Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP PLS, MY TYPE R WONT RUN

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY TYPE R DEL SOL WONT RUN!! PLS HELP ME!

Ok everybody pls , i need all help from any honda experts!!! I'm stumped and i dont know what to do anymore!

Here are the specs

MOTOR: 1997 Type R SWAP
Chassis : 1994 obd1 DEL SOL

This motor came out of my friends fully operable 1997 integra type r. I converted this swap to obd1, i used a del sol dohc vtec distributor, a b series obd1 alternator, (ive tried using a p30 (del sol dohc ecu) and p28 (single chipped) and an obd1 single vtec wiring harness. My friend put the wiring harness together, he extended the 02, and extended the vtec silenoid wire and another sensor wire right next to it. I have absolutely no check engine lights at all.... however heres where the problems begin....

it takes about 5 seconds for my car to start, a normal car doesnt have to crank that much... but it cranks for a while then it turns on. (the point is it cranks twice as long as the other 7 b-series motors ive owned.) The car idles perfectly, it doesnt surge or do anything crazy... but when i give it more than a quarter throttle, or it goes over 3000 rpms, the car wants to die and the rpms drop horrible. it gets to zero then struggles to stay on. if i try to give it a lot of gas and rev the motor up, the rpms just drop and it wants to die. i have no check engine lights what so ever. Is it doing this because an obd2 sensor isnt plugged in anymore, or something to do with fuel or im not sure??? something to do with an oil pressure line the motor has to run off of?? or whats going on? because obd2 has more plugs and stuff like that. in my del sol before i swapped it i had a gsr in there and sold it, and my car ran fine, my friend had the type r in his car and it ran fine also. So im really confused why i have no check lights, but the rpms wont pick up?? pls can any honda expert help me!!! THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude put your flame suit on
Old 04-30-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

why?? lol it doenst sound like its about to blow up or catch fire.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you arent getting a code you need to look at your fuel pressure, sounds like its choking.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (egcivicdelsol)

Sounds to me like you're having fuel pressure issues. Next time you start it, turn the key on then off waiting a couple seconds between each (just dash lights, don't crank). This'll let the pump run a few seconds each cycle. Then try cranking.

It this gets is running right off the bat, you're fuel pressure is bleeding down. Either the FPR is bleeding down or the pump checkball. Make sure you have the correct fuel pressure. I believe it's 47-50 in a Type-R with the vacuum line disconnected.

I'd have probably converted to OBD2 with a adapter harness and extending some wires. You're going to have to get this tuned before it's safe to drive using those other ECU's.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

how exactly do i look at the fuel pressure??? what ive done so far.... to check things, is ive switched distributors, ive switched ecus, ive switched map sensor... and a bunch of crap like that and nothing has solved it. I took off the line closest to the driver side, the gas line hose that goes into the regulator, and fuel leaks out. I loosened the bolt on the end of the fuel rail, and gas started to shoot out like it had a lot of pressure... but ur right it completely seems like its chocking out... could it have anything to do with throttle cable not installed properly or wrong throttle cable, i just used a single throttle cable, but i dont think that should be a problem.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:54 PM

yeah ive turned the ignition on the on position, let the gas go through... and i wait a few seconds, and i try to start it and i still get the same result... also

ok well i didnt know there was a conversion harness i could use... ok if i were to put the ITR wiring harness back on, because i still have it, and it hasnt been butchered or anything like that... would it plug in on both sides of the firewall?? i reallly didnt get to much info from anybody when i was starting to swap it. or what kind of conversion harness is there to buy... because i still have the itr wiring harness. thx.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the itr wire harness it should plug right in. will have 1 plug on pass side that you wont need
Old 04-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im saying it has 2 be a bad fuel pump or something in the fuel system if you disconnect the fuel line and turn the key is going to thro fuel but it may not be enough than it needs for the car to run fine the fuel pump may be going bad but is not gone yet i say get a fuel gauge and try it out
Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: (Gdm92hatch)

car sounds like its ethier firing on the wrong cylinder or not getting fuel into the right cylinders...you said a GSR swap and it ran fine....hype R wouldn't need anymore fuel...but an upgraded pump would be nice

i'm thinking you may have the injectors firing at the wrong time....check your wiring on those....your "friend" proboly just slammed them on there thinking who cares....but there is a certain order then go in....

