Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with power door lock install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with power door lock install?

Disclaimer: I'm the quintessential newbie to everything H-T is about. In fact, I"m not even sure this is the right place to post this question.

I'm installing power door locks on my '95 honda civic (1.5L SOHC), which will be my first mod.

How do I disable/remove the functionality of the driver's door lock that requires you to pull out the door handle while locking/unlocking the door? This is an obvious problem with the typical after-market power door locks.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Help with power door lock install? (anomaly)

you dont......?? i might be wrong but im pretty sure it cant be removed.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Help with power door lock install? (DelSol808)

you dont......?? i might be wrong but im pretty sure it cant be removed.
Please don't say that....

I would really like to find out if it's possible to modify (probably the easiest solutions if it's possible).... but if not, maybe I can go to a junk yard or a dealer and get a stock passenger door (one behind driver) latch/locking mechanism and replace it?
*sigh* I just don't want to find out I wasted money on power door locks for all 4 doors
Old 08-21-2002, 08:10 PM

you might just go get non factory locking handles and try that it might work. but as far as i know you cant modify the handles....... if you can lemme know
Old 08-21-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Help with power door lock install? (DelSol808)

you might just go get non factory locking handles and try that it might work. but as far as i know you cant modify the handles....... if you can lemme know
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think getting non-factory handles to replace the existing ones will help, unless it replaces the entire locking and latching mechanism.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:03 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You DO NOT need to remove or disable this part of the locking door.. i had these installed on my old si hatch.. it can be a pain in the ***.. but its not to difficult.. basically the part that you bought (cant think of what they are called) should have 2 wires i think, one that locks, and one that unlocks, connect it to the rod that is going to the door and it will pull or push it to un/lock. if you have directions it will be easier but to tell someone how to do it can be tricky.. i would honestly go the audio/security forum and see if they can help you out more.. maybe someone has a DIY on this install
Old 08-21-2002, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Help with power door lock install? (95CivicEX)

Thanks for your input....
However, I have already installed it on the other doors, and the problem with the driver's door is that when connected to the actuator by the steel dowel rod, it cannot push the lock up (unlock) or down (lock) unless the door handle is held out.

That's a good idea though... I'll post over in the security forum and see if anyone has dealt with this specifically...

p.s. the actuator might also be known as the solenoid... The set I bought has 5 wires for the front doors (which causes all the locks to be locked/unlocked when the locks on the front doors are changed).

[Modified by anomaly, 1:13 AM 8/22/2002]