Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

high mileage turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high mileage turbo

ok so i have a 99 ex with the y8 in it and im wanting to run boost. The motor has 130k on it and i was wondering if that is to many miles to boost it and it still be reliable?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: high mileage turbo

its fine do it. every1 has these kind of miles on there car too unless they rebuild it. it will be bad if you keep turning up the boost...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what i thought. I would only be running about 6-7 psi on stock internals how long do you think my motor would last?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on what quality parts you get. you can go 200k on a turbo kit if you keep up the maintance and your not 2stepn at 8k rpm at every red light. you can do 10lbs. you could easily get 10k miles out of it. people will argue but some have had more than 10lbs on a stock D series for months. of course replace things like water pump if it sux and get good gaskets ie maintanence
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 230,000 on my 1.6 And i boosted it like 10,000 miles ago untill i could finish building my b18 and it runs good i run 10 psi all day long, just stay out of the gas on a daily basis only run it hard every once in a while
Old 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM

The PSI is not as important as the amount of "volumetric flow" there is. So, saying "x" boost is okay really has little meaning. What must be known is the amount of air flowing through the motor. For example most who run a T3/T4 ball bearing turbo with a moderate .46 trim can get up to about "10psi" from that model with no problems.

Boosting a D series motor is easy and can be done without being too concerned for the internals unless you go beyond 200hp. These motors are strong and capable. Buy some good head studs and head gasket to keep the pressure in and under control. Use premium fuel and get a wideband O2 sensor to keep track of your AFR. Just make certain that you get the car tuned so that you have no detonation because that will kill the motor long before the "boost" will. A good tune and your motor will run another 100,000 miles.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shailoche
The PSI is not as important as the amount of "volumetric flow" there is. So, saying "x" boost is okay really has little meaning. What must be known is the amount of air flowing through the motor. For example most who run a T3/T4 ball bearing turbo with a moderate .46 trim can get up to about "10psi" from that model with no problems.

Boosting a D series motor is easy and can be done without being too concerned for the internals unless you go beyond 200hp. These motors are strong and capable. Buy some good head studs and head gasket to keep the pressure in and under control. Use premium fuel and get a wideband O2 sensor to keep track of your AFR. Just make certain that you get the car tuned so that you have no detonation because that will kill the motor long before the "boost" will. A good tune and your motor will run another 100,000 miles.

ok now that what i wanted to hear lol. How much do you think it would cost to do all of this?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ebay kit it, 800$
DSM Blue top injectors, get a high flow walbro fuel pump - 200$

When you swap your motor or rebuild your internals you dont need a good turbo.

A cheap ebay turbo can run 10 psi with ease
Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you could peice together a kit for around 1200-1500 easily...tuning will prolly cost around 500...therefor you have a mid 13 second car or quicker for less than what it costs to swap in a b16 and run 15s and up with the b16
Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheCivicMafia
A cheap ebay turbo can run 10 psi with ease
stop saying this
Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its the truth. if your only going to run 6-8 psi a new ebay turbo will work just as good as a turbonetics or a greddy,

i have a garrett t3 turbo for my b18 and i dont see where it works any better at low psi then the crappy ebay one i got for the 1.6 thats in my car right now. Maybe its more durable but it'll get the job done.

Yeah right, 13's in a 1.6 on stock internals... I can see it lasting a long time.

My b18 Provides almost the same preformance as a d16. D series is garbage.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

dont think of it as psi.. psi is noithing think of horsepower. how horsepower do you want.

some people say its better to boost a single when they have some miles on them.
but you should be fine. and please dont use a ebay kit if you want relaiblity sure some people have ok results but it doesnt always happen pick up a greddy or eldelbrok kit or make your own. and get a good TUNE!!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are some rough prices on a good reliable turbo kit. Everything ill need a durable set up pretty much for 8PSI. Or right at or right under 200WHP

I'm just wanting a rough estimate like most others.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mattkins91
ok now that what i wanted to hear lol. How much do you think it would cost to do all of this?
Well some people have been able to put together "junkyard" builds for $1,000. Buying a pre-fabbed kit would go for $2500 or more from www.procivic.com As long as you spend your time checking out the "junkyard" parts and make certain that they are good quality and in good condition you can have good reliability.

Spend the money on a good tuning solution though. Get a Hondata chipped ECU and a wideband O2 sensor and make sure you are running correct AFR's. The rest of your turbo system isn't as important as making sure the tuning is done correctly. There are many members who have gotten junked turbos off of old Ford Probes or Plymouth Conquests and mocked up cheap homemade intercoolers and are running 200whp with no problems. Their secret isn't the amount of money they spent on the turbo or the intercooler. It isn't the fact that they are mechanical geniuses either. It is simply that they paid for a good tuning solution and made sure their cars didn't have any detonation while running. If you do that, you can run the car pretty hard and use the turbo as much as you want without much worry about blowing your motor. Of course you won't be able to make 500hp or something but you can have a fun 200hp.

