Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding?

I just recently got a job as a snowboard instructor at Stevens Pass, WA and I am wondering if my hatch will make it in the snow.

I have an EG with B16 swap. I've been looking into buying some Bridegstone Blizzak tires for the stock rims. Does anyone have any experience driving Hondas up to the mountain. Any info/firsthand experience would be great!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding? (ej1civic)

made it up to tahoe fine with my friend's integra. make sure your tires are good, and have chains. of course the obvious, don't drive fast . goodluck to you
Old 10-18-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding? (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jL iLLuZiOnz 9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">made it up to tahoe fine with my friend's integra. make sure your tires are good, and have chains. of course the obvious, don't drive fast . goodluck to you </TD></TR></TABLE>

Will chains still be necessary with snow tires? Did you use chains on your friends Integra?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i used them just to be more safe. doesn't hurt to have them.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:33 AM

when your vehicle gets up into the mountains the thinner air will provide less oxygen to you engine, giving you less power, also don't have the car real low obviously, deep snow can and will strand you. Chains and studded snow tires will help you out alot too, take it easy
Old 10-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (Pioneer162)

I loved the way my Civic(s) drove in the snow when we've had freak storms here in GA.

Front wheel drive is definately better than any RWD trucks/SUVs that soccer moms trudge through the snow in.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:03 AM
Electrician

Buy a 4WD beater.

Living in NYC, we had a good amount of snow drop on us every year. The Accord I had and the Accordmy parents had never flinched. Decent traction with FWD.

Thank God we have a 97 Grand Cherokee 4x4 now.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

Blizzaks are nice tires, but they are rediculously overpriced. You can get similar performance form something that is half the price.

If it matters, my civic is GREAT in the snow. I have a 50 mile trek to work and I've never had a problem here in Connecticut's winters. ABS would be nice though.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:11 AM

I have an '87 Si that has bigger more aggressive tires and a higher stance. I drive that in the winter, and leave my 3" dropped '96 hatch for the summer for obvious reasons.

Oddly enough though, I can't wait to play in the snow with the Si this year!
Old 10-18-2004, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding? (knoj)

ull be okay, just get some higher profile tires, dont lower it and go slow
Old 10-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding? (itr_eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr_eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ull be okay, just get some higher profile tires, dont lower it and go slow</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, along with good advice like this...drive like a grandma and you will be fine.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:48 AM

I have made it in snow about 6 inches deep on my summer tires (driving VERY carefully) and about 8 inches deep with snows... any deeper and the front end starts to climb onto the snow.....

BUT yes, you civic is front drive, should have no problems as long as you drive with good sense.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:15 AM

thin wheels cut snow better than wide ones, don't use the engine to brake (downshifting) it will just induce slide, be carefull, drive like grandma.....
Old 10-18-2004, 06:18 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej1civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just recently got a job as a snowboard instructor at Stevens Pass, WA and I am wondering if my hatch will make it in the snow.

I have an EG with B16 swap. I've been looking into buying some Bridegstone Blizzak tires for the stock rims. Does anyone have any experience driving Hondas up to the mountain. Any info/firsthand experience would be great!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
A friend of mine is a ski instructor, and drives a '94 Integra GSR daily. All you need are studded snow tires and a brain. Make sure your car is at a reasonable height as well. You will also regret not opting for an LSD with your swap if you don't have one

Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blizzacks and a stock hieght will do fine, just remember you wont have as much horsepower so keep it easy, i leave in upstate NY and i drove my 96 coupe thorugh the snow with some walmart snows only lost it once cause some truck decided to make a vearing path infront of me, just be careful if your following someone cause at times your car will tend to follow their tracks a lil same in just rain if your tires suck in rain like my dunlops did
Old 10-18-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding? (accident prone)

Drive really slow (g'ma style) and keep focus on the road. I've seen several cars planted on the roadside victim of black ice and stupid driving last season.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding? (JamesQ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JamesQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drive really slow (g'ma style) and keep focus on the road. I've seen several cars planted on the roadside victim of black ice and stupid driving last season. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol I always chuckle as I'm passing cadillacs stranded in the snowbanks along the highway....
Old 10-18-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: HELP!!! Will my hatch make it snowboarding? (JamesQ)

I am the guy that also ski instruts, we do not get as much snow a stevens pass(the snowest place in the US) ,but still manage about 200 inch a year.

First for the car do not get blizzaks i would get studs on the front and good snow tires on the back, second get LSD if you do not already have one. also since most western resorts require chains when it is snowing hard get theese 2(you will need them). If you have abs make sure it is working(ABS is godsend in the winter).

Then do drive smoothly, but not that slow you need speed to keep your momentum up(i drive above the speed limits when i can and when i feel it is safe). remember snow has a hell of alot more traction than ice, higher gears will work better, E-brake slides work well for tight corners, the gas will straighten the car out, and dont drive like a grandma grandmas get stuck.

Have fun with it too i prefer driving in the snow cause in pittsburgh, everyone is scared of the snow so nobody drive, cops arent out patorling as much, and when you hit a snow bank 999 out of 1000 time it will not damage you car(stevens pass in the winter has snowbanks that are *** high as semi that what 500inches a year get you). Have fun with you new job at stevens.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:46 PM
M12
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody have any trouble in the snow with a big rear sway?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:46 PM

hey man i think everyone here drives hondas and i think i speak for all of us are you kidding me! you can ****** beat the **** out of that thing and still make it back and forth.