Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hitachi vs TEC Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitachi vs TEC Distributor

I need a distributor for my 99' Civic LX. I found one at a junk yard, but it's from a coupe. The guy told me that the one he has is a Hitachi, but he's pretty sure my 4 door needs the TEC model. Does anyone know if that's true? I took a look at it and it looks basically the same as the one on mine, but I'm not sure about it. Are they interchangeable even? Thanks...

Edit: On closer inspection, it's definitely a TEC on my car. So same question, will the Hitachi one work?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Hitachi vs TEC Distributor

Hitachi makes great Magic Wands.

You could compare the part #'s on hondapartsnow.com
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-16-2017, 04:41 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

It doesn't matter if the distributor is from a coupe, hatchback or sedan. If the engine is the same, it's compatible. I would stop listening to that idiot at the junkyard. He clearly doesn't know **** about cars, let alone imports.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NVturbo
It doesn't matter if the distributor is from a coupe, hatchback or sedan. If the engine is the same, it's compatible. I would stop listening to that idiot at the junkyard. He clearly doesn't know **** about cars, let alone imports.
I'm inclined to agree that it will probably work. But why would they put two different ones in the coupe and the sedan? I've looked it up and confirmed that there is indeed a TEC in the sedan model and a Hitachi in the coupe. There's a few different models of the Honda D series from, maybe they're slightly different? I just don't want to waste my money on a part that isn't going to work, ya know?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow NVturbo... way to make a snap judgement without knowing the correct information.
They used different distributors because the models were built in different plants. It doesn't matter which you use, but if you're replacing only an internal part, such as a coil, cam sensor or ignitor, then they need to be from the same brand of distributor.

Hitachi is much less common than Tec. The Tec uses the same internals as nearly all Honda/Acura distributors from 88 to 00 ish. Lots of aftermarket replacement parts for it. Not many Hitachi ignitors for sale and when you do find them, they're very expensive. It's wise to replace the distributor with a Tec unless you can find the part you need in the junkyard. In my case, I found a Hitachi ignitor on an Accord.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by baller status
Wow NVturbo... way to make a snap judgement without knowing the correct information.
They used different distributors because the models were built in different plants. It doesn't matter which you use, but if you're replacing only an internal part, such as a coil, cam sensor or ignitor, then they need to be from the same brand of distributor.

Hitachi is much less common than Tec. The Tec uses the same internals as nearly all Honda/Acura distributors from 88 to 00 ish. Lots of aftermarket replacement parts for it. Not many Hitachi ignitors for sale and when you do find them, they're very expensive. It's wise to replace the distributor with a Tec unless you can find the part you need in the junkyard. In my case, I found a Hitachi ignitor on an Accord.
So what you're saying is that if I take the entire TEC unit off and replace it with a Hitachi one, it should work no problem? Just don't swap the internal parts between the two models?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Trial User

Went to get the distributor from the salvage yard and it turned out to be the TEC model that I originally thought I needed anyway. They just had it listed as a Hitachi lol. Replaced the distributor and the car started up fine. Most likely what I originally thought...bad ignition coil.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

learn to test so good parts dont get tossed.

Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by baller status

So you're saying if I don't use a Yamada water pump, it won't work? Get real dude. Honda has been known to use different manufacturers to make parts for them. Just as long as it meets their specs, that's all it matters.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, you missed the point entirely. Re read if you care to understand it.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Hitachi makes great Magic Wands.

You could compare the part #'s on hondapartsnow.com
FTW