Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Honda "brotherhood"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Honda "brotherhood" (The_Head)

Hey thanks for all the support guys - it reminds me of the OG days when I first got into Hondas (early 90s). People helping out and supporting instead of mass-scams, thieves, punks, BS, etc. that seem to dominate these days.

Gonna be funny to be using an OBD2a->OBD1 adapter just to use a stock ECU. But I'll probably just fix that with some spare OBD1 plugs later.

I can say this guys: actual ECU wiring and the general harness wiring isn't really that bad. It was mainly that small space and the shorter wires which made things super bad for a while. But if you've got the space, there's really no need to rebuy an entire harness unless you've melted a bunch of wires.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would have just got a new harness from the engine bays fuse box to the ecu connection. i once had some jackers cut my ecu out...
Old 11-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dem0nk1d)

The point is that you can't get that harness for Civics. It's not a sub-harness. Replacing that portion of the harness requires replacing the entire main harness which runs under the dash to the driver's side components, gauges, etc. Equal amount of pain.

One small advantage here is that adding anti-theft relays/etc. will be pretty straight forward.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (clayne)

sounds like a time comsuming job huh. that really sucks. but at least you know how to fix it and you dont need to pay to have it done.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (black7hatch)

Its doesn't get much more lowlife then scum butchering up the inside harness on a working car.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (essex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by essex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its doesn't get much more lowlife then scum butchering up the inside harness on a working car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, and the best part it being another Honda owner.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:51 PM

what book are u using to show which color goes to where? i need to get one of those
Old 11-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RS93DA)

Factory Service Manual.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If that happened to my car I would of put a lot of acetone in his gas tank, put some screws in his throttle body, hide a dead rat deep inside the dash, and drain his engine, and transmission oil. Also take the air out of his spare. When he looks at it the spare will appear to be normal but if he gets a flat he's SOL. Also I'd stick something in his ignition key hole, just that alone will take up a couple of hours.

If he fixes one problem then he has to figure out what else is broken as each problem arises.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Compaq888)

Trust me, I'd love to take the guy out - but it happened a while back ago and unfortunately I just hadn't noticed until now as I never had a recent need to check the ECU again up until now. I was all set to just drop in this PFC and carry over FCdatalogit experience from the FD and if there were issues to have the fallback to P72 OEM.. But it's kinda forced now.

Oh well, solder is good as new.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Honda "brotherhood" (clayne)

sorry to here that good luck w/the build hope the guy w/the crx crashes into a wall wat an a-hole

Old 11-18-2006, 05:58 PM

I had my injector clips and alternator connector stolen aftermy engine caught on fire. Had it parked just outside the dealership I worked at with an alarm on as well. If people want some honda parts....they will get them.

As far as the Crx guy goes.....rent a Sawzall. They can really make a car pretty :D.

Finally, good luck with this install. You seem like a hard working Honda Head who wants his baby back. I can relate man, been there. Again, good luck.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm_eg06)

Looks like a tough job, but you look like you def have it in your hands, Good luck.
I had a cut up ecu harness also, I just ran direct wires to tthe sensors that shared similar colors at ecu.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clayne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey thanks for all the support guys - it reminds me of the OG days when I first got into Hondas (early 90s). People helping out and supporting instead of mass-scams, thieves, punks, BS, etc. that seem to dominate these days.
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aint that the truth... it aint like the old times these days. You just see much goodwill anymore. Bump for the good ol' days.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda "brotherhood" (EgSalad)

Okay, had to work 12 hour shifts on Sat and Sun. So got some work done on this today.

Whew. Time to do the harness ends now that I actually have *room* to do it in.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cleanly done. Nice work.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:50 AM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOOD JOB man, I personally love doing wiring jobs, but I would cut the brake lines on that crx dudes car.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 AM

Looks like a very clean job, good luck on the rebuild.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome to see someone doing it right. Tinning wires, shrink wrap, etc. No twist and tape BS.

As a side note, those were the factory rear speaker panels for the Si. I had em in my 95. If it hadn't been totalled, I'd pop em off and get you the part number. Once oyu have those, you just need the brakets. Wiring is already in the quarter panel.

Anyway, nice job man. Looks like you're doing everything right. Maybe it's getting older, but it's not about who's car is faster. It's about getting out there and making a fun car and meeting your own goals, and pushing friends to further their goals if they are open to it.
Oh, and if you need a throttle cable, I have one kicking around the garage. PM me if you need it.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bakeoff)

Makes me want to do my wiring over again like yours. Is that new carpet i see?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (La-Quiete)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by La-Quiete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Is that new carpet i see?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, thats what I was thinking.....but probably the OG carpet since you havent driven the car for years?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Honda "brotherhood" (h22 civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would find the crx **** head and litterally cut his car in half </TD></TR></TABLE>

It already looks like it
Old 11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bakeoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bakeoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As a side note, those were the factory rear speaker panels for the Si. I had em in my 95. If it hadn't been totalled, I'd pop em off and get you the part number. Once you have those, you just need the brakets. Wiring is already in the quarter panel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I just bought the rear speaker panels myself, and they are about $25/side retail and are readily available. I believe http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com has them listed there with the part numbers.

As a Side Note... since you are having to do wiring like that, id suggest putting in some sort of custom jumper harness in between your wiring and the ecu. That way you can take out your customer jumper harness and theres no way they can start your car. Its a real bonus that you did everything in black wire so its going to be harder to figure out which wire goes to what.

Get what im saying?
O is for female end of plug
= is for male end of plug

Your Harness Custom Plug(s) w/ jumper Ecu wiring to ecu plugs ECU
__________= O___________________= O_________________= XXX
--------------= O---------------------------= O-----------------------= XXX
--------------= O---------------------------= O-----------------------= XXX

Primitive illustration I guess. Anyways, good job with the DIY.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EgSalad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EgSalad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As a Side Note... since you are having to do wiring like that, id suggest putting in some sort of custom jumper harness in between your wiring and the ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. It's funny you mention that, because guess what second purpose that obd1-&gt;2a adapter was going to be playing? The ole.. "wires swapped are only known to me, put another ECU in here and watch your **** short out" trick.

As it is now, I'm just going to be siding with a few key relays and switches. The good thing with the extra loom is that I can make modifications without tearing my hair out too. I might convert the obd2a harness to wire connections to a high density 50-pin screw type in the future.. but that's one of those "mights."
Old 11-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wanna thank all you guys for your support and interest.

Hey look, I haven't moved forever:

Reborn:

"Get 'er done:"

Had to fight an issue with clogged injectors for a couple of hours, very frustrating, but I finally got over that hurdle and all was good. No issues whatsover with the ECU, wiring, etc. Idle is a tad high at 800, but I'll resolve that on it's own. Still gotta clean up a couple of other things too.

Modified by clayne at 8:42 AM 11/25/2006

Quick Reply: Honda "brotherhood"