Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

high flow cat converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high flow cat converter

Not sure if I should buy just the converter or save up for a full cat back system. I really just want the performence benifits without the super loud noise.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: high flow cat converter (surfmanvabeach)

well putting a high flow on will only make it louder... just save for a good cat back
Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: high flow cat converter (surfmanvabeach)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by surfmanvabeach &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure if I should buy just the converter or save up for a full cat back system. I really just want the performence benifits without the super loud noise. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well....the cat back exhaust is FROM the cat back. Are you assuming you'd get a cat with the exhaust or are you saying you'd rather do one or the other?

Your stock converter is probably fine. Dont waste your money/time. Leave your stock converter on there, and get a nice catback like the APEXi world sport. I love that exhaust. It's so nice and quiet..and it looks so good....and it sounds so good lol. It really is the *****.

You can even get the World Sport "noir" (french for black). It looks very stock.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high flow cat converter (B serious)

the ws2 is very sexy i got that on my accord... but the factory cat is actually better, it makes better torque over highflow.. and will "muffle" the sound so it wont be so loud and raspy. even tho i have to say i dont have a cat on my car with the ws2 and it still sounds very sexy
Old 09-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: high flow cat converter (95_acc0rd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95_acc0rd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ws2 is very sexy i got that on my accord... but the factory cat is actually better, it makes better torque over highflow.. and will "muffle" the sound so it wont be so loud and raspy. even tho i have to say i dont have a cat on my car with the ws2 and it still sounds very sexy</TD></TR></TABLE>

I knew something smelled funny in warrenville. Put your cat back on, YO! Pollution FTL.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I knew something smelled funny in warrenville. Put your cat back on, YO! Pollution FTL. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Amen.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: high flow cat converter (alacard)

i dont got money for a cat, im buildin a civic.... and i cant just put it back on cause we had to cut and weld the b pipe to fit it to the cat back... it goes head to header header to b pipe b pipe to cat back no room
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Buy a used cat for around $50. Try ONE6 in arlington heights. I'm sure they have something. $50-$70 to be able to breath in 20 years....iduno...i think it's a good price. Be responsible, yo.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said its a one pice b pipe straight to the catback... im not gonna waist time and money on a car im selling. i see where your comin from tho... i wouldent go to one6 first there too far second they over price **** third whipfactorys my shop
Old 09-06-2007, 08:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95_acc0rd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like i said its a one pice b pipe straight to the catback... im not gonna waist time and money on a car im selling. i see where your comin from tho... i wouldent go to one6 first there too far second they over price **** third whipfactorys my shop</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOOOT?!! lol dave's a cool guy and all, dont get me wrong. But ONE6 is the ****. I guess it's because I know Mark, and Louis better. Me and Dusty go WAYYY back...but I dont know how long he's gonna be there. I always get deals. Plus the service is unbeatable. I guess you just gotta know the guys there. Me and my friends know those guys pretty well. lol Whip factory is probably 5 min from my house. But I always go to ONE6 anyway.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

High flow cats are not expensive at all, and still allow you to have the higher flow that you need. But whatever, its your choice in the end...just don't make up excuses about it being expensive.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alacard)

higher flow cat and a apex ws2 will sound nice. i have a ws2 with NO cat and i think it sounds awesome. not super loud at all.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:56 PM

im gettin the password:jdm cat for my set up. dc header, password cat and apexi n1. hopefully be on by the end of the weekend
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: (team_work)

Dont waste money on a name brand catback system. Unless your building a show car, whos gonna see the pipes under your car? NOONE! Kteller.com piping, plus 2 medium resonators, and a high flow cat, and a muffler of your choice, like the WS2 or a vibrant or something. That will get you what you need. All for around the same price, or less, depending on what you get.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: (sol2hatch)

well the REAL catback WS2 is baffled, or chambered or whatever, not straight through. That's why it's quiet and sounds nice. Straight through is too loud for me.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: (B serious)

