Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP turning JDM Odometer back

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 HELP turning JDM Odometer back

Does anyone know how I turn the Odometer on my new JDM cluster to match my actual mileage from my stock cluster?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: HELP turning JDM Odometer back

call your local honda dealer would be what i do.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, take it apart and turn the dial's back. I did that awhile back with a JDM GSR cluster. Its pretty easy. Just take your time when taking it apart. Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM

/illegal/
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know how to take it apart?
Honda-Tech Member

illegal, but doing to make it actual mileage-and never gonna sell it anyways.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_WHR
illegal, but doing to make it actual mileage-and never gonna sell it anyways.
If one was not going to re-sell their car, then why change the mileage at all? What difference does the mileage on the odometer make to the functioning of the vehicle unless it is to represent the lifespan? Rolling back the odometer is only ever done to make the car appear more valuable.

This thread is similar to those who ask how to bypass the wheel lock/ignition cylinder lock on their cars. They are likely trying to steal a car. By rolling back the odometer the owner of the car is attempting to "steal" from the future owner. Otherwise, having an odometer that reads X miles means nothing.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:21 PM

^^^very well said and truthful.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by shailoche
/illegal/
right but not in all states
they allow you to do this someplaces, if the cars oem cluster is stolen, broken, or you replace the engine they will allow you to ,match the engine miles.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 98civdx
right but not in all states
they allow you to do this someplaces, if the cars oem cluster is stolen, broken, or you replace the engine they will allow you to ,match the engine miles.
According to the OP none of these is the case.
He bought a used JDM cluster and wants to replace his functioning USDM cluster with it but states that he wants to show his current mileage (which may or may not be true.)
Either way it isn't really appropriate to be doing that and we can't do that on this site. It can be considered fraud and according to the forum rules, Honda-Tech doesn't allow information to passed along that would allow someone to defraud/steal from others. That type of information is not to be exchanged. That was my only concern.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Master Detailer

^^ you are correct. and your also correct with saying its illegal to do because it is.

but its not to my knowlege, illegal to MATCH millage, not lowering it so someone can sell a car with 260k and he wants its to say 60k so he can get more money.

also we dont know if it works or not the op didnt say... i understand your concern 100%, and would never tell someone how to do something illegal.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering about this myself for when i go to sell my car, i just replaced mine. My car really has 289k but the new cluster has 160k so should i just mark down what the new cluster started at and when i sell ad the miles onto the original?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM

well in most states, vehicles over 90000 miles are considered beyond mechanical excess and are not required by law to have the mileage reported on bill of sale or title. For your car to have 289k and the cluster to show 160k, its more or less in good faith that your selling it and telling the new owner, but if you want to keep track, write it down in your owner's manual. Also it is not illegal in all states to adjust mileage to match, however, it is illegal for a individual to change it. You must take it to a certified place to have the mileage adjusted. If you truly want your odometer fixed, drive into the dealership, show them the actual mileage on your odo in your stock cluster, and ask them to match the new one.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wouldn't doing this be irrelevant anyways. I'm not 100% sure on this but don't JDM clusters odometer read in kilometers instead of miles?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:13 AM

^^ you are correct. and your also correct with saying its illegal to do because it is.

but its not to my knowlege, illegal to MATCH millage, not lowering it so someone can sell a car with 260k and he wants its to say 60k so he can get more money.

also we dont know if it works or not the op didnt say... i understand your concern 100%, and would never tell someone how to do something illegal.
Matching or lowering makes no difference, the fact remains that the odometer isn't to be touched. This issue spawned from a serious problem in the 1960's and 1970's where large dealerships would commonly roll back the mileage on their used vehicles in order to get more money for them. The federal government enacted laws during the 1980's (1984 to be exact) to prevent this type of action in order to protect unsuspecting buyers. At this point in time I am certain that nobody can legally change your odometer for you to match or reduce the mileage shown.

It is important to note that according to the NHTSA rolling back the odometer, regardless of the situation, is illegal in every state. It is a felony offense in all cases because it constitutes fraud.

I could offer you at least 25 links to GOVERNMENT WEBSITES stating the exact same thing. These are not wikipedia or someone's personal web page. These are local, state, and federal websites. And all of them say that no one is allowed to rollback the odometer under any circumstance. If the odometer is changed for a functioning unit it is your choice to use a factory new part with 0 miles on it or a used part with 255,621 miles on it. But under no circumstance can you alter the odometer.

I am not talking out of my *** on this one and as such read the proof for yourself.

Read:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...20087dba046a0/

http://www.usdoj.gov/civil/ocl/monograph/odom.htm

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr580_02.html

http://www2.state.ga.us/GaOCA/Bro_odo.htm

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/misc/odom_tamp.htm
Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would tell you but this is turning into a shitshow. What i would do is take a picture (time stamped of course) of the stock gauge in the car, then make it a little more identifable somehow( like a pic on your interior just to prove it came out of that car) remove old cluster, store in a good place then put the JDM one in. take a picture of that and time stamp it. then nobody can say you altered the mileage Because then you have proof.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would honestly just take it apart and figure it out, it cant be ThAT hard... illegal or not, if i swapped clusters, i would change mine to make it match my car.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I once had a gauge cluster that I took apart and changed the mileage.

I rolled it forward to 777,777.0

Once I rolled to 777,777.7 my car magically had vtec engaged on my non-vtec engine for the next 10th of a mile
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Master Detailer

99k20hatch- yes they read in km not miles

i never said your talking out your ***, i read threw what posted, and then did a little digging myslef. to find out a several sites, as long as you document it, ie, telling new owner (if one) and documenting why it was replace, when and in what state it was then you should be ok,
also everything you posted is about lowering it sell the vehicle, not because it has been stolen or is not functing.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:06 AM

99k20hatch- yes they read in km not miles

i never said your talking out your ***, i read threw what posted, and then did a little digging myslef. to find out a several sites, as long as you document it, ie, telling new owner (if one) and documenting why it was replace, when and in what state it was then you should be ok,
also everything you posted is about lowering it sell the vehicle, not because it has been stolen or is not functing.
You make a good point but all I am worried about is the liability of telling people how to do something that is illegal. This isn't kid's stuff illegal, it is felony illegal. Just because somebody has a "good reason" for doing the adjustment and has photographic evidence of their correct mileage doesn't free them from responsibility for doing something illegal.

The simple act of altering the odometer, regardless of the reasoning, is illegal. It doesn't matter if you do it to sell a vehicle for more money or are just trying to "represent" the true mileage of the vehicle. Either of those can get you in the end.

The OP will have no problems if he keeps the car forever. But, if he EVER sells the car then the law could catch up to him. My only concern is for the forum and it's members.

There is an important statement which is taught in law school and it goes, "Ignorance does not constitute innocence." So, I am trying to inform members about the potential problems which can occur. I would hate to see some of my buddies and fellow forum members get busted, for a felony offense, simply because they were not informed.