Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda Bond for Intake Manifold Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:56 AM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Bond for Intake Manifold Gasket

Hello everyone! Has anyone used Honda Bond as a gasket instead of the paper gasket from the dealer? I have a vacuum leak in my intake manifold and have since replaced it twice with Honda gaskets and now with a FelPro gasket with sprayed on Permatex copper sealer and could not cure the problem. Car idles pretty high (1600) and idle increases when I spray carb cleaner on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

I've cleaned both surfaces thoroughly and have torque the bolts pretty good. The only thing I could think of is that one of the surfaces is not perfectly flat and would need a machineshop to resurface it which is out of the question since this is my daily driver. Help anyone, I'm desperate.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Bond for Intake Manifold Gasket (jbs)

did you tighten to the proper Tq specs with the correct sequence ?

3 gaskets and still leaking , something is not right.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM

jbs i had to use honda bond for it.. it works well and no more leaks...
Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 AM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Bond for Intake Manifold Gasket (Doctor CorteZ)

Tell me about it. $ is adding up. The problem is by the passenger side of the manifold. It's driving me crazy!!!

What sequence? I started from the center and moved my way out from each direction.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowEGhatch)

That's good news! Did you use it together with the paper gasket or did you use it straight out? Hope this is the cure for my problem.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What sequence? I started from the center and moved my way out from each direction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes , what Tq setting ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hope this is the cure for my problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a temporary fix for a problem that still exists , find out why its leaking and fix it the correct way.

and BTW , gaskets AND gasket makers dont go together , choose one or the other.

if I had to use gasket maker it wouldnt be Hondabond either.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've cleaned both surfaces thoroughly and have torque the bolts pretty good. The only thing I could think of is that one of the surfaces is not perfectly flat and would need a machineshop to resurface it which is out of the question since this is my daily driver. Help anyone, I'm desperate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You shouldn't be working on your own car. Not without a manual with torque specs anyway. You torqued them pretty good? That definately isn't to spec and is part of your problem. The first gasket was probably just fine until you started torquing everything pretty good. Like someone else said before, there is also a sequence. So what you need to do is buy a torque wrench and find out the tightening sequence and tighten all the bolts to spec.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:54 AM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Bond for Intake Manifold Gasket (Doctor CorteZ)

I used 17lbs. I got the info of Helms. I did however re-torqued the passenger side of the manifold more when I pinpointed the leak but it did not help.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doctor CorteZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and BTW , gaskets AND gasket makers dont go together , choose one or the other.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
this is good to know. May be this is why I am currently having problems with the FelPro because I sprayed it with Permatex Copper sealer as well thinking it was double assurance.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doctor CorteZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if I had to use gasket maker it wouldnt be Hondabond either.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Which one will you use if you had to use one?

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate the help!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:58 AM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Bond for Intake Manifold Gasket (JRI94)

I've got a helms manual. Torque is 17lbs. The sequence however is another story. I'll have to browse through other sections to try to find this out since it is not mentioned for the intake manifold assembly/disassembly section. All I got was a pic of all the parts and the torque specs.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

next time you take it off, use a straight edge (a good one, not a ruler ) and test both surfaces to see if they are flat. I don't know why your having such problems, I did mine not to long ago (just an oem gasket with nothing else) and it has been fine. Are you POSITIVE that its not a crappy vacuum hose near the passanger side of the engine or maybe the PCV valve not in all the way or anything else, I don't see how you could be having all these problems. I would replace all the vacuum lines with new ones just to be sure, they are cheap and much easier fix, if nothing else, just to rule that out completely as the cause.