Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hit a gard rail on my civic and i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit a gard rail on my civic and i need some help

k so my 1994 civic ex did not come with abs so long story short i hit the brakes and they locked up and i swerved into a guardrail and i hit it with the front of my car. so damage, windshield is cracked the airbags went off and i think the front of the car is smashed in a good few inches.

i need to know

how much for the air bags to be fixed or at least the passenger side to be put back in so it looks descent i don't plan on putting a normal wheel back on but i would like to know the cost if do decide to

i need to know if the radiator support (it is smashed in and i do need a new one) is bolted on or if it is welded on

i would like a desent sized picture of a engine bay with out the engine if some one has one that would be greatly appreciated so i can see what a normal bay is suposta look like so i can see what damage is done to mine ( if the bumper could be off that would be amazing)

and just anything else i mite need to look for and what the best place to look for them at whether it be at a junk yard or online

i will post pic here in a few if need be

thanks alot everyone

-Dan
Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 PM

i know it cost like $120 to get 1 air bag filled back up
Old 08-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

You're definitely going to need a new front rad support, but first, you should check the frame rails. If they're bent, consider the car totalled.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (wiZCo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're definitely going to need a new front rad support, but first, you should check the frame rails. If they're bent, consider the car totalled.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Based on what he said, I can almost guarantee the frame rail is bent on whichever side the guardrail is on.

From the damage described, I'd wait on it a bit...I'm assuming you reported it to the insurance company, right? That car's probably totaled.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM

here are some pic if u need others tell me and i would be glade to put them up

&lt;table style="width:194px;"&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td align="center" style="height:194px;background:url(http://picasaweb.google.com/f/img/tr...background.gif) no-repeat left"&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td style="text-align:center;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px"&gt;Untitled Album&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM

click on the picture and it will take u to the others
Old 08-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

She's done, that's a bent frame rail in the last pic. That can be fixed, but not really worth it IMO. Better just total it out and be done with it.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (steeltitanpro)

if you total it ill buy your ac
Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: (MugenManR)

if you total it and part it, let me know I can use some things.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Based on what he said, I can almost guarantee the frame rail is bent on whichever side the guardrail is on.

From the damage described, I'd wait on it a bit...I'm assuming you reported it to the insurance company, right? That car's probably totaled.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ke98248)

your car best friend is going to be a frame machine.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti-eater)

make really good friends with someone who works at an autobody shop lol ur gonna need frame repair, new rad core support, new front bumper. and welding is involved.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hit a gard rail on my civic and i need some help (steeltitanpro)

ill buy you seats and back bumper and side skirt from you
Old 08-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hit a gard rail on my civic and i need some help (steeltitanpro)

actually it can be fix. you need to put it on a frame machine and replace the rad support and the front end
Old 08-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Front end stuff is generally hard to find at junk yards mostly because people hit stuff in the front so i wouldn't sugest spending a lot of time looking there.

Fenders are about $80 a peice (for a del sol anyways) a hood is 300, bumper 30-60. Radiator is about 100.

new paint $400 (maaco)

Depending on how bad the frame is i would say your screwed. But if you want to try to fix it your self, put a new hood on, if it cant close then you have to push out the frame.

What i did topush out my frame by 1.5 inch, i got a jack and put it in between the engine and frame and slowly pushed it out, then let it sit. and wait a few hours and release it and start over.

Parting out your car isn't that bad of idea, craigslist is a goodplace to start.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jasonweaver88)

who says anything about buying from OEM. Aftermarket is the way to go but it doesnt fit exactly 100%. But cheaper
Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (hmtcrxsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who says anything about buying from OEM. Aftermarket is the way to go but it doesnt fit exactly 100%. But cheaper</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aftermarket FTL.

I'd much rather pay the extra $$$ to have clean body lines. I'm currently saving to replace cheap fenders and a hood on my EM1 that don't line up for crap.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Aftermarket FTL.

I'd much rather pay the extra $$$ to have clean body lines. I'm currently saving to replace cheap fenders and a hood on my EM1 that don't line up for crap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL - Obviously you've never worked in a bodyshop.

In terms of VW's (MKIV +), Porsches, Mercedes Benz, Peugeot, etc. aftermarket will NOT fit worth of ****.

In terms of Hondas aftermarket fits 110%, lol. They're not exactly tight tolerance panels. You can always purchase aftermarket **** to fix a Honda or Acura, especially the older ones. When you get into better made bodies though, you can't.

@ OP:
Yeah, the frame rail is bent...that car's toasted......did you even report this to an insurance company...?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LoL - Obviously you've never worked in a bodyshop.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true. However, I do know that I have cheap aftermarket fenders on my car that don't have the correct mounting locations (the bodyshop extended the bolt holes to fit them) and the hood is too long by ~1/4". The "Made in Korea" sticker on the panels was a dead giveaway.

Maybe some aftermarket fits better than others, this stuff isn't very good.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is true. However, I do know that I have cheap aftermarket fenders on my car that don't have the correct mounting locations (the bodyshop extended the bolt holes to fit them) and the hood is too long by ~1/4". The "Made in Korea" sticker on the panels was a dead giveaway.

Maybe some aftermarket fits better than others, this stuff isn't very good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh, then bought from a **** aftermarket parts dealer then. Usually on honda/Acura you can get aftermarket panels to match up 100%, it's not like most of the Euro cars where it won't line up worth of **** .
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seibon aftermarket is WAAAYYYY Different than ebay aftermarket.
OEM (even if its used) FTW!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (_.Sarge._)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _.Sarge._ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seibon aftermarket is WAAAYYYY Different than ebay aftermarket.
OEM (even if its used) FTW!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, sucks to find out things the hard way. *shrug*, cosmetic stuff is pretty low on my list, I still got a great deal on the car.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:15 AM

well im going to part it out but i dont think i can do it for a while so my email is steeltitanpro@gmail.com email me with the part and price you are willing to pay and i will get back with u thank all of u for your help =D