also check the plug order on the dizzy
Old 04-30-2006, 08:16 PM

check your grounds too
Old 04-30-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Re: (jdmsijdm)

You didn't mix up your TPS and MAP sensor plugs did you?
Goodluck.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Re: (gunnis)

Well if i use the itr harness, i have to get the itr dizzy back, and itr alternator back, and other **** it would just be a huge pain. i ordered a del sol dohc harness on ebay and the moron sent me a z6 wiring harness. so thats why im using it in the first place. anyway i think the harness he sent me is just crap. yeah im going to check tmw whether or not the injectors are wired up correctly. tomorrow i should have things figured out. i appreciate the advice any more would be helpful also. it sounds like its just not getting enough fuel. and ive never touched the regulator. and tps and map installed right. iavc is fine also. i think it might be a screwed up wiring harness that is just shitty or the injectors wired up wrong... if the throttle cable wasnt installed correctly on the pedal would that make a difference... ?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:35 PM

i had same problem a while back....i'm 99% positive the injectors just wired up incorrectly....or the plug order...just double check...but personally i think its the injectors..i dono why all of a sudden after running a Gsr in the car it wouldn't run the R...i also don't see how it could be your harness b/c there is no CEL... good luck and your welcome
Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MY TYPE R DEL SOL WONT RUN!! PLS HELP ME! (egcivicdelsol)

its most like because you forgot to put the R emblems on the sol
Old 05-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MY TYPE R DEL SOL WONT RUN!! PLS HELP ME! (slodel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slodel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its most like because you forgot to put the R emblems on the sol </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MY TYPE R DEL SOL WONT RUN!! PLS HELP ME! (egcivicdelsol)

i think its in the distributor ....the ignitor most likely .......
Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MY TYPE R DEL SOL WONT RUN!! PLS HELP ME! (underb00steg6)

try changing out the ignitor
Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 AM

Yeah i was thinking it could be the injectors... like he wired up some incorrectly so its not getting the appropriate gas it needs when u give it some throttle. so maybe 1 or 2 is wired up correctly, but is there a check engine light for bad injectors or no??? im going to take a look at that problem today. will post back around 3 the suggestions are going to help me come to a conclusion, this is an add problem and all input helps. btw, i think the problem is because i forgot the type r spoiler and emblems when i did my conversion.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks to me like you don't have the right tools to trouble-shoot this. You're just grasping at straws. The comment on the TPS and Map sensor plugs is absolutely the best one here. It's very easy to swap them and nothing will run right if they're swapped.

The fact you can get it running and it'll idle pretty much means it's not firing order. I'd check every solder joint and polarity on each wire. You need to be using an ECU which knows how to drive the IAC on the Integra engine. Some civics, use a stepper motor, some use the plunger type IAC. The stepper motor type wiring harness is wrong at the ECU end so, the proper wires don't go to the IAC plug.

So, 3 wire is stepper motor, 2 wire is plunger type IAC. It's an issue on newer civics. I think the older ones are all plunger type IAC.

When I did this swap, I mated the stock Civic DX harness to the R integra harness. It was the longest part of the swap process. Took me 3 days to get it right.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Re: (MasterKwan)

Sounds like the distributor is 180 degrees out, are you sure that when you installed it you had the rotor pointed the right direction.

Oh and stay 0bd1, its better for passing emissions, if emissions aren't a concern then do whatever works.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MotorMouth)

You can't install a Honda distributer 180 out. They're keyed and bolt directly to the intake cam shaft.

Jesus, if you guys don't know, don't confuse this guy with bad information.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 AM

we had the same exact problem with an LS swap, it ended up being that the main ground, the big *** one i want to say its down near where the tranny meets the block, just wasnt bolted down tight enough.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:08 PM

u know that could definitely be it. hm the ground could not be tightened down all the way thats a good point, let me go look and see whats up with that. yeah the distributor wasnt installed incorrectly, and its not the ignitor because its brand new. the injector wires are installed correctly... hmmm let me go see if i can figure anything else out, is there any possible way the harness could be bad?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude its your grounds or the switched around map ans tps sensor. you shoulda just used everything from the type r and used a chipped p28. i did a swap fro a friend and the motor is a JDM itr. i used a 97 integra LS harness and wired the vtec. everything works perfect

Quick Reply: HELP PLS, MY TYPE R WONT RUN