questions about it.

When i put key and turn to ignition, engine temperature jumps to middle and stays like that when i start car, it doesnt move anywhere, so i cant really know is it warmed up or no, i know that he is warm when he starts with "econo" lamp.

When i drive it in higher RPM it uses oil and i think it sometimes throws some smoke on exaust, when i drive it below 3000 RPM, so mostly in econo mode, it doesnt use oil. Is engine done and ready for expensive repair or it could be cause of oil (now is 5w30 oil in engine)?

I have original Honda rims like this https://www.njuskalo.hr/image-w920x690/alu-felge/alu-felge-honda-civic-slika-34950572.jpg and would buy steel rims for winter tires, do i need another set of bolts for steel rims?

My odometer is working but trip reset buttons is not working, it moves all numbers just a bit, doesnt reset to 0. what could it be? And can i replace only that or need to replace both odometers and speed gauge? Some lamps in cluster arent working, what lamps goes there?

What fuel to sip in car, 95, 98 or 100? What is difference?

And does car have rear fog light? I have switch but it does nothing, only light that is on, but no on rear lamps, so i dont know if it doesnt have it or i just have to replace it. rear lights are like this https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ic0bB2aajYc/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Honda civic 1998 1.5 problems

What country are you in?

Did you just buy the car recently?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Croatia, got it almost free cause of problems above, but besides that it drives good, drove around 3000km and oil fell 2-3 mm from max.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Hysterically Calm

High RPM tends to use oil in most Honda's. Spec is 1 liter every 1500 Kilometers if I remember correctly. If you consume less, then the engine is considered okay. If it's more, then Honda considers the engine needing a rebuild or replacement.

If you use Honda steel rims, then the rounded acorn style Honda lug nut will be fine on the steel rims. If your current rims are not Honda and are using the tapered cone tuner lug nut, you will need new rounded acorn lugs for the steel rims.

As for your temp gauge, there is something wrong with the gauge, wiring and/or the single wire temp sensor located on the head under the dizzy (usually). You will have to do some testing to see where the issue lies.

The trip meter is not something you can fix (easily) as much as simply replace. It almost sounds like you need to do a gauge cluster swap as your current cluster appears to be having issues.

I would google owners manual "your car year make and model" and see what your local google results provide. In the owners manual it will tell you the fuel octane required for the car. Typically Honda has designed the economy motor (vtec-e) to use the lowest commercial grade octane available to you so that should be the 95.

Are you sure it's a rear fog light and not rear window defogger?
Old 09-15-2018, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is less than 1l per 1500km so its probably okay. What oil is good to use, 5w30 and 5w40, semisyntetic or?

I have honda aluminium rims like on pic below and lugs looks like this, so i can buy original steel rims and put these lug nuts?

I thought that it could be problem with temp gauge, since econo mode doesnt turn on right after starting car, it turns on after like 2 kilometers and temperature gauge is on middle like it was after starting car... So it could still be problem with sensor or wiring?

I think that i will buy whole cluster and replace my cluster, since some background light bulbs arent working too and it seems like the easyest fix.

Im currently pouring 95, but what is difference between 95 and 100? Will 100 do some damage or engine will get a bit more power or what? This is my first gasoline car haha :D

I have these 2 switches, first one with icon of rear foglight is closer to the door, below air vent hole, and the one with rear window defogger is above radio so i really dont know... These lights dont have foglight or?

Old 09-18-2018, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know what happened with my post, i posted 4 days ago and got message that admins have to check and approve my post, but there is no post and no any message if i wrote something wrong

I used less than 1 liter so its probably okay. i have honda aluminium rims like this on pic

And lug nuts like this

I would buy original honda steel rims for winter tires since they are pretty cheap, so i can use this lug nuts?
I thought that its not problem in temperature sensor cause econo mode turns on when engine is warm and when i start engine, it needs few kilometers to start turning on econo mode, but temp gauge dont even move, only time i see temperature gauge moving is when i turn key in ignition.

Looks like the smartest thing to do is to buy same cluster and just replace it, since some bulbs arent working too.. Is immobilizer code in cluster or somewhere else and i can just replace it without coding?

I have switch in middle of dashboard, above radio with icon of rear window defogger and near door i have switch with icon of rear foglamp...

Last edited by blackeagle; 09-18-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Hysterically Calm

Those lug nuts are tapered tuner lugs and are not correct for Honda Rims. You need the ball seat lug nuts for Honda Rims.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will check better what lug nuts are, but what is difference between your first lug nuts and on picture i posted?

Is it possible that i have fog light bulb? I have these 2 switches, first haves fog light icon and second one haves defogger icon