That is usually the secrete to OEM turbo motors like the WRX or EVO. They don't necessarily use the highest end turbos or hardware. In fact they sometimes use really low end parts to save money. But, what they do is make certain that the engine is "tuned" properly for the equipment installed on the car. They don't usually aim to make the most power they possibly can with the hardware they have. They tune the car for reliability and constant power availability. That should be your goal if you want to have a car that can be driven daily without worrying about killing the engine.

As a very wise moderator on this site is fond of saying:

1. Cheap
2. Reliable
3. Powerful

Pick any two of the three because you can't have it all.
For your situation I would choose numbers 1 and 2. Get a cheap reliable 200hp and let everyone else fight over huge dyno numbers.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

their is a turbo off a 88 ford probe in the junk yard now lol. are those good turbos? what else would i need to buy?

^^^
Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, Spend 1,500$ on a good t3 turbo for no reason. Just listen to them, People wasting money for nothing.

If you only running 6-8 psi you should be okay on stock axels, if your going over 200-250 Hp you need to upgrade these.

If you plan on swapping motors someday you should invest in an expensive kit like a garrett, I bought a garret for my b18 because im rebuilding the internals for 15 psi+

I bought an ebay kit for my d15 with 1.6 head i've interchanged the two turbos for the 10 psi and ill tell you from experience. theres no difference with that little psi, MAYBE a .25 Second boost lag. But your not going to get much power out of that 1.6 anyways.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the difference in the turbos is that ebay turbos the bearings come apart after 1000 miles. ^^^^
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IS this so? Ive had an ebay kit on my d16 for

about 5500 Miles the motor itself has been boosted for about 10,000 miles and mine runs perfect still.

And i run mine hard. I dont like to stay out of the gas
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, Spend 1,500$ on a good t3 turbo for no reason. Just listen to them, People wasting money for nothing.

If you only running 6-8 psi you should be okay on stock axels, if your going over 200-250 Hp you need to upgrade these.

If you plan on swapping motors someday you should invest in an expensive kit like a garrett, I bought a garret for my b18 because im rebuilding the internals for 15 psi+

I bought an ebay kit for my d15 with 1.6 head i've interchanged the two turbos for the 10 psi and ill tell you from experience. theres no difference with that little psi, MAYBE a .25 Second boost lag. But your not going to get much power out of that 1.6 anyways.
ok first off...you do not need to upgrade your axles one bit unless you want to brake your transmission instead of your axle...lets see a 100 dollar axle with lifetime free replacement from any auto store or lets break a 500 dollar transmission...second no one replaces internals for "psi" not one aftermarket rod/piston is rated for "psi" its rated for HORSEPOWER...im planning on running close to 15psi on my STOCK motor when i get my tune....third the "whole people wasting money" on good parts thing is one of the most ignorant statements ive ever heard on this site...stop misleading people
Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah right, 13's in a 1.6 on stock internals... I can see it lasting a long time.
its called getting tuned
Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
their is a turbo off a 88 ford probe in the junk yard now lol. are those good turbos? what else would i need to buy?

^^^
Can't say that they are the "best" turbo out there. But for the cost you can't do much better. I mean most junked Probe turbos are selling for like $100 or so. They can make good horsepower numbers and their trim is such that they spool quickly and make some low end usable power. Since they spool quickly you won't get high end power and the curve slopes off quickly but you can usually get to 200whp with one of them and a good tune.

For my money I would buy one as long as there was no shaft play.

Otherwise you would have to get a turbo off of an old Eclipse or Eagle Talon. Those turbos are pretty good too and there are a lot of them in junk yards.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I would do a RHMT build any day over eBay. I built a full kit minus IC piping for $750. Took my time and found the deals on the parts. This was all decent quality parts too, not eBay china knockoffs.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by turbojdmhatch
its called getting tuned
It seems like nobody is listening to you or me.

Am I right?

Some of the best money you can spend on your car is getting a good tune. Damn, even stock WRX, EVO, Covette, Porsche, and such can benefit from tuning. Tacking on a turbo to an older Honda engine is like adding 10lbs of dynamite to the motor unless you TUNE it properly. Almost every engine build done could benefit from a proper tuning solution but so many wannabes out there think it is a waste of money. I would rather spend $200-$500 getting my car tuned properly than $2500 rebuilding my motor.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shailoche

Some of the best money you can spend on your car is getting a good tune.
200% correct. A build is worthless without tune. Hell to really see the benefits you should have your car tuned after bolt ons.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Vietnamese!

Tuning is the key.

Quick Reply: high mileage turbo