the set up I told you is not loud, I have it on my car
Old 09-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 resonators sound excessive. i guess theyre cheap resonators?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (marshun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WOOOT?!! lol dave's a cool guy and all, dont get me wrong. But ONE6 is the ****. I guess it's because I know Mark, and Louis better. Me and Dusty go WAYYY back...but I dont know how long he's gonna be there. I always get deals. Plus the service is unbeatable. I guess you just gotta know the guys there. Me and my friends know those guys pretty well. lol Whip factory is probably 5 min from my house. But I always go to ONE6 anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah im straight with everyone and whipfactory ... i bought there shop civic.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">High flow cats are not expensive at all, and still allow you to have the higher flow that you need. But whatever, its your choice in the end...just don't make up excuses about it being expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>
and dont tell me im making up excuses about being expensive.. why would i wast money on something thast being sold.. and anyway i woudent buy a highflow if im getting a cat it would be factory honda ... its less flowing so theres not as much hp but tq is higher with a stock cat over a high flow
Old 09-07-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Re: (95_acc0rd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95_acc0rd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah im straight with everyone and whipfactory ... i bought there shop civic.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Know what i just remembered? Password JDM was founded by Leo. Leo used to work at/own whip factory. He gave me a bunch of free **** because he wanted me and my friend with a turbo miata to park our cars in his booth at a show. He was a pretty cool guy. He gave me this cusco bar for my S13 and told me to pay him "whenever". I kept forgetting...it ended up being like 3 years lol. Small world, though.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on my car i use the stock cat, it was a bitch to save it but it sounds way better than the "high flow cat" i put in. and really the performance you gain from a high flow is really nothing.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marshun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 resonators sound excessive. i guess theyre cheap resonators?</TD></TR></TABLE>

2 resonators if you dont have a cat, one long one if you do. resonators really keep the raspy sound down.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (denniscoles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denniscoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my car i use the stock cat, it was a bitch to save it but it sounds way better than the "high flow cat" i put in. and really the performance you gain from a high flow is really nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

. I had an OBD1 B16A swap in my Eg. Then i bought an Ek. a 99 DX. The dx has the cat on the header. So when i put in the B16A, the downpipe went all the way to the exhaust with no room for the cat.

I had an extra cat from my friend's old del sol...that got....well...nevermind. I hated the sound of the car with no cat and felt really guilty about the pollution lol. I had no choice but to drive like that for about a week. It sounded like ****!! anyway. I paid to have the cat welded on when i got the exhaust made. I had to get the exhaust made anyway...but even if I didn't i'd have paid to get a cat put in.

Before anyone else says anything...im not a tree hugger. I'm an air breather.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2 resonators if you dont have a cat, one long one if you do. resonators really keep the raspy sound down. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. i know what resonators do. but your post up there says 2 resonators, high flow cat and the muffler. so i was thinkin "why the hell?"

another suggestion i got is just get something like a ws2 and a test pipe. unless your cat convertor is dead. then, you need a new cat anyway. the ws2 is not loud at all. im looking into gettin a exhaust cut out so i can open it up for track events
Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marshun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol. i know what resonators do. but your post up there says 2 resonators, high flow cat and the muffler. so i was thinkin "why the hell?"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i meant just one resonator if you have a cat. I was running no cat and a resonator, and it was still to loud/raspy, so I put a high flow cat on, I imagine a second resonator in place of the cat would have done alot to help to, thats why I say 2 resonators if you dont have a cat
Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95_acc0rd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95_acc0rd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and dont tell me im making up excuses about being expensive.. why would i wast money on something thast being sold.. and anyway i woudent buy a highflow if im getting a cat it would be factory honda ... its less flowing so theres not as much hp but tq is higher with a stock cat over a high flow</TD></TR></TABLE>

Waste money on something thats being sold? what are you even trying to say?...and It all depends your setup. If you have a stock single cam...then obviously you would not want to get a 2.5" high flow cat..that wouldn't help your performance at all. Now if you are a running a boosted b18c1 and you have a 3" exhaust...then that is a different story. I assumed that if you were planning on getting an exhaust...that you actually had something done to the engine that required a higher-flowing exhaust.

btw...when you say you won't buy something because its too expensive...when in reality it isn't at all....that would be classified as an excuse

Quick Reply: high flow cat converter